main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
  2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Rew

That exactly what they do. Meanwhile this won’t change the “boycott” of Trump supporters since this forcing players to stand. Of course DJT is going to have the Eagles at the WH next month (at least the ones who bother to show up) so it’s not like he is boycotting the NFL.

3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I feel Peaceful Protesting should be allowed this is America after All didn't Olympians used to do that, A sign of solidarity

the guy that told Kaepernick to kneel said it was a sign of solidarity in the military there even able to kneel in the military. the guy that suggested to him to kneel was a US Marine and said Kneeling was more respectful then putting one fist in the air like the Olympians. I am going to play it by ear and see how the Giants Ownership Handles this which I think will be in a respectful way because they are moderate republicans and decent good owners but I might have to give up Football until either Trump Is kicked out of office or a Democrat Is voted in. Again I am playing this by ear seeing how the Giants Ownership handles this.

4. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    So staying in the locker room and avoiding the flag/anthem all together is less "disrespectful" than taking a knee......okay, sure.

5. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    not saying that I am saying telling people they cant peacefully protest on the sidelines during the anthem kind of reminds me of this,

The Nazis made all stand and Salute the Nazi Flag as well sounds to me like a Totalitarianism Dictator Society. ;) When the Time Is right my Family Is getting out of dodge before they put us in camps We are thinking Mexico maybe Zihuatanejo Mexico,
    [​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Pretty sure it's a lot different than that, but I think this is dumb, to be honest, anyway.

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Roger "The White Moderate" Goodell

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    [​IMG]

Personally, kneeling or sitting (in the case of Marshawn Lynch) during the national anthem doesn't bother me, especially in today's social climate and an American President making a Federal issue about it.

But, on the other hand, I grew up in school systems where we started the school day reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and removing your during the national anthem, so I understand showing respect and pride towards the symbol of our nation.

I'm sure the majority of the owners signed off on having everyone stand for the national anthem. This might be the best compromise. But, I suppose they could have just have all the players in the locker room during the national anthem and prohibit any cameras from being in the locker room that time.

9. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Its no different how do you think Hitler started out, A lot like Trump. And The NFL and all these Republican Congressman and Senators are terrified to stand up to him. You don't Worship the Flag or the President Hero Worship is for Dictators Your loyalty and commitment and love of Government and Country comes way before the President. The President Is not above the law.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  10. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    They should have just gone back to the pre-9/11 stylings of having teams remain in the lockerroom during the national anthem.

11. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    Again If Its Peaceful It Is unconstitutional not to let them protest any way they would like. What If as a fan in the Stands I decided to kneel? I was actually thinking of Kneeling during the anthem when I see the Yankees in Tampa In June or just sitting during the Anthem. My dad went to a Rock Concert where they did a rousing rendition of Jimi Hendriks Star Spangled Banner and While most in the crowd stood and saluted my dad sat in solidarity so did my mom. Are we going to kick fans out who kneel as well. The problem with NFL fans that can actually afford to go to games there all White Republicans.

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    They should have done nothing and told everyone complaining about it to eat a ****.

13. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    by the way no one in my family can even afford to go to an NFL game The Rich Alt Right have priced middle class folk like my family from going to see football games. So This really doesn't surprise me but it angers me greatly.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Let's keep in mind that the NFL is a private business, with the exception Green Bay, and therefore can institute and enforce a business code of ethics. Thus, any player in uniform or out of uniform and specifically at the place of business during work hours must comply with the codes of conduct, which is part of every players contract. Of course, there are non-work hours code of conduct as well.

No one has the right to work in the NFL. It's a privilege.

15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I bet dollar to donuts that is were the end game will be. There is an out clause that stays any player/personnel member who does not wish to stand for the national anthem can stay in the locker room. Teams do not want to have a divided locker room so they will just stay in the locker room together like it's always been until they started using taxpayer dollars to help sponsor the anthem as a marketing tool for the US military.

@Sith_Sensei__Prime

One of my colleagues works at a local sports facility during the summer for extra $$$ (and she puts it kill off boredom). She says it's in their employee handbook that you MUST stand for the national anthem since you are in uniform and on company time. It's not uncommon place for companies to institute rules like this. It just so pathetic that the Trump bedwetters made such a big stink over it. Ironically enough I think it is going to make things worse, not better. Players who weren't kneeling before might want to kneel just to stick it to Trump and the weak owners. Again I think they will just quietly go to the locker room were they always should been.

16. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    its a right we have as Americans to protest peacefully if the NFL wants to they can fire all the African Americans who salute have an all white league. how many people in America would support an all white league? ;)

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    That's going way off the far end and would never happen.

However, (just to entertain the thought) if it were to ever happen, it certainly would be the death of NFL and some other professional football league would take its place, and most likely with minority owners.

Juliet316 and Leoluca Randisi like this.
  18. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I was watching MSNBC they had this really good writer from the Washington Post on he thinks our country is at a critical time where if something isn't done Trump is going to seize the Government and become a dictator. our worst fears are coming true.
    The writer was Eugene Robinson He Is a good guy I trust him.
    [​IMG]

19. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Unfortunately it's not way off the far end Sith, it wasn't THAT long ago that private businesses could dictate different standards for or refuse service to people of a different color. That was a literal thing that people who are alive today had to deal with.

It took a lot of work to establish civil rights legislation to combat that type of discrimination...and a lot of it was, ironically enough, through peaceful protesting.

So I'd 100% say peaceful protesting of the national anthem is hand in hand with civil rights in this country, and while the NFL (and the NBA!) may not be technically breaking any laws, it's not a great message. I'm not saying we'll immediately fly back to Jim Crow or Nazi Germany, but it's an important thing. It's part of what we should learn from those terrible parts of our collective history.

And at least the NBA encourages its players to make their voices heard in other ways-- I'd hope, but won't hold my breath, that the NFL will too.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    It does however, increase the likelihood of a Lockout during when the CBA comes up again.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    This new NFL policy is still not creating constitutional law nor violating it. No one will be arrested if players come onto the field and kneels during the national anthem. However, even though is not unlawful, there are professional consequences such as monetary fines and potential suspensions.

Again, I really hate it that this is such a big deal because Trump has made it a Federal issue.

And by today's standards, it's very far fetch, at least for me, to think the NFL would create an "All White" league.

NFL, like any other business, is brand conscious.

22. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I wasn't replying to you Leoluca I was just commenting on how dumb this decision is.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  23. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I understand sorry for insinuating my bad.

cubman987 likes this.
  24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    It should be noted, that the team will be fined and not the player under this new NFL policy regarding the national anthem.

25. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Watching NFL players jumpship to a new league comprised of wealthy minority owners would be a hysterical way for the NFL to die. Sweet Justice.