main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I didn't see one of these yet, but I have seen a lot of NFL threads...so I think this will work.

The season is in full swing....

Colts and Bears are arguably the two best teams...

What does it look like for your team?

Who is going to win this weeks games?

Who is going to make the playoffs?

What's going to happen in free agency?

Come here to discuss all this and more!

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    How much do you think Michael Vick will be fined for flipping off the sideline cameras after the game today?

Hey Vick, you want to model your sideline behavior after somebody else, model it after McNabb, not T.O!

3. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    It wasn't even Vick's fault for the loss. In fact, he was the only one that looked like he was out there to win.

4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I agree with you Obiwan about Vick. Those receivers were not even trying to catch the passes he was throwing. The fans are being unfair to him.

I would say the Cowboys and the Colts are the two best teams now. With the Pats nipping at their heels.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Agreed there. Vick had a right to be frustrated. His receivers barely outperformed me, and I was at home on my couch.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  6. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    It's painful because there was one catch where the receiver was wide open on the 10 yard line I think. It was a soft floater right in his hands. With that catch, the game would've been turned around and we might've had a different winner. It wasn't just the dropped pass, it was the fact that he dropped that pass by the endzone in a critical time when they needed to score. That was golden right there.

This isn't the first time his receivers have dropped passes either. It's happened in almost every game. Especially that #12.

7. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    My team ruined the Colt's winning streak. :)

8. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Are you guys ready to induct Romo into the Hall of Fame yet? :p

Seriously though, Romo has made me forget that T.O. is on that team too. Now that's impressive.

9. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    I just looked at the box score and if you run the ball 45 times for 281 with time of pos 34 min to 26 min you should win.

I didn't watch yesterdays game but something must be done. It could just be that their Def is terrible and puts too much pressure on the Off.
    Even against Pit and Cin, Vicks best games, they gave up 38 and 27.

Maybe they need to change their offense too. If they run a west-coast variation that is.

Vick just isn't consistent enough to run the quick pass plays, etc. PLUS his WR's can't catch.

I mean 9-24 for 84 yds is terrible and won't win many games, but 281 Rushing! Why throw the ball, ever.

Worry about throwing once teams start putting 8 in box, then run a play-action or something.

If I was the coach of Atl, I'd probably never throw on 1st or 2nd down, period. I'd use the Steelers-Big Ben method from 04 and 05.

I would also consider switching to a no-huddle at various times, to either get Vick in rhythm or force the same D to stay on the field.
    I can't imagine how tiring it would be to chase Vick on a couple of scrambles, then immediately have to line up for another play.

You could probably do this late in the first or early second qtr and really try and wear down the D, so come the second half your ground game could continue to pound them. Of course your D would have to make some stops.

10. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Is this the one where the coach ended up on his knees on the sideline? I felt sorry for him.

11. THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN

THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2006
    Im pissed off at Denver. Cutler is going to do horrible, and if he does, should they bring back Plumer?

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Vanderjagt now out in Dallas.

13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Took 'em long enough. Even though I will always love that man.

14. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Where do you think he's headed next? Maybe Kansas City?

They can't. Once they switch to Cutler, you have to stay with that decision.

Yup, that's the one. I've never seen a coach so heartbroken on the sidelines.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Nah, Tynes has been great in KC.

I posted my odds of where he will go in the YJCC, I think Atlanta (dome, replacing Morten Andersen) and Houston (terrible kicker, Kris Brown) will be the top two contenders for him.

As for Dallas' kicker next year, I would STRONGLY advise Parcells/Jones or whoever to draft Mason Crosby, the kicker out of Colorado. The kid has been widely believed to be the best kicker in college football since Nugent graduated (although he was ridiculously left off the Groza award list this year, most likely because Colorado sucks so horribly), and he nails 70+ yarders in pregame regularly. He should be about a 3rd rounder, and I think will automatically be in the top 50% of the league's kickers, honestly.

16. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I limited my search to current contenders within the playoff picture. Tynes has been great, but his field goal percentage is just 73.7. He's a young guy and Vanderjagt would add more depth and experience.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    True, but Tynes had a great game on Thanksgiving, and everything in the NFL is "What have you done for me lately?"

I still think Houston is the top contender simply because they have a bad kicker, but Atlanta really makes sense. Vanderjagt was absolutely automatic in the RCA Dome, and putting him in a dome again will definitely help, I think. Atlanta is in desperation mode as of now, and they're still playoff contenders. I wouldn't be surprised if either picked him up, but I also wasn't aware that Tynes was struggling so much before you made the point.

One "con" about going to KC is that I doubt Herm Edwards would put up with Vanderjagt, honestly. He tends to keep troublemakers out of his clubhouses, for the most part.

18. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Well Dallas is kinda like a dome. :p

Yeah, but it's also a "Who do you have lately?" league. What names do you have? What depth do you have? Are you prepared for injury and inexperience? Some people feel comfort when they acquire a big name that everyone knows. I'm not saying that's Vanderjagt - because he seems to be on a deadly slump since his missed field goal in the playoffs - but he is a name that everyone knows. Mostly infamously. But, he does stabilize a position that teeters back and forth sometimes. Even if they just use him for kickoffs, it's great to have depth now-a-days in the NFL.

Good point on Herm though. Vanderjagt might not be as convincing to him.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Just caught wind that NBC Detroit is reporting that Matt Millen has (FINALLY) been fired.

Don't have a link yet, will post if this turns out to be legit.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm confused. I'm watching a game on television. The one team is wearing brown tops and orange helmets, but they have an offense. They're moving the ball, and getting touchdowns.

It's quite confusing

jcgoble3 likes this.
  22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Good day to be a Jets fan.

23. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    You can say that again. :p

I hope Mangini and his staff are reminding the team about what their cross-town equivalents did last week and making sure they don't get complacent with a big lead.

24. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Whoo!

Error: Only 1 message post per minute is allowed.

In the Arena?

25. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I honestly think that Vince Young is going to be what everyone expected Vick to be. :)