main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Um the head coach is in charge of all the other coaches. And this is his star QB. He doesn't have to wait until halftime to do anything. He's talking to this QB and his OC constantly. He's presumably watching the same game we all are. And it's his call to change the game plan or pull someone. The OC doesn't just do that on his own. There is no presumption about this whatsoever. It's literally just his job description.

Edit: And if he is leaving it up to the OC and not saying anything, that's still him making the decision to let it happen. I have no love for Kyle really. It was dumb of him to call those runs. And I do hate Mike. But this has nothing to do with that. Your star QB is playing hurt, that is your call as HC. I would say the same thing about any HC who did this. It's ridiculous to pretend like the HC just didn't have any way to stop that happening.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  3. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    who's aaron rogers? isn't he that guy from the state farm commercials?

4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I would pass off the flu normally but the guy is older and the flu strains this year are particularly strong. Hope he turns out ok.

Terrible that Clemon's is out. But they do have some depth on defense.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, I was kind of eye rolling myself at the Agent blaming the field.

7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Dang, I edited that part out for some reason!

Yeah, they complain when astroturf was so hard causing injuries. Then they complain natural when it's torn up.

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    To be fair there was some documented evidence that Astroturf was causing more injuries than natural field turf was.

9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh I'm sure there was. I swear my childhood football hero Earl Campbell wouldve played another half decade had he played his home games in Houston on natural instead of the astro. My point though is that we changed it back from astro towards natural again. Fields have never been safer. But football is still a sport of big huge guys moving at swift velocities and you move someone that big that fast, occasionally something is going to give on someone. So the agent of course was being responsible to his client but that field(and Heinz field also get complaints) are all better than they used to be.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, and the agent doesn't quite take into account that the guys are bigger than they used to be as well.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Astroturf and Field Turf are indeed both worse for injuries. However I have to say, from the start of that game I was shocked at how bad that field looked. Did the team just not care about getting the field in shape for the playoffs? We have grass at Arrowhead and every playoff game I've gone to there, they had the field looking new (and may in fact have had new turf). Definitely seemed to contribute to a couple injuries last night (especially the Seattle kicker).

That being said, I think it made RG3's problems worse but the main issue was him running around at all. They're saying now it looks like it might be an ACL and a PCL (on the back of the knee). Man, if I were a Redskins fan, I would be so furious at Shanahan. God.

12. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I can recall some bad grass fields at a number of locations over the years. Hard to keep good grass in January in these cold cities. Kudos to KC for being able to have nice grass. I'll have to take note next time they have a home playoff game. So I'll get back to you in say...2035?

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey, I went to one in 2010! :p

But yeah we have a good grounds crew and the field is almost always in good shape. I would have thought that for a home playoff game, a team would care about that a bit more. It's about performance more than appearance.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  15. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Yeah they are saying partial tears for RGIII.

For the record, I am rooting for a KC return to greatness. The team and city deserve a return to the big game. It would be nice for the bastardized versions of the browns to return as well. :p

DarthTunick likes this.
  16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I feel like it would be a good thing for the whole NFL to have a Chiefs team that's good and competitive. Because it's a hugely passionate fanbase, a classic team, and it just adds a lot of excitement to games when they can be played at a place like Arrowhead in full swing.

Yeah, rain on the day doesn't tear a field up like that. That was clearly a whole season's worth of wear and tear.

17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The NFL's been doing pretty well since Trent Green got traded :p

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    And KC (the town, not the team) has been doing well since Trent Green retired and moved back to KC because he loved it :D

19. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Trent Green got SL a Superbowl win.

20. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    That's a bit harsh.

Also I'd prefer every team in the NFL to be decent and competitive. Surely there are 32 good quarterbacks in the entire United States. But yes, the Browns and Chiefs are probably those I'd most like to see actually be good.

Edit: And the Bills. Just so the Patriots would get out and their fans could remember they were rubbish for 30 years. :p

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Fixed that for you.

22. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm pretty he's referring to the fact that Green's injury brought Warner in as the starter, so Green is indirectly responsible. It didn't need fixing.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah it's not like Green was awful anyway, but obviously Warner getting the shot made that one happen. Sometimes it's just like that. Again, once Green was healthy and playing for us, he was one of the best in the league and would have taken us to a Super Bowl if we hadn't had the #31 defense.

24. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    The year that Warner and Green doubled up (2000) they had over 5000 yards passing, the most by any team in a season.

25. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Correct. I got that reference too.