main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Ultimate Editions: Discussing Changes to Possible Upcoming Releases of the Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth-Vengence, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Vengence

Darth-Vengence Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    I hope that for the AE that they tie up all the loose story ends and make it fit in with the OT, yo know?

Make the technology look the same throughout and make the story seem like one big epic saga, like LOTR will be.

Also, hope he fixes the lightsabers in TPM to look like hues of AOTC ones(also make Maul's more red and vibrant)

Make yoda digital in TPM as well.

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    " Make yoda digital in TPM as well."

Not that I'm one for more changes, but I'll agree with you on this one, DV.

TPM Yoda was butt-ugly!

Maybe Lucas just wants to try new things with each film. Perhaps the Ep.III Yoda will be claymation? ;)

3. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    I think it would be kind of difficult to make a bunch of changes like that and still keep the films that we know and love.

Though I do admit that I like the Special Editions, some things just aren't the same. For exampe, I miss the "Yub Yub Song" at the end of RotJ. The new score for the extended scene is good too, but I prefer the old one.

I heard somewhere about inserting the Imperial March into ANH to make the music more cohesive with the rest of the saga, but IMO it just wouldn't fit. The score is perfect the way it is.

EDIT: typos

4. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    The archival editions are best left in a sealed vault, where they can never, ever be seen.

5. WellKnownCharacter

WellKnownCharacter Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    I think aside from really extreme stuff (Han shot first!) I'm open to changes as long as they contribute to the whole 'six part epic' thing.
    I'm in two minds because I want a saga that fit well with all its parts but I think it could easily get out of control and end up ruining the OT.

6. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Changes/additions I want:

* Improve the visual FX in the OT, like: erase all matte lines, fix the lightsabers and the computer screens etc.
    That includes replacing the CG Jabba in ANH with one that looks more like the TPM one.

* Add music to ANH. There are sequences, like the voyage from the Death Star to Yavin, that feel empty without it.
    The Imperial March wouldn´t hurt either :)

* Replace the chimpanzee-eye Emperor in TESB with Ian McDiarmid.

* Add a sequence in ANH where Palpatine dissolves the Imperial senate, as well as a short sequence with Bail on Alderaan before the planet is destroyed.

* Add to some of the action sequences in the OT, for example the chase from the Death Star in ANH, with CG models of the ships. The Obi-Wan/Vader duel could use with some touch-up, too.

Those are the ones I feel are needed to improve the continuity of the saga.

7. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    I don't mind some changes. When the SE's came out I was simply excited that there was Star Wars footage that I had never seen. When I first saw them in the theatre I was like "Oh . . . that's new, and that's new" much to the annoyance of my girlfriend. So I wouldn't be annoyed at a few more.

I also think that it does work as a cohesive story already and changes aren't necessary. But, I wouldn't mind.

8. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    They should fix the Lightsaber FX for ANH, I have seen an amateur do it, and it actually looks great.

Other than that, the only things I really want are Ian Mcdiarmid instead of Monkey Woman Clive Reville, and a restoration of the PT (and if possible OT) lightsaber duels, or at least an option to watch them in their entirety seperate from the movies.

9. Lanky

Lanky Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    Maybe Lucas just wants to try new things with each film. Perhaps the Ep.III Yoda will be claymation?

[face_laugh]

The only things I really want:

1. Fix lightsabers in ANH
    2. Fix Jabba in ANH (if at all possible)
    3. Fix blob on Emperors head in ROTJ
    4. Fix the plexiglass reflections in the Executor and on Endor during explosions in ROTJ.

10. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "Replace the chimpanzee-eye Emperor in TESB with Ian McDiarmid."

I hope you don't mean seeing his whole face. If Lucas really wants to keep continuity, then we'll just see a hooded shroud. That is, unless the Emperor's secret identity is made clear.

11. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Don´t worry, MeBe, I would definitely want a cloaked McDiarmid-face PT style. The same goes for the senate scene in ANH.

12. Darth-Vengence

Aug 16, 2002
    I couldn't agree more. ;)

13. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I prefer they fix certain non-story parts of the movies, but if they change it, as long as I can somehow get ahold of the original original ones, I'll be happy. After all, more SW is more SW is more SW, right? ;)

Here's what I would like to see fixed:

1) Lightsaber effects standardized
    2) Footage and sound cleaned up in the OT
    3) Take out Greedo shooting first. It's not even about the characters, I hate this because Han Solo moves impossibly fast tot he side, and the edit is really noticeable. :(
    4) A few shots here and there of space battles CGed, I'm thinking mostly of ANH, where the models often seem clunkier than later in the saga.
    5) Ian McDiarmid IS Palpatine for God's sake! :p
    6)Re-edit and fix up the climax of ANH. Is there a reason why ships and angles tend to appear and disappear randomly? I mean, one minute, there's three X-Wings in the trench, with 3 TIE's behind, then one TIE behind, then three, then none, then one X-Wing, then 3, then One TIE, then no TIES and one X-Wing.

