main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    (Edit feature doesn't work on my browser)

Which also means you can look up to see if it's going to happen. The way the schedule is designed is to ensure that you play a team at least once every four years, and host them at least once every eight. Based on those odds, I would say it's not going to happen.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    JediVision Even with the chaos probabilities, that's still unfortunate.

3. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    The NFL would have no discretion over whether it's home or away. But you are right that that would have to be a unique situation in the history of the NFL...a team returning to its former home stadium as a road team? Even in cases like the Titans playing at the Texans, the team has since built a new stadium.

Here's another weird scenario I've always wondered about: the AFC and NFC championship games are always both on Sunday so that one team doesn't have an extra day of rest. But what if the Jets and Giants were both hosting their respective conference championship game? I know the Lakers and Clippers played consecutive playoff games a few years ago, but it seems like an NFL game would be a much bigger logistical challenge. My guess is they would just stagger them since they the Super Bowl bye week is permanent now. I highly doubt anyone could say there is a huge difference between 13 and 14 days of rest.

4. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Not sure what you're talking about then. Burfict clocked Brown, Pacman's flag was for bumping an official while complaining that a Steelers coach was illegally taunting them on the field (which wasn't called at the time and only fined afterward for, ya know, no apparent reason).

ma_petite likes this.
  5. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    Ahhhh my mistake. It was Burfict's hit I was talking about.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Panthers/Titans game delayed due to lightning.

So far...definitely good to have Kelvin Benjamin back; he and Cam Newton are getting their rhythm back pretty quickly. Which is good because Olsen is injured.

Stewart, Ginn and Kuechly are in their usual great form. And this will be the season when Cameron Artis-Payne really comes into his own.

That pass Anderson made into the end zone was fantastic.

7. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    how much stock do we as fans put in pre season? my thinking is the pre season is just practice but in the last two games, especially the second to last game because the starters play most of the game, the last two games you want to look good....

also who watched the second episode of the Rams Hard Knocks on HBO? It was hilarious, two of the players flipped over in a dune buggy I was laughing so hard I was rolling on the floor![face_rofl]

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's a chance to try out the new players and see who might be up-and-coming.

Leoluca Randisi and Juliet316 like this.
  9. PearsOfKrissto

PearsOfKrissto Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 21, 2015
    Im with Ani. Undrafted players and late round picks, you don't get as saturated with their tape. You hear people talk about them briefly, but it's about potential and a glimmer of useful info. Preseason gives them a chance to shine.

10. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

Its Practice!

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. PearsOfKrissto

PearsOfKrissto Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 21, 2015
    Hey, say the Jets traded Geno Smith away. Who would he go to? Why? Id kind of learn towards Arizona. Scheme fit, eh, but team, coaching staff,and Stanton/Palmer in the qb room? It's be helpful. Not that I hold hope he would be anything more than a backup, ever

12. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    James Harrison is meeting with the NFL today. He is expecting the meeting to be pretty short and to be cleared today. I would imagine other players in the Aljazeera report to follow suit.

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

Arizona has Jimmy Clausen as their #3, I believe. As for a spot for Geno, I think the best fit would be somewhere like Detroit, where he may very well get a chance if things go south early on. Without Megatron, there aren't a lot of options, and his legs would be a primary weapon in the offense.

One interesting thing to watch is Christian Ponder, who was brilliant for the Niners last week on very, very short notice. I don't know if he'll make the team, or any team, but I could see him as a good-to-great college offensive coordinator or NFL quarterbacks coach if this comeback doesn't work out. Very bright guy.

14. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016
    Does fantasy talk happen here? Or is there another thread for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The Vanguard likes this.
  16. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016
    Thnx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Pats trade Browns for Mingo... oy, Pats. Oy. Stop doing good things...

18. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
  19. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Detroit for Smith? You know Matt Stafford is pretty good. Like, 10 times the QB Smith is. If Smith couldn't beat out Fitzpatrick what makes you think he would beat out Stafford?

Also, yessssss on the Pats trade! :)

20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Why sad over trading Mingo? Has he done anything to be sad about him going? Sounds like a great trade for the Browns...and I have to wonder what the Pats think they can do with him. Something, I'm sure...but wut? Even if the Pats find something to do with him...the Browns weren't doing anything with him. There was talk of cutting him, so why not trade him for a 5th round pick?

I mean, you got a 5th round pick for a guy who wasn't even going to make the roster.

If I were the Browns, I'd be looking to trade Gordon, too, if I can get something good for him.

I'd try to make him my Herschel Walker trade. Obviously not going to get anywhere near that much, but that's the idea.

As a Lions fan...NoooOOOOOOooo.

Believe it or not, Matthew Stafford is the best quarterback we've had since I've been alive.

And there are some options. Golden Tate is actually really good...and even outplayed Megatron at times.

Ameer Abdullah was exciting last year (a breath of fresh air for an otherwise terrible running game, really), and Theo Riddick is one of the best receivers out of the backfield in the NFL.

There's Eric Ebron. Injured right now and disappointing so far...but.

I'll have to see what Marvin Jones can do.

Anquan Boldin is old AF, but hopefully can still give something.

That's not great...but it's not nothing.

21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    The only reason I named Detroit is that Stafford, while good, has not always had the complete confidence of the national media. He could be beloved in Detroit, I don't know - just has a reputation for being extraordinarily talented with a cannon of an arm, but just hasn't quite led the Lions to the promised land.

I loved watching Abdullah at Nebraska, CT - I hope he can put together a healthy season for you all. He's got enormous potential.

22. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Yup, I like Stafford. Also:
    Tate: 90 catches last year, 99 the year before. He's been a solid pickup.
    Riddick: 80 catches last year
    Ebron: Young and should get better if healthy. 47 catches last year in 14 games.
    I think these guys could exceed these numbers with increased targets with Calvin not being there.

23. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Romo made it 3 snaps into tonight's game before being injured.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Panthers are at home, Pats are visiting, hope they like 94 degree heat at 8 p.m.

Olsen is still injured but Newton and Benjamin are getting their groove back after a year.

25. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

my biggest problem is the NFL taking an Arab News Outlet seriously?:rolleyes: and that is not a racist statement I just hold Aljazeera to the lowest of the low standards kind of like FOX News...