main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I now officially dislike kaepernick for life.

Rox likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have mixed feelings; on the one hand I get tired of the hysterical "This athlete did not put his or her hand on his or her heart/stand up during the national anthem/he or she is a TERRIBLE PERSON" act in the media. On the other hand the act seems an attention-seeking move in and of itself.

On last night's game, there are a lot of upset people around here who are talking about the Panthers' disappointing performance and how much work they have to do, and they aren't wrong about that.

On the other hand I was not expecting much against the Pats, especially not with Tom Brady playing half the game.

I think the Panthers need to keep Marcus Lucas, and not just on the practice squad this time.

3. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    broken bone in Romo's back...

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Why?

anakinfansince1983

Of course it's attention-seeking. It's for a cause that needs attention. As a twitter post I saw from Jamelle Bouie observed, people were lionizing Muhammad Ali's courage in June. What about athletes who take stands now?

Athletes like Jim Brown and Ali were some of the first to take stands like this.

tom likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree with the cause he is standing for, I just hope the actual cause does not get drowned out by negative attention focused on the method.

6. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    As long as that negative attention exists, it shows the need for the act itself. When that attention ceases to exist except on the fringes, we'll know it's not really necessary anymore.

tom likes this.
  7. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Wait Kaeperpick did it on purpose? Thought his ass had just grafted to the bench after last season and he couldn't get up

8. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

That alludes to the one problem I saw with what he did-- he hasn't done well in some time now, and he's maybe not in the best position to take a stand (or a seat). That doesn't change the validity of what he did, but his doing it during the 49ers run to the Super Bowl would have been more meaningful than a preseason game, or if he was still playing at that level.

9. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    Romo has a broken vertebrae. The Cowboys aren't ruling him out for Week 1 even, but other sources are reporting it's a 6-10 week injury. Either way, I think it's pretty clear at this point the dude needs to retire.

10. JediVision

Sep 6, 2015
    (Sorry I'm always doing these quickly consecutive posts -- the edit feature doesn't work on my computer with either Chrome or Firefox)

Romo's career is interesting in that to me it seems like he's probably right in that camp with Donovan McNabb with respect to his Hall of Fame chances: If he had won one Super Bowl, he'd be a virtual lock, but without it, he's probably juuuuust a little short.

11. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    When the edit box pops up blank, click "More Options"

Juliet316 and ma_petite like this.
  12. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    his team sure hasn't had the success mcnabb's did

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  13. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

Sort of like what the Cowboys have had to do each time Romo has been injured?

LloydChristmas likes this.
  14. JediVision

Sep 6, 2015
    Free agents available for Dallas:

Charlie Whitehurst
    Tarvaris Jackson
    Jimmy Clausen
    Michael Vick
    T.J Yates
    Josh Freeman
    Matt Flynn

Pretty sorry group of guys right there. Vick and Jackson probably the best.

15. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Why? Blatant disrespect for the people who lost their lives for his freedom, and for the people who still do. Ask them what the National anthem means to them.

16. JediVision

Sep 6, 2015
    I don't have a problem with Kaepernick's putative rationale -- it's just that if he were playing his first game with a new team he had just been traded to, I highly doubt he would have done it. Smacks of cynicism to me. (Then again, maybe I'm the one being cynical)

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    about kaepernick, i definitely don't think sitting out the anthem was a self-serving move or that he did for personal attention. i know that most people think he's a d-bag because he kisses his biceps and is a bit full of himself at times, but he's never really craved or done well in the media spotlight. that's not really his thing, so i think it really was a matter of strong personal conviction. and i totally respect his choice. it's fine if you think the national anthem is about respect for fallen soldiers, that's a valid belief but it's far from an objective truth, and i think you should acknowledge that the national anthem doesn't mean that for everyone, and that for people of color their relationship with the anthem could be far more complicated, given this country's racial history.

18. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

Whose freedom are we talking about? What about the freedom of black men and women in the United States? They are still shot at, killed, jailed, and imprisoned at a rate far higher than whites in this country.

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  19. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Who kills more black women and men in this country?

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the police, the justice system, an economic reality that is stacked against them from birth...

21. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

I know what you're implying, and I'm not going to answer the question you clearly already have an answer for. However, I'm still interested in your answers for my questions.

Whose freedom are we talking about? What about the freedom of black men and women in this country?

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    On a way earlier question about switching allegiance in sports... Yeah, no. You can absolutely add a secondary team (for instance, for the four years I was dating someone from a Niners fan family, I followed all their games and rooted for them in the NFC.)

But I think the only way I could remotely consider actually stopping cheering for the Chiefs for cheering for the Rams over the Chiefs is if the Chiefs moved in a way that left really bad blood. Maybe. But I'm not even sure about that.

