main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The UK Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 6, 2015.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I was practicing a foreign tongue. Thought i would try something that makes the muricans feel comfortable.

Regrettably foreign linguistics is not my forte so the point may have been lost in its fuzzy translation.

The point being that bnp prove that they should just go and eat a ****.

Jedi Ben and Ender Sai like this.
  2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Have a feeling David Cameron and REMAIN are in big trouble with this referendum! [face_thinking]

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I hope so...(I'm in the Leave camp but I don't have a vote since I'm not eligible).

4. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005

I think we're royally buggered if we leave so I'm hoping you're wrong.

epic , V-2 and FatBurt like this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I don't agree. I think we might get instability in the short term but I think regaining control over things like borders, fishing rights, etc are worth it in the long term. I also don't want the UK to have to prop up Eurozone countries like Greece, Italy, etc.

6. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I think there are far too many unknowns for it to be worth the risk. I'd much rather address those issues as a part of Europe and with all the benefits that brings than stand alone with the Tories in charge.

epic , V-2, Mar17swgirl and 1 other person like this.
  7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm still expecting REMAIN to win but everything I'm seeing from REMAIN indicates to me that they are worried.

This is a genuine contest now, which I don't think it was really supposed to be... The leading members of REMAIN thought this would be an easy victory as it was in 1975, but something has gone wrong (probably just the anti-establishment mood that's been bubbling away under the surface since Iraq rather than anything particularly tangible)

Of course it's possible we're reliving in the Scottish referendum and people are just trying to give the "establishment" a fright but in the end REMAIN will win relatively comfortably? That's certainly what they'll be hoping is going on.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Considering the seriousness of it all, the politics of this EU referendum have been truly dire, rivalling the shenanigans on the other side of Atlantic even.

Ulicus and V-2 like this.
  9. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I believe that it will be similar to the Scottish referendum - it will be fairly close, but Remain will have it (although hopefully it won't be too close as to be within the margin of error).

In related news, Everton will be in the audience of tonight's debate on ITV at 8pm and hopefully will get to ask a question! :D

10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    will it be a question about fishing rights

11. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  12. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    i must question his priorities

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Sky News have a Q&A test to see where you fall on the referendum. I came out as a Traditionalist. You can try it out here. Most personal information they ask for is postcode and year of birth. There is an place to enter an email address but it's optional.

14. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Europhile

15. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Europhile as well.

16. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

How exciting.

I'm looking out for him!:D

17. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Cosmopolitan for me.

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Cosmopolitan for me, even though I'm not a Brit.

19. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005

Ditto.

As someone who's set on their voting choice I'm being driven slowly mad by all the coverage.

20. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Pretty good debate actually (with Boris, Angela (E) and Nicola all in the same room I was fearing the worse ;) )

I have LEAVE ahead on points at the moment but how much any of these debates really matters I don't know... Probably not much.

21. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    He's sitting in the front row on the right end (when looking at the audience), wearing a white short sleeved shirt.

G-FETT likes this.
  22. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well scored that as a slight win for LEAVE

Thought Andrea Leadsom and Gisela Stuart were very good for LEAVE.

REMAIN was surprisingly weak with Angela Eagle very poor. Nicola didn't seem to be there half the time (though I suspect she'll have appealed to Scottish voters which is the main thing from REMAINS POV) and Amber Rudd was at times very good and at times a little too hectoring.

That just leaves Boris who had a very low key night and was easily outshone by Andrea, Gisela amd Amber. Not sure if that was a deliberate strategy from him to play it low key but he doesn't look like a Tory leader in waiting to me... Andrea Leadsom on the other hand?

Will it have changed any votes at all? Almost certainly not...

Obi Anne likes this.
  23. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    The campaigns on both sides have been a total ****ing pantomime. Plagues of locusts and WW3 if we leave, hordes of benefit-hungry migrants and banana-straightening nazis if we stay.

I'm undecided and will probably abstain but one thing that's irritating the hell out of me is the number of people saying that we need to stay in order to have a voice in Europe. Where are these people when it comes to voting for representatives? Voter turnout was just under 36% in 2014 and a third of those voted in were UKIP. The voice we have in the European parliament is basically a bunch of UKIP trolls, a handful of clueless hippies and a few folk in it for the gravy train.

I guess we still have our place on the commission but I have no idea what Baron Hill's contribution has been and there's no way to hold him or his successors to account in any way even if we did know what they were up to behind closed doors. On the plus side, I guess there was a certain comedy value in Neil Kinnock's appointment to that role.

24. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Latest poll has exit up +10. Outlier? Inlier? Outfield? Dugout?

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The European Union is a crap institution, but the main argument for leaving seems to be just plain ol' xenophobia. *sniff* I'm so proud that our two nations still share traditions. [:D]

soitscometothis and V-2 like this.
  26. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Apparently even the Leave campaign don't believe it. So I don't know what to to think. :p

However, it's worth to mention that before the Scottish referendum the polls at one time also put Out in the lead, but the bookies' odds were in favour of In, which proved to be correct. And the bookies' odds are now firmly in favour of Remain. So that's reassuring.