1. The Jedi Council Forum Rules have been revised.

View the revisions here, and see the Communications thread for more details.

Arena The (un)Official NFL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I'd try to trade down to 5 or 6. I'm not a fan of Smith, let the Eagles draft him and draft Barkley instead. I like him more, he seems to have the mental stuff down unlike Geno.
  2. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
    Yeah, but then there's going to be the injury questions about Barkley. But yeah, Barkley's probably better prepared mentally than Smith is.
  3. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I definitely don't want to draft Barkley as high as we'd need to. Every USC QB of the last 10 years has been a bust in the NFL. Their stats and performance is greatly enhanced by having a lot of good players around them at USC. I have come to firmly believe they are frauds.
  4. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
  5. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
    The Farve withdrawal must have been too much for some news outlets.

Former RB Thomas Jones to donate his brain.

Jags have a coach

Broncos pick new OC

Ryan Leaf goes to prison

Edit: Going back to @solojones question of who is worthy of a #1 pick, I'm not sure I can think of a specific player given that nobody really stands out to me this year other than the mediocre QBs, but given the number of good defensive players that are leaving, I'm probably going to agree with Kiper in the sense that it'll be a defensive player this year. I suspect the upcoming Combine will make things a bit more clearer as to who's going #1
    Last edited by Juliet316, Jan 17, 2013
  6. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
  7. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
    Does this mean you're willing to pay my way to New Orleans so I can sneak into Media Day during SuperBowl week?
  8. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    They never "intentionally tanked" anything. They genuinely sucked without Manning, as it was obvious that Polian constructed a team that had a ton of deficiencies that Manning was good enough to cover up.

-------------------------------------------------

And Arains is going to the Cardinals. I've never had a reason to dislike that franchise until now. [face_frustrated]
  9. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Oh please, they basically put people on IR if they got the hiccups.

Sorry, I can't respect a draft opinion that comes from Kiper. He's a joke. Besides, one would assume from Te'o being the top regarded defensive player that uh... either the whole class is weak or he is just insanely overrated. Guy is a 2nd rounder at best.

But yeah I am definitely anxious to see how the combine goes.
  10. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Luke Joeckel is a stud that you can build a line around. If I'm at number 1 on the board that's my guy.

Te'o is projected to go 8, 9, 10 in the first round by a lot of guys. Hardly the best defensive player in the draft. This whole mess with the girlfriend could drop him even lower.
  11. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
    You know, up until yesterday I thought I'd really had heard it all in terms of crazy sports stories. This whole thing with the fake girlfriend just boggles me.

Edit: and yes, it's definitely going to torpedo his draft stock.
  12. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Really? As someone who posts on the JC, you really find stories of people being fake girls online totally unbelievable? You clearly don't know your JC lore.
    s65horsey likes this.
  13. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
    Oh yes, because girls don't exist on the Internet.:p

Seriously, it's not that I don't believe a hoax like though this couldn't happen, I'm just boggled that a football player would actually feel the need to fake a girlfriend and then make up a story of her dying in a car accident. I mean there are better ways of trying to get ESPN's attention and a Heisman.
  14. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Did you even read the story? He didn't make it up. Some other people did and pretended to be this girl online and on the phone. They faked him out. He thought she was a real person who had really died.

Now I finally understand why you just post links and headlines without comment. I was wondering why you said you thought it would hurt his draft position. If you can't even be bothered to read and comment on a story, why are you posting it?

Edit: Also yes people have faked being women whom other people e-dated here. There have also been users that some of us were friends with who faked their death. So it's really far from abstract or surprising to me, sadly.
    DarthTunick and tom like this.
  15. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
    When the story first came out and even yesterday, there was still a lot of doubt over whether he was in on it or not, and given all the other recent news involving liars and cheaters; forgive me if I'm just a cynical ***** who thinks nearly everybody in sports is a liar these days.
  16. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    It just sounded like you hadn't read your own article that you had posted, which is confusing is all I'm saying.
  17. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    She read the headline. Wasn't that enough?
  18. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    I personally like the conspiracy theory ending to the story in Bill Simmons Mailbag:

Bill Belichick spending the past few years creating Manti's fake dead girl, then hiring someone to play her on the phone, with the ultimate intent of wounding Manti's draft stock enough that he'd fall to the bottom of the first round of the 2013 draft … right to the New England Patriots.
  19. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    [face_laugh] That's awesome, Inty.

I don't think there is any way he was actually duped. There are so many things that don't add up and I, personally, hope he comes out as gay to explain why he did this so we can finally get the male sports to fully address the issue of gay athletes and why there aren't any in the major male sports.
  20. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
    How would you like your Internets Inty, because I just choked on some Mountain Dew in laughter.

@s65horsey there are gay athletes in major sports, it's just most of them retire before they come out.
    Last edited by Juliet316, Jan 18, 2013
  21. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    Thanks, I had no idea that was the case. [face_plain]
  22. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    Pep Hamilton is Indy's new OC. He was Luck's OC at Stanford. I think it was a good hire. He runs a WCO with a lot more emphasis on the run. This should keep Luck upright for most of the season and not nearly killed like he was in Arian's system.

Can't wait to see all the puns this year. :p
    s65horsey likes this.
  23. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
  24. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    when did arians get hired by someone else? must have missed that one.
  25. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    Aren't the Cardinals one of your teams, Trim?