I mean, come on, it's just unsettling!

14. Tigger-Wan_Catnobi

Tigger-Wan_Catnobi Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2003
    I agree with much of what has been said here, but I also have a couple pet peaves to mention:
    Clean up the black lines and obvious actor-in-front-of movie-screen shots in the Rancor vs. Luke scene.
    Do something to improve that shot of Lando walking off toward (the painting of) the Falcon after he talks to Han in ROTJ. When the camera is zoomed in on the actors talking, it's not bad, but then Lando just suddenly turns into a silhouette as he walks away.

I know, nit-picky stuff, but ROTJ is already at the bottom of my SW viewing list (with the exception of the lightsabers at the end), and these are two of the myriad reasons.

15. Darth-Vengence

Aug 16, 2002
    Vaderbait, i agree about the Death Star attack in ANH. The ships are there, then they're gone and there's only 1, then 3, then none, then 2, and it keeps going and going and going......

But, also the ROTJ end battle shoudl be totally CGed.

16. DARTH_NAFOD

DARTH_NAFOD Jedi Master star 1

Nov 20, 2002
    I personally think that the DVD's should have the following options (if space allows it) or have a second disc.

1-Watch as "GL's Vision" version
    2-Watch as original theatical relase w/updated FX
    3-Watch as original theatrical release, without updated FX
    4-Watch as SE's (OT only)

This would be nice, but I dont know if it is possible.

17. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I highly doubt they're going to change much from the special editions for the archival editions. However, this is my personal list of what I would like to see fixed-

ESB-

-The Greedo shooting first scene. Not necessarily the idea that Greedo shoots first (I don't really care one way or the other), but the way it's done now is extremely sloppy and very offputting-It takes quite a bit before you even realize what happened.

-The lightsabers in the Vader/Kenobi duel should be touched up. It looks extremely odd compared to the other duels, especially with the lightsabers running out of batteries every so often. ;)

-Fix Jabba. The scene itself is redundant, but if it has to be there it should at least look like Jabba. TPM Jabba looks more like Jabba than ANH Jabba. :p

ESB-

-Fer Christ Sakes, fix the scream when Luke jumps down the shaft. It doesn't even sound like him. Would it really cost that much for them to have Mark Hamill in the studio for one day to record a scream?

-It would be nice for them to replace monkey eyed Palpy. I won't be disapointed if they don't bother though.

-It would also be nice for them to fix the "Prepare my Star Destroyer for my arrival" line. C'mon, JEJ is going to be doing some voice acting for Episode III anyway; surely he can take a few seconds and do a line for ESB.

ROTJ-

-I would really like to see the Rancor fixed. It looks so ...bleack.

-It would be nice if they added a quick shot of Naboo as well during the SE end credits; Because it is such a prominant planet in the prequels, it is jarring to see absolutely nothing of it in the OT. (and it would put to rest those "Naboo is (X) OT planet!" rumors.)

18. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "Would it really cost that much for them to have Mark Hamill in the studio for one day to record a scream? "

Just show him a description of his movie career after ROTJ! [face_laugh]

19. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    Just fix the anh sabers and thats all.

Axl.

20. Captain_Archer

Captain_Archer Jedi Youngling

Jan 24, 2002
    Here's what I want to see:

- TPM -
    Fix Yoda's skin color. It is WAY too green when compared to the AOTC Yoda. There is no way in the world that Yoda's skin color would fade from an almost-lime-green shade to a green/blue shade in only 10 years.

- ANH -
    Fix Jabba
    Add in some Alderaan surface scenes and a scene of Palpatine dissolving the Senate
    Fix the saber effects during the Vader/Kenobi duel

- ESB -
    Replace the 'Clive Revell Emperor' with a hologram of Ian McDiarmid

21. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    " Fix Yoda's skin color. It is WAY too green when compared to the AOTC Yoda."

Don't let the Blue Yoda society hear you say that! [face_laugh]

22. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    The only changes I would want are:

Fixing FX on ANH Lightsabers
    Put Lak Sivrak back in ANH instead of Ketwol
    Redo Emperor scene in ESB with McDiarmid
    Fix Executor Explosion
    Fix blob on Emperor's face in ROTJ

I would like to get rid of Greedo shooting first but there is no chance it happens.

23. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Don't let the Blue Yoda society hear you say that!

Too late....

:p

24. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Just show him a description of his movie career after ROTJ!

[face_laugh] Hey, the guy's probably free, and it's not like he hasn't done voice work before... :p

Seriously, I cringe at that scream 90% of the time I hear it. It's just so ...not Luke.

25. Darth-Vengence

Aug 16, 2002
    I agree. The scream and Greedo shooting first have to go. But it probably won't happen.

You know what i think? I think we should just fix the bad effects in ANH! Yeah! And ESB and ROTJ, then everything will be solved!

I can't believe how many people don't want changes made or few changes. There are many changes that are needed to make the saga one big story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.