Arena The (un)Official NFL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Well with Bradford out for the year, most people probably tried to scalp their tickets today for the Sox/Cards game. At least that game would likely be more competitive than the football game is likely to be.
  2. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Also people in Saint Louis don't care about football. They did for one year, and that was it. Honestly I was hoping a few years back that they wouldn't be able to find a new owner to keep them there and would come back to LA. Seems like it would be a good fit since there are probably still some straggler fans around.

Of course, then I'd just hate LA's team because I hate the Rams. MO rivalry and all that. From that perspective, I'd much rather LA get a team like the Jags who are so innocuous there's nothing to love or hate about them. Then I could at least nothing my local team :p
    DarthTunick likes this.
  3. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    I'm only going to tune in for that game during the commercials for Red Sox/Cardinals (assuming there is one), and if I don't hear at least one Cardinals chant, I'm going to be disappointed. As it relates to sports, St. Louis is a baseball town through & through, where as Kansas City is much more the football town (despite the Royals having periods of success). Naturally, the one (thus far) time the two cities were pitted against each other in a championship series was in the '85 World Series, which, despite the Royals winning it, might have meant more culturally in St. Louis than it did in the K.C. area. Maybe. :p

And yes, there are plenty of straggler Rams fans around here in La La Land. Anecdotally, I knew two of them: An ex-co worker of mine who had season tickets, even when the team moved south to Anaheim, and the father of one of my dear friends. The Rams triumph in Super Bowl XXXIV was so, so bittersweet for him (and others obviously).
  4. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
  5. burrisjedimaster1 Force Ghost

star 4
    Minnesota should have put in Joe Webb. Freeman was making Tebow look good. Those passes were so far off it was pittiful and he is a better quarerback than that.
    Last edited by burrisjedimaster1, Oct 22, 2013
  6. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    At this point, I just want an asteroid to hit the Vikings locker room, so we can reboot the whole goddamned team. I am bitter because I wish our state excelled at something. Anything.
  7. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
  8. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    When it comes to the Chiefs playing against the Broncos, I'm trying not to be too optimistic. I feel like the safe prediction is that each team will win their home game.
  9. jacktherack Force Ghost

star 4
    as much as i like Joe Webb i thought we should have put Cassel in. I'm fairly sure he could have won for us. It's too late now since our remaining schedule is a nightmare, every single team we face has a winning record.
    burrisjedimaster1 likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Maybe we should just beg Favre to come out of retirement even though he's not that great either.
    burrisjedimaster1 likes this.
  11. Placeholder Force Ghost

star 4
    Freeman could still work out for them. He got thrown to the wolves last night. When your head is swimming with a new offense and new terminology you aren't going to play well. He hasn't worked with these receivers, he doesn't know their body language yet or how they run routes. You can't judge him yet.
  12. jacktherack Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey if Favre won't come back why don't we get Fran Tarkenton? I'm sure he'd do better then the quarterbacks we have now. Hell fire the whole team and find the members of the 70's vikings team, they probably could have beaten the giants.
    heels1785 likes this.
  13. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    How come no one is talking about how the Chiefs have beaten one team with a winning record and that game was won by a point?
    Texans 2-5
    Dallas 4-3
    Eagles 3-4
    Giants 1-6
    Titans 3-4
    Raiders 2-4
    Jags 0-7
  14. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    I guess because a 7-0 start is pretty impressive for a team that went 2-14 the year before. Besides, the players can't help who it is they have to play.
    solojones, Rew and Juliet316 like this.
  15. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  16. Ben Kenobi Force Ghost

star 5
    @jacktherack Freeman can definitely still work for you, he's just got to learn to work with your system, and with your receiving core. I feel like the proliferation of really good rookie and 2nd year QBs is gonna make certain OCs a little impatient with QBs, but that needs to be got over. Not everyone is gonna be a highly mobile read-option kind of person, some of them are still going to be traditional QBs. OCs need to recognize that, and work to develop them in the more traditional manner. I would hate to see the next potential Peyton getting passed over cuz everyone's trying to find the next potential Wilson, Griffin, or Kaepernick.
  17. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6

Head over to the Twitter, ESPN message boards, or other places in which keyboard commandos dwell, and you'll find the droids you're looking for. Plenty of chatter.
  18. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    I think Chiefs fans are justified to be excited, particularly with their defense. Yes the teams they've played haven't won much but they have been suffocated by the Chiefs.

Their season doesn't really begin until after the bye though, with 5 out of 7 divisional games, especially with the Chargers and Broncos looking good.
  19. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  20. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    The chiefs are a good team this year despite that crap schedule. But yeah, it's a valid point.
  21. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Interesting list over on Awful Announcing of licensing rights that could be bought for the 1.9 billion dollars/year that ESPN pays for Monday Night Football. Combined, they don't even cost one billion.

100 million - 2010 and 2014 World Cups

100 million - USGA rights including the Men's and Women's US Open

~90 million - UFC on Fox

83.3 million - EPL season

80 million - Rose Bowl

80 million - Sugar Bowl

75 million - US Open Tennis

55 million - Orange Bowl

~45 million - Big East rights

25 million - British Open

20 million - AAC rights

~18 million - MLS season

12 million - WNBA season

~10 million - IndyCar season

7.5 million - Little League World Series

5 million - Kentucky Derby

Free - America's Cup sailing
  22. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Why don't we just change football into rollerball?
  23. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    Seen on Reddit: Minnesota's current QB situation.

[IMG]
    Last edited by Jedi-Anakin-Solo, Oct 24, 2013
  24. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    That was easily the funniest Mayne Event, back when Kenny Mayne used to do those.
  25. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    I want to laugh, but it's so utterly pathetic and true.