The Ultimate Lightsaber prop.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by PixelMagic, Jun 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. PixelMagic Force Ghost

star 5
    Ok, I'm not talking about the actual hilt here, just the blade. I know a lot of you guys use wooden dowel rods. Ok, now how many times have you broken wooden dowels? Yeah, that's what I thought. Anyway, recently my fiance's dad has been teaching me some choreography (sp?) for my lightsaber battle. He is a black belt martial artist, and familiar with this sort of thing. I asked him what would make a good blade for our prop. At first I suggested using the wood from a cane, but then he suggested I use a "rattan" fighting stick. He said you could beat them over and over, and they'd never break. So, I did an internet search and found some that I will be using in my fanfilm. So, if any of you guys would be interested in using these instead of dowel rods, here you go....

Rattan Fighting Sticks
  2. Shoveler Jedi Knight

star 2
    LOL Hey Pixel sounds like you certainly sweet talked your fiance's dad. Geez imagine if he didn't like you, a black belt martial artist <cringes>

Do you have any idea where you can buy those rattans? Other than on the web?

Shoveler
  3. PixelMagic Force Ghost

star 5
    Oh yeah, I'm very good friends with my fiance's dad. He is also helping me choreograph the fist fight in my film. He is VERY good. I hope I can learn enough to make his teaching look good on screen. He's VERY fast, and I definately am glad we are only mock fighting! When we swings that lightsaber prop at me, I get scared, but so far I've been able to deflect any attack. Ha ha, just the other day, he said, "Swing at me" And I said, "Ok, where do you want me to attack, so you can block it" He just said, "Surprise me." I said, "I'm not going to hit you" He said, "Trust me, you won't" And so I swung at him. Sure enough he deflected three different attacks in about 2 seconds. Very impressive. Then he managed to hit my hand with his "blade" and I dropped my saber, and he put his "blade" at my throat and said, "Told you so" Ha ha, he's great.

Anyway, no, I don't know where to get this besides the internet. Perhaps I will look into a martial arts supply store. Call your local Kendo instructor. They should know.
  4. trixter Jedi Knight

star 2
    You can also look into some reasonably priced rattan if you happen to know anyone in the SCA
    Society for Creative Anachronisms
    they use rattan in all thier heavy weapons fighting.
    If tiy want to try online to find it here is a starting point
    www.sca.org
  5. Shoveler Jedi Knight

star 2
    LOL That's too good, he sounds like a champ! Yeah I might call a Kendo...joint, dojo whatever, see what they've got. Ah well good luck with the rest of your flick dude. :D

Shoveler
  6. Ryusui Jedi Knight

star 1
    Check around your area for military surplus or martial arts supply stores. We've actually got one here that sells items like that. Sais, alluminum and steel swords, knives, jackets, fatigues, etc. Never thought of those before - good find Pixel.
  7. John_FC Jedi Knight

star 3
    Pixel, how old are you? You're engaged?

john.
  8. Fremen Jedi Knight

star 3
  9. PixelMagic Force Ghost

star 5
    I'll be 19 July 31st. I'm getting married in March of next year. ;)
  10. Cunard Jedi Knight

star 1
    Pixel, you are from Utah right? If I remember correctly, you said something like that once. Actually, a 19 year old male getting married in Utah is pretty rare, so don't give him too much hassle :):)

p.s. if you are not from Utah, then disregard everything I have said :)

Edit: And uh, yeah, those sticks are really cool man. Just figure out how to get them to light up for your scenes.
  11. Cyberskip Jedi Knight

Yea, we used rattan for our sabers in "Hands of the Sith". They worked really well.

They also used rattan for the sabers in "Jay and Silent Bob Stike Back"
  12. PixelMagic Force Ghost

star 5
    Actually, I live in Iowa. Ha ha, just because I'm a Mormon, you assume I live in Utah. Ha ha ha ha. :p
  13. ddojo Jedi Padawan

I have a bo, u could cut it in half and use the pieces as blades on 2 diff. hilts
  14. Chevalier-mal-Fet Jedi Knight

star 2
    They also happen to use rattan for things like LARP and so forth. It IS pretty durable, and pretty dern cheap as well. Another alternative (if you're willing to spend some money) would be to buy a pair of shinai from a nice place like KendoShop (www.kendoshop.com - great service) and use those. Just use them without the handguards they provide and they work great for rotoscoping. Also, if you maintain them, they'll last for a long time. While it does hurt if you get hit with one, it really doesn't feel like more than if you got whacked by a newspaper. At least, it shouldn't. If you're hitting harder than that... ow. :p
  15. Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Isn't the whole point of using wooden dowels so they WILL break??? :)

Just in case you miss your block, ya know...

:D

Indy
  16. Animaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, these are great, but dowls are much cheaper. Besides, I like putting tape on my dowls or doing other things to them that i wouldn't want to with an expensive rattan.
  17. KillerBobBarker Jedi Knight

star 1
    Nah... I just went to a garden supply store and bought a 6' bamboo stick. They are $2 each and never break... and are as light, if not lighter, than wooden dowels.
  18. flight_wing Jedi Knight

star 1
    hahaha, ya, ill have to look into this
  19. DVDJ Jedi Padawan

woah cool.. july 31st eh?

same birthday as me!

never found someone with the same date as me cool
  20. Lord_Reign__Wub7 Jedi Padawan

have you ever been hit by one of those things though. it sucks, a foam padded dowel rod doesn't hurt as bad. i fight hard and fast so don't bother saying well you shouldn't get hit, b/c if you slip I'm hitting you!
  21. KillerBobBarker Jedi Knight

star 1
    The bamboo sticks do not hurt that bad, because they are hollow. I guess it would hurt bad if you got wacked in the head really hard... heh, what else is new?
  22. Cunard Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oh, you are mormon? I didn't know that, I just thought you were from Utah. Then disregard...disregard...
  23. PixelMagic Force Ghost

star 5
    LIAR!!!!!!!! I know you were thinking, "Ha, those silly, crazy Utah Mormons." Yeah, I know about it, bud! I know how everyone thinks. Everyone thinks that we Mormons are crazy, but I shall be an example to everyone to prove we are not. BWWWWAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!!!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!

See?
  24. webwiz03 Jedi Knight

star 1
  25. Mugwump Jedi Knight

star 2
    HAHAAHAHAHHAHAH!!! LAUGH WITH ME BROTHER MAGIC!!! HAHAAHAHAHAHAHH!!!

well, PxlM is the official crazy Iowa mormon. I AM the official, crazy, UTAH mormon!!!

MUHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHH!!!!

Ok.... (not to be intrusive) but didn't you just put in your papers a while ago?

-Mugwump
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.