main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    That would be awesome if we got Dez Bryant to replace Cooks.....

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    ^ The Bears will actually be better for at least four games now. :p

Chromide likes this.
  4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Isn't Sanchez a free agent?

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    James Harrison is retiring. Again.

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Since the NFL blacklisted Kaepernick, I think he should play in the CFL for a bit to stay sharp and in shape. I don't think the CFL plays the American National Anthem before their games, so Kap won't half to kneel.

Chromide, PCCViking and Juliet316 like this.
  8. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Or he could just like, not suck at football and he'd probably be on an NFL roster.

Luke02 likes this.
  9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Come on. There are plenty of worse quarterbacks who are on rosters. Kaep should at least be a backup, and there are a few teams he could probably start for.

10. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Part of the problem was he played like a backup but wanted to get paid like a starter.

Luke02 and Chromide like this.
  11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It is true that he turned down 14 million a year. That part was pretty arrogant when he'd only started a handful of games that season. It doesn't help.

Luke02 likes this.
  12. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Oh yeah? Who's he starting for? The Browns? He's really not any better than Tyrod Taylor at this point. I guess maybe the Jets. It would be a Jet move for sure.
    If we were talking about Harbaugh era Kaep than yeah, he'd be a sought after guy. That regime change was bad for him because prior to that he was a beast.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    he started the 49ers last 11 games, and while their record was terrible in those games, that had very little to do with kaepernick who actually played pretty good. he wasn't tom brady or anything, but he threw 16 td's against only 4 interceptions and was mostly just let down by a horrible defense that year. even if the tyrod taylor comparison is fair, the fact remains that he would be on a roster if teams didn't view him as a distraction or potentially detrimental to their bottom line.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah he probably would be on a roster, but it might be as a backup, and it's unclear to me if he's willing to accept that.

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    he had a workout scheduled with the seahawks so i think he pretty clearly is.

16. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I mean it's likely a combination of the protest/sucking, like if Aaron Rodgers or Carson Wentz started kneeling I doubt a team would be like "nah not interested"

Of course kneeling is prob hard for Wentz right now if he got a patellar graft b/c KNEELING HURTS LIKE A ***** I'm gonna go cry now bye

Chromide, tom and Luke02 like this.
  17. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    The problem with Kapernick as a backup is that what he does best (RPO out of the pistol) is really not a true NFL offense. It might be in their playbook but it isn't the "system" they are running therefore what team is willing to redesign their entire playbook for a backup QB? And obviously Colin does not run the same like he did 5 years ago and the times I seen him throw the football over the past few years he was playing, Colin was still hopping in his 55 foot curveballs like he was still pitching. Colin was never the most accurate passer in the pocket and that is what teams are looking for. That said? Still pretty redonkicilous that Kapernick is not a backup/third string type QB somewhere IF he was willing to take that position. He be a great guy to have as your third string to play in good line situations to give the other team a different look and not get your starter killed. But teams just do not want the distraction and I do in a way understand where they are coming from. It is like Tim Tebow. There is really no reason that Tim isn't a third string QB somewhere as he be the perfect guy for the job since he can come in and run goal line for you and not just be a third stringer that wears a baseball cap every game. But again who wants to deal with that headache?

@LloydChristmas

If Kapernick or Tebow who I mention had that type of talent, there be 32 teams knocking down the door to get them. Just both are to me gimmick QB's (Tebow more then Kapernick though) that could really help a team as being the backup/third string guy but again teams must feel like the headache is not worth the reward. I remember Ozzie Newsome saying in that A Football Life about the 95' Browns that is hard enough to win in the NFL when there are zero distractions going on off the field but when things off the field start becoming a distraction, it's nearly impossible. Both Kapernick and Tebow bring a circus with them if they ever go to an NFL Camp which ironically, IMHO neither one is really to blame for that. I really did not find Tim Tebow's "antics" to be a big deal just like I did not find Colin Kapernick's "anthem protest" to be a big deal either. Other people's sensibilities might be different but I really did not find a couple dudes using their first amendment rights in a quiet/respectful matter to be a big deal even if they were shoulder pads.

18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    right, it's definitely a combination. i guess my point is that it's more the protesting than the sucking though, as evidenced by tyrod taylor having a job and pro bowl safety eric reid not having one.

19. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Someone should make a stat that's like WAR, but instead of "Wins Above Replacement" it's "Wins Above Controversy" aka how qualitatively good you have to be to still be on a roster despite perceived protest drama/arrests/etc.

Also it'd be pronounced "wack" which is what a lot of those scenarios are

xblackout and tom like this.
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I'd definitely say it's a combo. But then Tebow was every conservative's favorite QB and he couldn't stay in the NFL either, with a very similar playstyle to Kaep. Although since Kaep has changed his mind and is willing to be a backup, I'd take him. He obviously wasn't going to get hired to back up Alex Smith again, but he'd make a lot more sense behind Pat Mahomes.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yes, Kaep has the talent and abilities to be a backup, but his protest during the National Anthem got him black listed. Recently, the Seahawks scheduled a workout with Kaep, but upon learning he still may kneel in protest during the National Anthem, the Seahawks [cancelled] the workout. Kaep can't even get a workout with teams.

Well, the 49ers just hired new management and they were going to clear salary cap space, clean house and get their own guys, so Kaep wasn't going to get that money anyways.

The 49ers would've cut Colin Kaepernick if he hadn't opted out of his contract

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    What does this sketch look like?

[​IMG]

solojones and Guidman like this.
  24. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Height doesn't fit though lol.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I just like imagining that Stormy Daniels has no idea who Tom Brady is.