Arena The (un)Official NFL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    why blame the refs or the other team when you can blame the POWER
    Juliet316 likes this.
  2. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    well, i blame two things for two very different things. i blame the refs in the game, because there were some very bad no calls. that's, to me, why the niners lost.

i blame the power outage for the ravens not completely owning this game completely.
  3. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    Though the no-call on the rather obvious defense holding by Baltimore was atrocious, it's not the sole reason why the 49'ers lost. I'm glad that the game ended up being entertaining/fascinating to watch.
  4. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Well yeah, that's what I was saying. Totally agree. The ref stuff annoys me but ultimately the fault goes to our D being awful in the first half and our O not taking the opportunities they really needed to. It's a bummer. But I guess at least we have a young team.
  5. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    you're forgetting the OPI no call on the play before james jones TD tunick. that would have changed the first half a bit i think.
  6. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    So glad that Ray Lewis had God's support on this one. Douche.
    Kiki-Gonn and heels1785 like this.
  7. Condition2SQ Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    The NFL dodged a huge bullet, there. And I agree that "illegitimate" would have been too strong of a word for a potential Niners victory, but it would have been endlessly dissected and scrutinized. There's never been an Act of God in a Super Bowl that has so decisively swung the momentum.

EDIT: The final pass was clearly uncatchable. What's the fuss about? And the Niners were the beneficiaries of a nearly identical no-call in the NFCCG.
    Last edited by Condition2SQ, Feb 3, 2013
  8. tom Chosen One

star 6
    holding, unlike pass interference, is a penalty whether the ball is catchable or not. the niners have a legitimate gripe, but the fact that it wasn't catchable is why it doesn't bother me so much.
    solojones likes this.
  9. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    @Trimaj: Well, sure...

:p

@Jordan Barry: Please explain yourself a bit more clearly about how a 49'ers win would have been "tainted".
  10. Juliet316 Streak for Colors Bonanza Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    Between the outage and the questionable officiating, the game's going to be endlessly dissected and scrutinized anyway.

Edit: and the obsenity bombs are probably the reason why Elementary was on when I came back from the bathroom break and bringing the outdoor cat in. :p

Edit2: Flacco's MVP.
    Last edited by Juliet316, Feb 3, 2013
  11. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    Sorry for your loss, Tom. It was a valiant effort to comeback.
  12. heels1785 Jedi Draft and Streak for Colors Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    I think John is right when he says Jim Harbaugh is the best coach in the game right now. Belichick has his place in history, but I think the Niners are built for the long run with Kaepernick and that defense, regardless of tonight.
  13. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
    Did 49ers fans forget the NFC Championship Game? You won on a no-call possible defensive holding. I don't want to hear about this one.
    LloydChristmas and Condition2SQ like this.
  14. xblackout Force Ghost

star 4
    Concerning the blackout tonight...

I am from Cleveland. And what is my username? That is all.
  15. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    not a fan of either team PG. i am a fan of fairly called games though, regardless of what happened two weeks ago.
  16. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    What a great game. During that first half, I knew you couldn't count the Niners out. People at my house were saying things like, "Put Smith in!" or "Just forfeit the game!" when the power went out. Niners always have something for the second half. Unfortunately, this time, it just was not enough.

Ever since they won their spot at this game, everybody's been saying what an advantage the niners have and all the odds were going their way, and I kept thinking, "This is wrong, this is so wrong." The niners are the better team on paper, which is a lot of why the predictors had them down for a win tonight, but it was plainly obvious from the very start, with that illegal formation, that they were far less prepared, mentally, than the Ravens. The Ravens were just solid!

I think a lot of Ravens fans would have chalked up a Niners win tonight to the power going out, just like a lot of Niners fans tonight are going to chalk up the Ravens win to bad no calls, but things like referee buffoonery or the power going out are just the uncontrollable circumstances you gotta deal with in any sport. Clearly, the Ravens were better prepared to cope. They planted the seeds in the first half and then held on*.

Congratulations to the Ravens, this year in this match-up, they were the better team. I do think the Niners are going to return to the Superbowl in the next few years however, with their great coach, defense, and Kaepernick. Hell, Kaepernick's name even sounds like the kind of precious metal that starts rushes for which the team is named for.

*literally [face_frustrated] :p
    solojones, Liam_Vehn and tom like this.
  17. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    The penalty wouldn't have mattered either way. Chris Kluwe explained it pretty thoroughly on his Twitter page.
    Last edited by Fire_Ice_Death, Feb 3, 2013
  18. tom Chosen One

star 6
    yeah, he's talking about baltimore's punt from the end zone and the holding on that play, not the attempted 4th and goal by the 49ers and the holding against crabtree, which is the play that most people are taking issue with.
  19. Juliet316 Streak for Colors Bonanza Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    So do we have an actual cause of the blackout yet, other than a possibly Cleveland fan or New England Patriot
  20. DarthHutt Force Ghost

star 5
    It looks like the only big question left to ask is, how much $$ the refs actually put down on Baltimore.
    Given the unspeakable number of big calls/non-calls, I'd have to guess their life savings.
    Last edited by DarthHutt, Feb 4, 2013
  21. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    More like DarthButthurt. Amirite?
    LloydChristmas likes this.
  22. TheGuardianofArlon Force Ghost

star 6
    Some memes about the Superbowl
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG][IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]
    Juliet316, Trimaj and heels1785 like this.
  23. heels1785 Jedi Draft and Streak for Colors Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    The Bane one is priceless.
  24. EBSaints Force Ghost

star 6
    Stuff like this only happens in New Orleans

Can't wait for the Snow Bowl next year
    Last edited by EBSaints, Feb 4, 2013
    Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    A championship in the elements and on Groundhog Day. Should be epic. I want snow, lots and lots of snow!

They're talking about no in stadium halftime show next year. Too rough to do it bad weather. I'm guessing radio city music hall will have it live. Or maybe hologram tupac can perform.
    Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.