main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Cam broke a team rule and that's why he was sidelined for opening drive.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Does anyone know what team rule?

3. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Reading that, it's 'total bunk' based on the rating of a cheat. Not by the legitimacy of these things happening.....

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  5. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

They said it was a minor team rule. If it was minor would they sit him on an opening drive?

6. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Don't be a vinegar fresh session rule.

7. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Lots of crap football going on in this game.

8. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Come on. Stop Thomas Rawls please.

9. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    I'm not satisfied yet. A win over NYG clinches the division, and if I'm not mistaken, the magic number to clinch a First Round Bye is 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Can they jam more ads into these games?

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Come on, this is intellectually lazy at best. As Chromide pointed out, this article itself is a criticism of the points system used by this site. While I completely agree the specific points system they use is transparently designed as an exercise in apologetics for the Patriots, that does not in any way negate the truth of the incidents posted there about the Broncos.

Hell, I've linked to independent articles and news stories about the Broncos incidents of cheating, and you still haven't ever offered any kind of response. I get it, because it really isn't possible to make an argument that the Broncos aren't terrible cheaters. There are too many verified incidents, ones they even admitted to and were punished for. But not until they used them to win playoff games and, worst of all, their two Elway Super Bowls.

You don't need that site to show that the Broncos are some of the worst cheats in the league. You literally just need to Google Broncos plus any of the following terms:

Vaseline jerseys
    Salary cap cheats Super Bowl
    Spygate

It doesn't really matter whether the Broncos are or aren't bigger cheaters than the Patriots. It doesn't matter what the points on that site say. The fact is that they are massive cheats in their own right. If their transgressions were ever talked about or given half the coverage the Patriots' transgressions have been given, we'd all know the Broncos as the biggest chests of the modern era. They are just lucky to be a media darling and that their admitted cheating happened largely before Twitter.

But their current owner Elway was a huge part of this cheating in the past, and that's reason enough to continue to resent the Broncos for being cheats who get away with it, and who actually get praised for things they should be criticized for.

I've posted about these facts many times. You have never given any response to any of it. And I get it: there is absolutely no way to excuse or repudiate their incidents of cheating, especially while also coming down hard all the time on the Patriots for arguably much less serious offenses. And this Pats team also won Super Bowls in years with no controversies, whereas Elway's Broncos won exactly zero.

12. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    At least the Raiders outright tell you they cheat.

13. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    All teams at some level push up against the rules as much as they can without falling over the line and sometimes they don't succeed.

Moar ads! Have to makes lotsa money! Need mor ads!

Juliet316 and Chromide like this.
  14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    That's just the point, though: the Broncos of Elway and Shanahan didn't stop just short of the line. They outright broke the rules in egregious ways, won two Super Bowls, and were later punished with fines and lost draft picks. At that stage it didn't matter because they knew the NFL wasn't going to strip them of their championships.

That absolutely is not the same thing as "walking right up to the line."

This isn't a complex thing to get. I am continually baffled as to how so many people here don't get this. Have you just never actually read any of the links I've posted to actual news stories about actual incidents of cheating that the Broncos admitted to and were punished for by the NFL after the fact?

It's baffling to me that the Raiders are somehow the team with the bigger reputation as cheaters, while the Broncos are this media darling team presented as just good hard football players.

Yes, the Raiders cheated like crazy under Madden and Davis. All through the 70s and 80s. That was an era with a lot of cheating all around, though. But in the modern era, the Broncos became easily the bigger cheaters.

Part of that's down to a misunderstanding between being dirty and outright cheating at the administrative and whole team level. The Raiders routinely commit the most penalities, but some of those are just self-destructive and a lack of discipline, not being dirty per se. They can be dirty, yes. But I bet if you really broke it down, you'd see that currently the Broncos make more dirty hits, they just don't get called for it. And the Broncos certainly have committed more serious acts of cheating, coming from the top down, than the Raiders in modern times.

I mean, just look at that Carolina game and the fact that Cam got hit helmet to helmet, what, five times? That's not an accident. That's getting away with it, then intentionally deciding to keep doing it, knowing that it's very dangerous to health both in the short and long term. That's dirty play at the team level (and yes, different than cheating. But they get away with being dirty too because we have collective amnesia about the Broncos fairly recent serious cheating... heavily involving their current owner.)

