main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    He has zero hope of success. Marijuana might be legal in his residence or playing base but it's not a federally-recognised and approved drug (so it can't actually be 'prescribed') and is banned by the league.

Chromide likes this.
  2. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Is Dallas for real. Can Detroit win the division? Are the Giants just lucky?

You all know what the true big question is. ...........

Can Cleveland state perfect?![face_dancing]

3. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  4. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    vin likes this.
  5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Dallas is very much for real, at least until the playoffs.

6. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    "You are what your record says you are."
    -Bill Parcells, Hall of Fame football coach.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Darth Basin likes this.
  7. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Unless you're the 18-0 Patriots?

Juliet316 and Darth Basin like this.
  8. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Good enough to win a SB.

9. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Corection. ....... 18-1!

jcgoble3 likes this.
  10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

That….that doesn't count.

11. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
  12. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    That was the joke.

Their record said they were unbeatable. They were not.

13. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    Which means only one thing...

The 72 Dolphins are the greatest team of all time.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    72-73 Dolphins and 2003-2004 Pats in the argument for best team; also 85 Bears for best season.

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the homer in me can't not mention the 84 niners whenever this comes up.

vin and solojones like this.
  16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    85 Bears absolutely dominated unlike any team before or since. Absolutely crushed it except for one Monday Night Football game in……..you guessed it.

17. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    But 17-0 is mathematically better record than 18-1

18. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    It wasn't just winning but how the Bears won in '85. They didn't just win but crushed opponents. Miami did not.

edit: Witnessing 85 Bears and not '72 Dolphins makes me bias though. Didn't see any 72 Miami 'cept for highlights. Plus I am a Bears fan and have never been a Miami one so that helps too.

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Couple things: Tom Brady not only tied Manning with 200 wins, but did so in something like 30 fewer games. There is absolutely no competition as to who is the GOAT. Montana is the only one who comes close to Brady. I'm looking forward to seeing that record get fully broken in a week or two.

Secondly... Yeah, I was flying back to CA from KC during the Sunday night game. Because originally it wasn't a night game, so I'd scheduled to fly out after it was over... [face_plain].

Luckily, I was on Southwest, which might be the only US airline with free live TV. So I did watch the game, although it was stormy and this was literally the only SW flight I've had where the satellite TV kept going out. *Sigh* So I kept getting disconnected and then my flight was late so I had to run to my next gate, and then looked at my phone thinking, "how the hell did we tie it to get into overtime?!"

My second flight was better and I got to watch all of OT. But I'm so sorry you all had to be deprived of my many (quiet) near heart attacks

You could probably tell in the first 50 minutes of the game why I get so frustrated with our offense. On the bright side, Houston (who looked really rusty and was a total non-factor last week) looked awesome and himself. If Dee Ford can keep up actually playing well finally and get healthy, that could be very good for us. The D definitely came to play for a full five quarters, even though they bent they didn't break when it mattered. That's their style for sure.

So yeah, even though this team is still severely flawed, with an offense that can hardly ever convert third and short, they played up to the level of competition. There is nothing sweeter than beating the Broncos, especially if this loss winds up keeping them out of the playoffs. I will be at the Christmas night game and am certainly worried about payback... however, even so, now the best Denver can do is split with us head to head and tie us for our number of division wins. So our fate is entirely in our own hands at least.

Oh but btw, I don't blame Kubiak for trying the 62yard fg for the win. I would have gone for it too. Every kick gets an extra 5 yards in Denver anyway. I don't blame a coach for not wanting to just concede the tie. Especially in our division, where it's going to be so close come playoff time.

Wouldn't have been such an issue if their receiver (forget who it was) had just gone down on the one yard line at the end of the fourth quarter instead of scoring. The Broncos could have run out the clock and made a chip shot fg at worst. We had no time outs. Teams practice this, but in live games the players always seem to get selfish or dumb and want the TD instead.

That last kick of ours, man... We never ever get lucky like that. That was a Denver level of lucky thing there. For once.

Chromide and CT-867-5309 like this.
  20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Well QBs today play more games and also have the added benefit of getting extra passing chances due to PI, which didn't exist in nearly the same way in the 70s and even early 80s.

I'm not interested in GOAT arguments. GOAE(Greatest of an Era) is valid. By that criteria, Brady is better than Manning.

21. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Not smart players.

Juliet316 and LloydChristmas like this.
  22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I like the Pats. They're just so well run.

23. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Also - not that I agree, but the argument for Manning would be that he won conference championships with 4 different coaches and 2 different teams, and Super Bowls with 2 teams and 2 head coaches. Brady has the GOAT coach for his entire career and incredible organisational stability, and has been completely injury free other than one unlucky hit.

Edit: Like ShaneP said.

24. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah it is arguable who is the best of his time, Brady or Manning. I can appreciate both Manning and Brady arguments. The Pats are a well oiled machine that Brady can just plug into. Manning has had to go from the Colts to a whole other team winning a second SB running a different style of offense in his final year. That is a pretty persuasive argument.

edit:

Speaking of the Dolphins:

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/11/2...ed-fans-fighting-at-dolphins-game-speaks-out/

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't think the teams or the coaches have much sway in this argument, and injuries certainly don't at all. Staying healthy is requisite. Besides, Manning only missed one season himself, basically the same as Brady. They're even there.

Manning had a well deserved reputation as a choke artist for quite some time. Even his first SB win was only because the defense bailed out his terrible play against the Chiefs (it's like he thought Ty Law was on his team) and the Ravens, and the defense was not supposed to be the strength of that team.

Manning was one of the worst quarterbacks in the league last year, and the Broncos defense gave him a Super Bowl ring as a retirement gift.

Manning has the stats, but Brady isn't far behind him there, and will retire pretty close in numbers, while having at least twice as many rings.

solojones and Chromide like this.