I've lived in CA for 11 years now, so I've been eager to have a more local secondary team. I'm glad the Rams are here. I will likely root for them against most teams if it doesn't hurt the Chiefs (with the exception maybe of the Packers, who I've always loved). It makes sense to like or root for the local team if you no longer live in your home area.

Although it's a little complicated because when they were in St. Louis, I hated the Rams. Because of a general hatred of St. Louis sports and just as a place. However, them basically giving St. Louis the finger and leaving made me happy. I don't like Jeff Fischer. But mostly it might not hurt to at least follow the Rams for a while and see if the team clicks for me.

But personally, I can't imagine ever actually fully switching allegiance. I think this is actually a general issue the Rams need to counter in LA. They basically need old Rams fans and new football fans, and so far they are doing well in the stadium but we'll see if ratings are still terrible in the regular season. Because the vast majority of NFL fans in LA are transplants from other cities with long-term loyalties.

I never thought it had anything to do with Smith. It was about losing Chase Daniel, and it's a good call. I feel way better having Foles as the backup than Murray or Bray.

Bray is a total bust. Great arm, but he's just too dumb to be a successful NFL QB. Always looks good in camp, then always makes terrible decisions in games. You can't practice your way out of just not being very smart. I honestly think he won't be in the league in three more years. There's a decent chance he'll be on the practice squad this year.

We have five QBs, and two are veterans who aren't going anywhere. Another one is a rookie draft pick, and you're obviously going to keep that guy on the team (or maybe he'll get a minor injury and magically need to go on IR for the season as Bray has in the past).

That leaves Murray in limbo. I wouldn't be shocked if he winds up as another team's backup this or next season at some point. He's been around long enough that I think it's pretty clear he's not starting material, unless he's on a team that's really hurting at QB. But yeah, I don't think we can count on him as a real prospect. Need to keep looking.

By all means, let's reward a notorious racist who embarrasses the NFL with a Super Bowl at his stadium...

Yeah I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. Not without a team name change. The NFL is cowardly about that, but they care enough about the business side that they don't want to deal with added publicity and bad press that would arise from a Super Bowl that benefits Snyder.

The naivety about the NFL schedule in this question is so adorable :p Welcome to NFL fandom, Tunes. I'm glad to have you.

The NFC West plays the AFC West in 2018. And unfortunately the Rams/Raiders game is... I was going to say in Oakland, but let's go with "away". Because for all we know, that could be in Las Vegas.

But the positive side is they play the Chiefs in LA, so I will definitely try to go to that one :D

It's practice. You can tell if something is going to be terrible or a huge problem I think (like the Bears offense... I mean, good God). But you can't necessarily know who is good or bad overall. The wins and losses only matter if you consistently got blown away, IMHO.

Erm, for one thing it was an American news outlet. For another, regardless of this individual report, on the whole Al Jazeera is a news network that tends to be more close to BBC or CNN International in quality. Certainly for middle eastern coverage. This is not anything like Fox News. That statement is frankly a sign of just not knowing much about the news landscape, to be honest.

:rolleyes:

Set aside whether this protest is effective at all (debatable). Set aside whether Kaepernick is sincere or just seeking attention (he's a douchebag, but I don't doubt this issue truly upsets him).

The main thing that makes this scenario ridiculous is jingoistic outrage. This isn't a soldier's funeral. It's not Veteran's Day. Even if it were, there are plenty of good reasons not to participate in the worship of the US flag. Plenty.

But it's much more ridiculous when people get angry over the anthem at a football game of all things. It's just a game, just a song, and just a piece of cloth. I really don't get why anyone cares about this. It's so manifestly unrelated to the actual military.

I don't get it. Who cares. Can someone explain why this is supposed to matter?

tom, CT-867-5309 and DarthTunick like this.
  23. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    It is a symbol. As a symbol it can represent any number of things. If you disrespect the symbol, you are directly or indirectly disrespecting what it symbolizes.

Military personnel (and their supporters) have come to associate it with their fallen comrades as well as just representing themselves. Basically they've all got Stockholm Syndrome.

24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    solojones It's going to take me this season, and perhaps parts of 2017 to fully get used to it all. Crazy that it's finally happened, crazier that it would be the Rams to boot (even if they weren't my 1st choice for many years, once I began to follow the Bring Back The L.A. Rams -now called Fearsome Football- on Facebook, that began to change).

25. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

Everybody expresses there patriotism in there own way/differently I see nothing wrong if someone doesn't want to put there hand on there heart or take off there hat, in this PC world why does a Woman not have to take off there hat during the National Anthem as well?

Romo's career is Over, If I was the Cowboys I would cut Romo. This now should make my team and the Skins favorites to win the division because it is highly unlikely the Eagles win the division with a Rookie QB there will probably be a learning curve and doesn't the Eagles QB have a hair line fracture in his ribs?