The Raiders are more dumb than dirty these days with their penalties. And are stuck with the reputation as cheaters from the 70s, in spite of none of the same people being in charge of the team now. Meanwhile the Broncos had severe incidents of cheating accounting for 2 of their 3 Super Bowl wins in the last 20 years. But do not get the same vigilant enforcement from the refs that the Raiders do.

15. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Cam broke dress code violation.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    They made him sit out the opening drive (resulting in an INT) because of a dress code violation?

I'm sorry, is this a high school football team?

I can think of some good reasons to punish a cocky star QB to make him realize he's not above certain types of rules. But a dress code violation?

Yikes.

17. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, to be fair it wouldn't have been so bad had Rivera not added making his second stringer come out passing. That is yikes-ville.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Earl Thomas broken leg, tweets he is thinking about retirement. Cue meltdown lol.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It's still an inexcusable coaching decision. I get that you want to make it clear to the team that the rules apply to everyone... But IMHO, none of the players on the team should be benched for a freaking dress code violation. You're focusing on the wrong things, Rivera.

This reminds me of when Scott Pioli was our GM, and it came out that in interviews and meetings with coaches and players, he would sometimes drop a candy wrapper on the ground to see which guys would pick it up. Because he thought this is how you could tell who was good at their job and would pay attention to the small things... Which might apply if you were interviewing janitors, but has **** all to do with football.

That guy was a nutcase. So pissed he ran Todd Hailey out of town. I always liked Hailey and knew Pioli was the issue. Their relative performances since then have made that clear.

At least with Hailey we wouldn't be stuck with the most conservative, frustrating play calling ever... Though in fairness to Reid, he must have eaten his Wheaties this morning to go for a TD on fourth and goal (and get it) and to fake a punt on 4th down from our own 45 (and get a TD out of it).

... Except with him, that literally might be all his chutzpah for the season. Watch him go back to crazy conservative and nonsensical pases behind the line of scrimmage against the Raiders Thursday, when it really matters.

Rew and Chromide like this.
  20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Did I say I hate athletes tweeting? Actually I just hate twitter period.

About Thomas though, that is really tough for the Seahwaks D going forward. He gives them so much coverage. I hope he does come back but this certainly hurts the team going forward. Already going to be a steep climb in the post and this will make it even harder.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well they won't have to worry about it until the point where they wind up playing the Cowboys in the playoffs. With the Panthers and Cardinals both having monumental and frankly shocking regressions this year, the NFC has very little competition.

ShaneP likes this.
  22. Nanaki

Sep 5, 2016
    January 22nd, 2017, at Jerry World.

23. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    solojones literally wtf I almost spit out my guava lemonade

First it's not just a criticism of the points system. You and Chromide are objectively wrong. Hell it's only, like, part of the top comment. One dude points out how "Towelgate" is listed even though it was appealed and they won the appeal.

Not that any of that matters because second--- it's not even an article, it's just a Reddit thread where Pats fans (among others) are straight mocking the "Your Team Cheats" site thing. Because it's trash. You don't even need the Reddit thing to know it's trash, just a cursory look shows it's got more bologna than an Oscar Meyer warehouse. They charge the Bengals with "Headsetgate" even though I'm like 90% sure Mike Brown made them use paper cups and string until Marvin got hired.

But third, and here's the kicker, I literally end my post saying you can still rip on the Broncos! I even call them the EYE-POKIN' BRONCOS! From that time they poked a dude in the eye! Because my point was that while that site is a turd, you can still call Broncos dirty! In fact I even encourage it! **** the Broncos!

So you decide to jump in with an Aeneid-sized senior thesis about how Lloyd doesn't understand that...the Broncos...are...dirty?

And I'm the one who is intellectually lazy and doesn't read, okay.

[​IMG]

Anyway re: tonight, I'm more concerned about where Cam Newton has been all year even when he's in the game... :(

ma_petite likes this.
  24. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Elway owns the Broncos?

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The last time the Panthers were losing this spectacularly, Rivera's job was on the line. I wonder if he is getting desperate, got some feedback about Newton, got in an argument with Newton, etc.

Rew likes this.