main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Atlantic *** THE ULTIMATE HOCKEY THREAD!***

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    In all seriousness, Spanky, it's a pride thing.

2. THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA

THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2003
    well, i am able to admit that someone is as good, or even better than someone else... to me it isnt about nationality... we are all hockey players, and really, deserve the same shot if we have what it takes as the rest of the players.
    and as far as pride... i am very proud of the fact that i am good at what i do... since i started at a dinosaurs age in the game of hockey (13)... i have gotten good enough that i am talking with professional teams about playiong for them... and a university team wants me to play for them.
    also... i am very proud of canada... i really dont know why... but if i wasnt american... i would damn well be a canadian

3. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, a lot of it stems from the fact that, despite the fact that it's Canada's game, 24/30 NHL teams are American. Some of us feel that our game is being stolen from us, and teams that are based in the US are winning.

Another reason for my dislike for Detroit is a conversation I had last year with a JCer who will remain unnamed. I insisted that Canada invented hockey. He said Canada invented hockey, but Americans perfected it. He cited Detroit's cup as proof. I did some research. There were only two Americans on the whole 2001-02 Detroit team. And no, Yzerman is not one of them.

So, teams spring up in the States, they get filled with good Canadian players, and they win, because the Canadian teams can't compete as well with the dollar being what it is. That causes a lot of resentment in some people.

4. THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA

Jan 2, 2003
    yeah... and it will be a good day when the canadian dollar gets better, and teams can afford to spring up in canada... and i also agree with you that it is canadas game... i just want to get my recognition as being a good AMERICAN hockey goalie... thats all...
    as far as the american teams filling with canadians... that is also true... becaues CANADIANS PERFECTED THE GAME... not the u.s..... and definately not detroit... (and yes, i am a wings fan)... canadians did...

EDIT: dont judge a team JUST by its fans... if they are a good team, and have crappy fans, then they need better fans... i for one am one of the few non rowdy wings fans

5. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I know that you're not one of those people who throws the exploits of Canadians playing in the US in our face. I'm just saying some do.

You're a netminder, eh? That's one position I've never tried. That must really wear you down, mentally.

6. THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA

Jan 2, 2003
    nah... it doesnt... i mean, it is a good mental workout... but it doesnt wear me down... (and i know that yzerman isnt from the states.... hes a b.c.er.).

EDIT: You're a netminder, eh? That's one position I've never tried. That must really wear you down, mentally..... lol, it is a lot of fun... except when i had the 80 mph slapshot shatter my cup.... plastic splinters dont feel good going in or coming out

7. THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA

Jan 2, 2003
    lol, i find it kind of odd that (now, this is by NO MEANS AT ALL a rip on anyone...) some of the canadian players playing in the states are getting their american citizenships... where as, i will someday have a canadian citizenship

8. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    If you plan to live in a country for an extended period of time, it's always a good idea to apply for citizenship and retain dual citizenship, like me.

9. Bucket

Bucket Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2002
    The fact of the matter is, most of the best hockey players in the league come from Canada. Look at Joe Sakic, Patrick Roy, Curtis Joesph. The only other country that puts out semi-quality players like that is Russia.

10. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Roy was born in Quebec, but didn't he play for the US Olympic team? :confused:

Don't forget Steve Yzerman, Todd Bertuzzi, Brendan Morrison, Wayne Gretzky, Ed Belfour, Martin Brodeur, Ed Jovanovski, Theoren Fleury, Jarome Iginla, Eric Lindros, Brendan Shanahan, Mario Lemieux, Paul Kariya... the list goes on and on.

11. THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA

Jan 2, 2003
    ok... look.... i was never saying that america had more better players than canada... and, i also know that there arent NEARLY as many americans as canadians... that is why you can keep adding names to the players list, and i cant.... because it is canadas game... and canadians learn to (more so than americans) play at like 3 years old... its in your blood... no, roy didnt play for the u.s., all i ever wanted my point to be on this discussion was... if i am good enough to play... lemme play... even though i am american... as far as the naming of the canadian better players, like i said before, i didnt say that there were MORE better american players... i just said... why do canadians think that americans cant obtain the level of a canadian players level... if roy was american and ken wregget was canadian, would you still say that wregget was better... you couldnt, for the simple fact.... HE ISNT. thats all im saying... there are a few players out there from the states (michigan, minnesota, and mass. mind you) that just are simply better at the game than some canadians... mike modano...for instance, wether or not you like him as a player... you have to admit that he plays some good hockey... and would be better than say...ray schultz (islanders)... again... you can name GREAT CANADIAN PLAYERS ALL DAY... hell, i will join in with you... but that just simply ISNT the point

12. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I'm sorry. I wasn't aware of the fact that we were arguing. [face_plain]

I agree with you. If you're good, you should be able to play, regardless of nationality. Heck, my favourite player is Swedish!

13. THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA

Jan 2, 2003
    GREAT! that is all i wanted to hear...

14. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    *shakes head in confusion*

*picks up hockey stick*
    *swings hockey stick*

This sure ain't no softball bat

*picks up softball bat*
    *swings softball bat*

Now THIS is what I'm talkin about! My precious home run...

*takes softball bat and runs before Spanky beats her up for mentioning yet another sport in his hockey thread that's not hockey*

15. THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA

Jan 2, 2003
    COLDLY STARES AT TAMMY... your lucky i like you...
    moving on...
    it appears that my favourite player in the NHL has gone down with a sprained ankle (osgood)... lets hear about some of the injuries that us hockey players have had in our lives:
    well, for starters, i have had an 80 mph slapshot SHATTER my cup once... wend down in the splits to make the save, and the puck was tipped... right into my opened up groin... plastic splinters dont feel too good going in or coming out.

16. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Sounds painful, Spanky. In other news, my team is leading 1-0 going into the third period. Goal scored by Naslund, my favourite player. Assists go to Bertuzzi and Morrison, both players I like as well. :D

17. THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA

Jan 2, 2003
    vancouver will be a team to beat in the playoffs... especially in a few years to come... i can very easily see... vancouver, 2006 stanley cup champions

18. THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA

Jan 2, 2003
    but until then (looks at admiral_thrawn) it will be red wings in 03 baby... lol

19. THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA

Jan 2, 2003
    well, the recently passed all staR game was truly a good one for ONE guy on the east team (did anyone else from the eastern conference show up to play asside the goalies?) danny heatley for the atlanta thrashers (eastern all star team) set 2 all star records... AND HIS TEAM STILL LOST!!! he was the youngest player to get a hat trick in an all star game (beating wayne gretzky's record by 1 day)... and was the only person in nhl all star game history to score 5 goals in the a.s. game. if heatley was on the western team... the score would have been 10 - 1... with no need fer overtime... but, since heatley was the only player to show up for the eastern squad (figuratively speaking for those of you who didnt know that)... he made it a game... hats off to you danny heatley

20. THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA

Jan 2, 2003
    well, unfortunately... this past week has been one of unpleasantry reguarding myself and the zamboni... 2 accidents in 3 days... not a good track record lately... ugh.

21. THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA

Jan 2, 2003
    well... hull finally became only the 6th player ever to score 700 goals in the nhl... now the wings are going to start playing again... which they have... because they arent pre-occupied with other things...
    tuesdays game will be a good game when vancouver comes to town to play the wings... their seemingly new rivalry is going to be a good one to see

22. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I'll enjoy watching us kick your butt. :D

23. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Have you guys heard about the hockey game out here in Alberta? 80 hours straight on an outdoor rink. There is an article here. The final score was Blue 649, White 605.

24. THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA

Jan 2, 2003
    HOLY F'ING CRAP BATMAN!!!! and 80 hour game?

25. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Crazy.

I actually went to a hockey game last night. :p

I hate OPPM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.