main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I was interested in this post, but you used Roman numerals and really ruined it for me.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Vegas opens with the Niners 4.5 point favorites, O/U at 49. I like the Niners by a bit more than that, probably around 10.

3. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I was thinking Niners at 6 or 7.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Are you kidding me? The use of Roman numerals for each Super Bowl is one of the coolest things about it, as I see it. The logo's used to be great, too:

[​IMG]

Look at that variety! Some aren't as good as others, but at least some thought was put into them. Now we get this standardized garbage:

[​IMG]

Completely unimaginative.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Most of those old Super Bowl logos look like crap, though.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I'd still rather have those than a plain, silver Terminator like font.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The trouble with the colors was probably that you never knew what team was going to be playing in the Super Bowl, and sometimes the colors of the logo would have been the colors of one or other of the teams. Or their rivals. If the Chiefs had ever gone to a Super Bowl with an orange and blue logo, I'd have puked at the merchandise :p

9. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I meant I don't understand Roman numerals, Tunick. You're somehow making this more painful.

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  11. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    I'm siding with Tunick for the second time today. The standardized logo is awful. I miss the host city themed logo.

Trimaj and DarthTunick like this.
  12. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I agree that the standardized Super Bowl logos are a travesty. They have no character whatsoever. Laugh all you want, but I used to greatly anticipate the unveiling of the following year's Super Bowl logo--and I wasn't the only one; it was always in the Top 10 on Google Trends the day it was revealed. The change was made three years ago to improve the "branding" of the Super Bowl. Because, you know, the Super Bowl event is in a fluid and volatile state and the branding needs to be secured in order to insure that there will be annual interest.

Darth McClain and DarthTunick like this.
  13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I wouldn't mind new logos each year if they didn't suck so much.

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Any of the old logo's that you do like? :p And while were on this topic, my favorite Super Bowl logo's of yesteryear:

[​IMG]

Love the colors there.

[​IMG]

Excellent use of incorporating the roses (and this would be the last Super Bowl to date played here in the L.A. area), since the game was at the Rose Bowl. My favorite Super Bowl logo of all time.

[​IMG]

Another great example of fine incorporation of the host city/state... also a fan of the light blue color on the ribbon, and the font used on the Roman numerals.

[​IMG]

Big points for a good New Orleans theme/good use of colors.

[​IMG]

My 2nd favorite logo of all time... a big fan of all the different colors used in the Roman numerals.

[​IMG]

I like the font used in the 'Super Bowl' tag, and the contrast of blue & the creamsicle orange.

[​IMG]

Use of a pylon for the 'I' numeral? Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

15. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Another great thing about these logos is that they become part of a team's identity; that unique logo belongs to the team who won that game. If I look at any one of those logos, I can tell you instantly--literally, instantly--who won that Super Bowl. Hell, I can tell you who lost that Super Bowl. Twenty years from now, nobody will be able to say that. You'll have to do the calculus in your head--Super Bowl XLVII...that's Super Bowl 46...we're on Super Bowl 66...the year is 2033, so that Super Bowl was in 2013...ah, I know who won it that year, it was the...."

Trimaj and Juliet316 like this.
  16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The XXXII one is okay. I don't like any of the others.

17. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    We can look forward to the following team's getting new uniforms next year:
    Miami Dolphins
    Jacksonville jaguars
    Minnesota Vikings

18. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    According to Sportscenter, the League will apparently look into Brady's kick. Hopefully he'll get fined for that. He could have really done damage to Ed Reed's knee on that ***** play.

19. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Worth a $10g fine.

20. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    He's Back!

Sorry Goodell, you are still going to get ripped in NOLA next week, but nice try.

21. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    and put me in the traditional Super Bowl logos camp. I like how each Super Bowl had a unique look and feel. Not the standardized look the NFL has now. They changed the conference champs trophies too and the new ones suck. Give us the block of wood trophies Goodell.

Here's my personal favorite Super Bowl logo (I'm biased of course):

[​IMG]

DarthTunick likes this.
  22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Uuuugh the orange. The design of that logo is cool but the color is horrendous.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Good, I was wondering if Golden Boy was going to get looked at for that kick. I was like "If they don't at least look at fining Brady for that after fining Suh, then there's definitely an problem with the disipline system."

24. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm in the custom logo camp too. The generic logo now is just so bland. My favorite is the Roses logo.

25. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    NFL needs a damn team in LA again so the Super Bowl can be played at the Rose Bowl!