main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Ultimates

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Raven, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Ultimates 2 #13 is now supposed to be out some time in May. That's good - we've been waiting for this since the Berlin Wall fell. Or something to that effect. One of the greatest comic series ever is coming to a close, and I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

On the other hand, I see that Joe Mad's art appeared in Wizard last month, showing what he's going for in Ultimates 3 (http://www.joemadfan.com/gallery/p17_sectionid/22). Honestly, I think that I'm going to be passing.

2. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I've only read Ultimates (waiting till both Ultimates 2 TPBs are out to start them), but I love what I've read so far.

Mad's art is alright, but not as good as Hitch's. I'm more concerned about Loeb writing. Only thing of his I've read is The Long Halloween, but I honestly found it to be mediocre at best (although quite of a bit of it is because I HATE Sale's art).

3. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

No one is as good as Hitch on his A-game. Well, maybe J.H. Williams III, but his art is stylized in a way that Hitch's is not. It's terrible waiting for Hitch, but knowing that no corners are being cut mean that a decade from now we'll be calling this one of the greatest comic stories ever told.

4. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    I don't have many issues with the STYLE of "Mad's" artwork, but what troubles me is he is a notoriously late artist. Combine an artist that refuses to get off his butt to work on a project he's been signed on, with a title that is an industry joke (Purely based on delays and scheduling. Although "Ultimate Hulk Vs. Wolverine" might be the champion of ridiculous wait periods.), and we may have a shot of seeing the first line of sentient robots walking the Earth, before we can walk up to our local comic shops for the first issue of "Ultimates 3".

5. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Daredevil/Bullseye: The Target

The first issue was released in 2002... still no issue #2...

We have a winner...

6. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    [face_laugh] I stand corrected. Oh, that delightful Kevin Smith...

7. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I saw him at WonderCon last year and he said that if and when he ever gets back to finishing it again they'll probably just restart the book with a new number one.

Anyway, on topic. I eagerly await the release of Ultimates 2 #13. Even with the delays Millar and Hitch have delivered one of the best comics ever IMO. My biggest grip is that the delays here have caused continuity problems in the other Ultimate books as they try to go forward without spoiling Ultimates 2.

8. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Ten, twenty, thirty years from now, they won't remember the continuity problems or delays. Thirty years from now, people will just point to The Ultimates and The Ultimates 2 as being the best superhero comics of the 2000s: some of the best art in comics history combined with fantastic writing.

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    picked up #13 recently. I liked it. Nice closure to the Ultimates 2. loved the bit with Tony Stark at the end and the blonde :p

10. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Jeph Loeb has said that Ultimates 3 will only be 5 issues long. It will start planting seeds for plots that will be built upon in Ultimate Origins and next years Ultimatum.

Also, the team lineup is changing. It looks like Wolverine, Black Panther, and Spider-Man are all joining the Ultimates. Enemies include Venom and Magneto and the Brotherhood.

[image=http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/808/808914/ultimates-20070728001353969.jpg]

11. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    There's no Hulk [face_plain]

12. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    He was found guilty for the murder of hundreds. It's doubtful that he could be a public member of the team, even after his help against Loki and company.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.