Arena The (un)Official NFL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    So theorizing about whether Gronk could have made that catch if not for the PI is irrelevant. It was still a pass near him in the field of play and that makes it 100% pass interference

My comment was more to the point that if the call had been made, it would have been unfortunate because he wouldn't have made the catch anyway; like when you see a holding call on the opposite side of the field of an otherwise incredible kick return that has nothing to do with the outcome of the play, but is called back regardless.
  2. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
  3. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    Gruden was saying on the last play of the game you should grab, hold, do anything to stop a TD. Looks like his ideology worked. Mainly because refs are afraid to make calls on the last play when the game is on the line. Also ya never know what could happen on the next play.
  4. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    s65horsey likes this.
  5. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  6. thebeanpole Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    As depressed as I am about the patriot's banged up defense, in which there seems to be a new injury every week, at least our offense is more or less intact now. I can't even imagine what it feels like to be a Green Bay fan right now...losing Cobb for several weeks, Rodgers for a little while, and Finley for the season must just be terrible.

I did read in a couple sources that there's a small chance all the patriots secondary starters might be active against the Broncos, but it would be a long shot...Gregory would be playing with a broken thumb, Dennard would be playing with a hurt knee, Talib still wouldn't be 100% and would be coming off a sub-par performance against the Panthers, and Arrington would be playing with his groin injury.

I think Denver's got this one. Thoughts?
  7. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Denver's only traveled four times this year, with only one of those games ending in a win by double digits (@ Giants). Those games also include their loss at Indy and the tight one in Dallas.

They'll be on the road for 4 of the last 6 weeks- I think New England has got a great shot to beat them.
    Last edited by heels1785, Nov 20, 2013
  8. thebeanpole Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    This is true, all very good points. You've already made me think a little more positively about this game lol. I just worry, it's nice knowing you have a good secondary that can cover elite receivers...if the defense is still this banged up come sunday, the offense is the only thing that's going to beat Denver.

Then again, even with our cornerbacks healthy, the offense still would probably be the deciding factor against Denver, so who knows.
    Last edited by thebeanpole, Nov 20, 2013
  9. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    so... why is it that it seems like truly great running backs keep getting stuck on crappy teams? AP, tomlinson wasn't really ever on a great team, barry sanders, stephen jackson, etc, etc, etc. kinda odd how that happens so much.
  10. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I think Denver pulls out the win. I think it will be fairly close, like 27-17. No blow out or anything. Denver spreads the ball out so well that New England's beat up secondary shouldn't be able to keep up. The Patriots have been giving up a decent amount of points in their last three games. If the Patriots get healthy this week I think it's a whole different game though. I look forward to watching this one, another huge playoff picture game.
  11. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    I hope Denver puts up at least 50 points on them. What goes around and whatnot...
  12. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    I just want Wes Welker to score 4 TDs or something. I still can't believe they gave him up.
  13. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    good chance welker doesn't play, since he was knocked out of their last game with a concussion... or at the very least a blow to the head.
  14. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    I do love Deadspin. Really cool chart they posted today:

[IMG]

They've got yearly breakdowns by conference of who started for each team.

Some fun names that have been thrown onto the trash heap of failed QB history- