main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~~ The ULTIMATE Rate Your "FAVORITE PLANET" Thread ~~~

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by JackOFett, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackOFett

JackOFett Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2003
    Well, I know I said I was going to take a break before releasing the next one of the "Rate your Favorite" series. But I managed to put this one together over the past few days an hour here and there, not to mention it has become a bit easier now that I have compiled an HTML template after creating the other two.

Enough of that though, let's get on to the Third in the Top 10 Series...

"Rate your favorite Planet"

Yes ... I know some are moons and I wrestled with the thought of adding the Deat Star I & II. But I just couldn't get the thought out of my head that it was a "space station" not a terrestrial body such as a planet.

But to make it appealing (and interesting) to everyone and avoid any controversy... Votes will be tallyed for the Death Star if one of you so wishes to rank it. But, a handicap will be placed on it's point value as compared to the "official" contenders.

So...Go ahead, rank 'em out 1-10. Was it for the 'battle" that took place there? Perhaps a scene? ... Or maybe just because it looks so damn cool? ...Pick it for whatever reason....

Bespin - EP V

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/bespin/img/eu_bg.jpg] [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/bespin/img/movie_bg.jpg]
    Secluded from Galactic turmoil by its location in a little-visited sector of space, Bespin is an astrophysical rarity. An immense gas giant surrounded by a number of moons, the planet contains a band of habitable atmosphere among its endless clouds.
    Bespin

Coruscant - EP I, II, III

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/coruscant/img/eu_bg.jpg] [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/coruscant/img/movie_bg.jpg]
    Situated in the heart of the galaxy, Coruscant was the seat of government for the Galactic Republic and the Empire that supplanted it. Over thousands of years of civilization, the planet has been entirely enveloped by cityscapes and urban sprawl. Immense skyscrapers reach high into the atmosphere, and stretch down deep into the dark shadows. Crisscrossing the skyline are streams of unending repulsorlift traffic. Even in the depths of night, Coruscant is alive with glittering lights and rivers of traffic, a bustling megalopolis that refuses to sleep.
    Coruscant

Endor - EP VI

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/endor/img/movie_bg.jpg] [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/endor/img/eu_bg.jpg]
    A distant, mist-shrouded swamp planet, Dagobah does not appear in any modern starcharts. It is a forgotten world, and it was the home of the last remaining Jedi Master and Council member from the waning days of the Republic.
    Endor

Geonosis - EP II

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/geonosisarena/img/eu_sm.jpg] [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/geonosis/img/movie_bg.jpg]
    A harsh rocky world less than a parsec away from Tatooine, Geonosis is a ringed planet beyond the borders of the Galactic Republic. Its uninviting surface is marked by mesas and buttes, and barren stretches of parched desert hardpan. The rocks and sky are tinted in red, and the creatures that evolved on Geonosis are well equipped to survive in the harsh ecology.
    Geonosis

Hoth - EP V

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/hoth/img/movie_bg.jpg] [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/hoth/img/eu_bg.jpg]
    Hoth is the sixth planet in the remote system of the same name. It is a world of snow and ice, surrounded by numerous moons. Small meteorites that have wandered away from a nearby asteroid field constantly pelt Hoth's icy surface. This icy world has developed a number of indigenous lifeforms, including the wampa ice creature, and the tauntaun. The dayti

2. YODA_SITH

YODA_SITH Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Awesome a new one. Great jackofett I might have to post mine tomarrow need some time. :p

3. Jedimancer

Jedimancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2004
    BWAHAHA! I'm the first poster(after Jacko'fett, I think). Now I'll have to actually read what the planets are and make my picks. Thanks, Jacko.

4. Jedimancer

Jun 16, 2004
    Wait! NOOOOO! Yodasith beat me. CURSES!

5. Jedimancer

Jun 16, 2004
    Ummmm, I think there's only nine planets there... Oh, well.

6. Jedimancer

Jun 16, 2004
    Oh, I figured it out! You forgot Dagobah, Jack'O. I'll just figure that into my list. You know, these are pretty tough picks, and my mind could easily change from time to time, but here goes...

10. Yavin 4(I'm sorry, we just don't really see enough of this moon to appreciate it, me thinks).
    9. Geonosis(There are plenty of cool scenes here, including the awesome starting battle of the Clone War, but it's vey similar to Tatooine so it doesn't really have as much an impact on me as other planets).
    8. Hoth(Not that Hoth's not really cool. The Battle of Hoth scene is one of the coolest parts of the OT, and Hoth's stark, bleak landscape has a strange beauty to it, but there's other ones I like more.)
    7. Endor(at first I was thinking I'd rate this higher, but somehow it ended up here. I really do love it, though. Those GIGANTIC trees are cool, and the speeder-bike sequence is great. Oh, and by the way, I LIKE THE EWOKS!)
    6. Dagobah(One big, creepy, swampy planet, and home to some of the coolest, creepiest scenes in the SW saga, and the last dwelling of the ever-beloved Yoda. "I'm not afraid." "You will be, you will...")
    5. Naboo(Probably the most beautiful planet of the whole saga. It's basically the SW version of heaven. Lush landscapes, fantastical cities(with some cool psuedo-Roman architecture), and dream-like underwater environments makes for a WHOLE LOT of eye candy).
    4. Kamino(Too bad we probably won't be seeing any more of this planet. From the first moment it's mentioned by Dex till even after Obi leaves it, chasing after Jango, it's one of the most mysterious planets of the SW saga. The stormy seas are cool and there's a pinch of "something not right here" atmosphere about the all-too clean interiors of the city, as well as its all-too calm, all-too beautiful occupants)
    3. Bespin(Even with all the new CG planets, this still remains a true beauty to behold[Cloud-city rocks!]. There's a wonderful irony that some of the darkest scenes of the saga take place in such a heavenly place, and that within Sky-City's bright, pretty interiors there's that hellish carbonite-freezing chamber. "Luke, I AM YOUR FATHER." "NOOOOOOOOOOO!"[couldn't resist])
    2. Coruscant(quite possibly the cooolest planet to pop out of the prequels. With all those cool, different buildings and flying hover-cars, there's a whole smorgashbord[however you type that word] of eye-candy, and the hover-car chase in AOTC was AWESOME. And, after-all, this IS the capital planet of the SW galaxy and home to the Jedi Temple, so it better get high up on the list.)
    1. Tatooine(yep, that's right. It may not be the prettiest[though, as with Hoth, there's a strange beauty to it's bleakness] but it's my pick for #1. Luke may think this planet is as far as it can be from the "bright center of the universe" but this planet is, in actuallity, the bright center of the SW universe. This is where the Chosen One, the Son of the Suns, as well as his even more heroic son, was raised. The heroes of the SW seem to just keep on going from one new, cool planet to another, but some how, they just keep ending up back here.)

7. Darth_Snowball

Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 21, 2004
    Dude...

Use the edit button. It is your friend.

You have to pick Hoth.

How can you beat a planet of snow? ;)

Snowball

8. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    i only really care for the OT planets.

the new ones just look to bus, and kinda fake when compared with the likes of hoth and endor.

9. Jedimancer

Jun 16, 2004
    I guess I'll just post a message to bump it up. Where are the voters!?

10. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Well here it goes.

1) Naboo: It is a very nice planet, very peacful. I also like it because it is green, blue, and yellow. It is like earth.
    2) Coruscant: There is a lot to do and see here. It is also the only city wide planet.
    3) Bespin: Hey it has Cloud City you can't go wrong there.
    4) Endor: A lot of trees and somewhat peacful.
    5) Yavin: Same here.
    6) Kamino: Well sure it rains there all the time. But at lest you can go into some place where it is not raining.
    7) Geonosis: It does not look as hot as Tatooine.
    8) Tatooine: Sure it's hot but you can go in doors to get away from that heat.
    9) Dagobah: Not much to do but it's better then being cold.
    10)Hoth: No sir I don't like it way to cold.

11. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Kamino is the coolest planet followed by Naboo.

12. MILK-HANDS

MILK-HANDS Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    10) Geonosis - An ugly world, possessing none of the beautiful character of the others. Probably the most sinister planet we've seen.

9)Yavin 4 - Nice, but a little nondescript for me

8) Naboo - A beautiful world, but a little to mid-range for me.

7) Hoth - It may be cold, but it was almost an evocation of Herbert's Dune; a planetary romance, a beautiful and harsh landscape that imbues its character like few other worlds.

6) Tatooine - I hate sand, but everyone and everything seems to make its way through this world, and I would love to be there, to go to the cantina, to Boonta Eve, and to Jabba's Palace.

5) Dagobah - not the friendliest of worlds, but a place obviously alive with the Force. For one moment, when Yoda lifted the X-Wing out of the swamp, you sensed that whatever was wrong with the outside galaxy had no place on this world, and with this Jedi Master.

4) Kamino - a world that almost lived up to Bespin and Cloud City for all its mystery, beauty, and unsurpassed depths.

3) Endor - I like the Ewoks, and I like this beautiful, wooded moon. If I retired anywhere, it would be here.

2) Coruscant - never fails to impress me with its immensity, its sheer overwhelming nature - Coruscant is pure eye candy, but its also a place of trillions upon trillions of stories...

1) Bespin - all the dazzle of Coruscant, but framed in the most beautiful of places - We all truly belong among the clouds

13. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    10. Endor
    9. Geonosis
    8. Tatooine
    7. Yavin IV
    6. Dagobah
    5. Hoth
    4. Kamino
    3. Naboo
    2. Coruscant
    1. Bespin

14. JackOFett

Sep 19, 2003
    Thanks for the bump Jedimancer haven't been around since I've posted. Looks like it helped get the votes going :)

I can't believe I forgot Dagobah ... WTH?!... No idea how that happened but here it is as a technicality.

Dagobah - EP V, VI

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/dagobah/img/movie_bg.jpg] [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/yodashut/img/movie_bg.jpg]
    Following the scourge of the Jedi by the emergent Empire, the Jedi Master Yoda fled to Dagobah and went into hiding. A world plagued with overgrown jungles, creatures, and constant rain, it was a perfect place to hide. Few would ever come to such a planet willingly.
    Dagobah

Keep the votes comming ... Going to post the thread on IGN now.

15. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    1. Hoth
    2. Coruscant
    3. Bespin
    4. Kamino
    5. Geonosis
    6. Endor
    7. Yavin 4
    8. Naboo
    9. Dagobah
    10. Tatooine

16. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    1. Coruscant---Jewel of the Core
    2. Naboo
    3. Kamino
    4. Geonosis
    5. Bespin
    6. Tatooine
    7. Yavin 4
    8. Hoth
    9. Dagobah
    10. Endor

17. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    Here's my list. (compleate with quotes!)

1.Coruscant- "The Entire planet is one big city".This planet is definatly number one.Who wouldn't love a city planet? It's got everything,the senate,the Jedi headquaters,and basicly everything else.This is ha sbeen my favorite planet ever since TPM.

2.Tatooine-"If there's a bright center to the universe,your on the planet it's farthest from".This is really the most key planet to the whole saga.Home of Anakin and Luke,it really helped set the events of the saga.Would Luke have wanted to leave home so much if he were on a more civilized planet like Coruscant? Probably not. :)

3.Naboo.-"We're a democracy,the people are desided!".This planet is also key to the saga,mostly because it's the home planet of Palpatine.It's kind of ironic actaully,because Naboo is a peaceful planet,but one of the worst dudes in the galaxy came from there.And this planet also has the best scene of the saga so far:Duel of the fates! It'll definatly come in at number 3.

4.Geonosis.-"Geonosis is less than a prasec away...I'm going to help Obi-Wan,if you're going to protect me,you'll just have to come along."This planet is just cool.It hosted the first battle of the Clone Wars,and had some of the most awesome scenes of the saga there.It's just plain cool.

5.Bespin-"I saw...A city in the clouds".This planet is also just cool.It's so futureistic to have a floating city.It also hosted one of the most meorable scenes of the Saga. (No.I am your father!).It'll come in at number 5.

6.Endor."And your friends,down there,on the santuary moon,are walking into a trap.As is your Rebel fleet!" This planet is key because it's where the Empire finally crumbled.It also has one of the best overall climax battles of the Saga,with 4 battles going on at once.It's definatly got to come in at number 6.

7.Hoth.-"There isn't enough life on this ice cube to fill a space cruiser!".This planet comes in at number 7 mostly because of the awesome battle there! And also because Luke saw the vision of Obi-Wan there,and that set the events into motion that led to him becomeing a full Jedi Knight.

8.Kamino.-"The Kamionans,they're cloners."This planet is awesome because it's the birth place of the Empire's army.It's also cool becasue we get to see another extreme enviroment planet:All rain.It'll come in at number 8.

9.Yavin 4.-"Rebel base,15 minutes and closing".This planet is the home of one of the big Rebel bases,ans also becomes Luke's Jedi acadamy in later years.It also has the awesome 1st Death Star battle over it.It'll come in at number 9.

10.-Dagobah.-"It's like something out of a dream.I don't know,maybe I'm just going crazy!".Coming in last,but not least is Dagobah.Home of Yoda,and the place where Luke got 90% of his training.It's just cool.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JackOFett:Thanks for making another awesome favorites thread! :)

18. Jedimancer

Jun 16, 2004
    This may be the most hard-to-predict poll yet. Anyways, just bumping it up again. Don't know if it'll snag any more voters, but, hey, it's worth a shot.

19. Jedi_Eric

Jedi_Eric Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2004
    I'll make a list when I have time, but for now, I can't so don't do the results until darth_nemisis posts!!!!

20. JackOFett

Sep 19, 2003
    ^^^ I created the damn thread and haven't voted until now...LOL. Sorry about the neglict with this one to all that are interested. I've been busy and couldn't spare the hour thought process in writing out my top ten :p

Got some great responses here for this one and more than expected from both sites combined. This one really picked up steam in the last few days over at IGN...I'm gonna try and start posting the results by Sunday. So nemesis get in gear and vote.

Finally here are mine...This one was a toughie at first but became painful obvious once I ranked them...If that makes any sense. LOL

1- Coruscant-I choose this Planet as #1 b/c if I had to live on one of them this would be it. Kind of like the NYC of the SW galaxy, except I don't know how well I'd navigate home with a few drinks in me from the outlander club in one of thos awesome flyings hot-rods!
    2- Tatooine-This one is second just for the simple fact that it is the most well known planet in the SW galaxy. Not too mention many of my favorite scenes occur on this otherwise barren desert planets. Oh and it has two suns!
    3- Kamino-Sorry but this planet is just awesome from an artistic standpoint. From the inhabitants and clones, to the flying whale and Obi meeting Jango in his apartment. This planet just screams a sort of surreal setting fitting for the events portrayed there!
    4- Bespin-Another somewhat surreal planet, and what a great setting for the Lukes first confrontation with his daddy. Kudos to George for really making Bespin shine with the added effects in the SE.
    5- Geonosis-Scenery wise nothing too spectacular but the inhabitants and the amount of awesome main characters & Jedi on this planet during the begining of the clone wars is great. And oh yeah, Yoda opens up a can of whoop-ass here!
    6- Naboo-Almost an alter ego of Tatooine, Naboo is another planet we get to see alot of. The dual ecosystem is particlary interesting with the Gungans and humans forced to co-exsist. Can't forget the Obi/Maul showdown either...Best fight ever!
    7- Hoth-The empire kicking butt with the AT-AT's was awesome. The scene with them comming through the haze of snow is still menacing to this day. But as far as scenery is concerned, nothing special...I could just visit Anartica...lol.
    8- Endor-Nothing to see here that you couldn't find in California as far as scenery. But it's saving grace is the huge battle that takes place and it's signifigance to the trilogy.
    9- Dagobah-Am I in the everglades? ... LOL. Just not a big swamp fan and I find the scenes there somewhat boring after seeing them a few times. (fast-forward time!)
    10-Yavin 4-I don't think I really have to go into any depth as to why I choose this one as #10...Do I?

21. SkafeeXAddict

SkafeeXAddict Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2003
    Whoa! I missed this one.

Ok, well, here I go.

1. Coruscant - Get drunk, buy a d eathstick, watch an assassination take place, hijack a speeder, then go watch important political decisions be made.

2. ine - This planet has held the greatest of heros and most evil of villians. Plus, it's where Jabba lives. You can get a tan here twice as fast! Besides sand as far as the eye can see, what is not to like about it?

3. Bespin - Majestic and a great place to take a nice relaxing visit to. As long as you can avoid getting frozen in carbonite.

4. Kamino - I like the Fetts a lot, and I like the rain. "I singing in the rain!"

5. Endor - The great turning point in the battle against the Empire for the Rebels. Besides, I'm a "woodsy" type of guy. I love roughing it in the great out doors.

6. Naboo - Padme lives here, yet, so does Jar Jar.

7. Hoth - It's like the opposite of ine, only you aren't really gaining anything. There is still nothing as far as the eye can see.

8. Geonosis - I find this place more of an eye sore than ine or Hoth. Except there hasn't been any other land battles in Star Wars to compare with the one this planet hosted. Whoo, great action.

9. Dagobah - Well, at least Yoda resided here for a while.

10. Yavin 4 - If I wasn't such a big fan of Star Wars, I probably wouldn't even have know this place existed, or at least matched it's name with the planet we see.

22. Blade_Of_Elu

Blade_Of_Elu Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2003
    You do know it talks about Dagobah under the Endor picture right? :confused:

23. JackOFett

Sep 19, 2003
    ^^^ Yeah ... I had a little mishap and forgot to even put the pics of Dagobah up originally. Screwed it up with Endor somehow and it was too late to edit.

Nice choices Skafee...Only b/c they are close to mine :p

24. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    10. Yavin. No major battles, no great scenes on the planet.
    9. Geonosis. One battle isn't enough.
    8. Kamino. A little too rainy for me.
    7. Bespin. Lando + Luke vs. Vader = :cool:
    6. Dagobah. Mmmmmm, Yoda.
    5. Naboo. A little too peaceful for an action movie, but still great.
    4. Endor. Ewoks, and big explostions.
    3. Hoth. Great battle.
    2. Tatooine. Great everything.
    1. Coruscant. Awesome city, only helped by the EU.

25. JackOFett

Sep 19, 2003
    I've started tallying the results from both sites ... and so far Yavin has gotten more points then I have expected ... Mainly from the folks over at IGN. WTF?!...LOL. Good thing for tfn b/c it has evened it out a little better.

I'll do a last call on Sun. and then I'll start posting the results. So if anybody wants to post their top ten ,times a ticking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.