main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It is interesting that the Lib Dems got so harshly punished for the failings of the government while the Tories were rewarded for it.

It is crazy how many seats the SNP managed to get, especially given they got far fewer votes than the Greens or UKIP.

Good to see Farage resign, without him getting regular media exposure as leader I'm not sure how well UKIP will do in future.

2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Farage will probably be back in September, sadly.

3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of that on BBC News today.

5. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Jedi Ben and SithLordDarthRichie like this.
  6. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Dark times ahead.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The package of powers, first proposed in March, would allow courts to force a person to send their tweets and Facebook posts to the police for approval.

lol

8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yay oppression.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sigh.

Remember how I said despite all my problems with American-style freedom of speech, I'm glad it exists just because it can also nip overbreadth in the bid? This is why. The notion of the government being concerned with people's ideas while they're behaving in a law-abiding matter is troublesome (and completely missing the boat when it comes to combating extremism).

But I have to say that this surely would run afoul of article 2 of the ICCPR and articles 9 and 10 of the European Convention, no? I'm sure its proponents would argue that the security and public order safety valves would provide an exception, but there's no way Strasbourg would agree. Probably why they want to leave the court.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's been brought up elsewhere Jello that it falls foul of the Magna Carta no less!

Also years back I remember seeing that well known leftie Frederick Forsyth arguing that the UK did not need any new laws to deal with things, just use the ones it had properly!

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  13. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, good. If even the Eurosceptics see the danger I leaving the court, that's a good thing. I sometimes wondered if people confused the ECtHR for an EU institution when it isn't.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Not sure what's going on with UKIP;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32749501

Seem's to be some sort of power struggle between Farage and Carswell (Casrwell defected to UKIP from the Tories last year and is their only MP) but quite where the party of "fruitcakes and loons" is heading I'm not sure...

16. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    British Bill of Rights will literally be identical to the Humans Rights Act, but with one slight change: Supreme Court will be the arbiter in the UK, not the European Court of Human Rights.

17. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I honestly think Carswell will end up back with the Tories.

Cameron is a very lucky general. Labour in disarray, LibDem's dead and UKIP in the middle of a civil war. Only real opposition is the SNP, but Sturegon v Salmond split over independence will be something interesting to watch.

18. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm not sure the Tories would want Carswell back...

Meanwhile here's Nicola "locking the Cameron out of power"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[face_laugh]

19. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Deep down, Sturegon and the SNP prefer a Tory government; unlike Labour, Cameron is likely to give them additional powers on tax, welfare and spending (which Labour refuses to even consider)

20. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Of course they do... Their whole "locking the Tories out of power" spiel was designed to wind up the English and get Cameron elected... Worked like a dream.

I bet behind closed doors Dave and Nicola raised a "wee dram" to mutual success, LOL! [face_laugh]

21. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    It is amazing how much Labour have imploded in the last 9 days...

23. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I know things can change quickly but from where we are today it's hard to see how Labour get's back in 2020... Looks like Labour's got a decade in Opposition to me, which seemed unlikely when they lost in 2010...

24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Tories must be breathing a sigh of relief with Chuka Ummuna gone from the Labour leadership race.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    All that's left is for the Tories to go nuts and self-destruct....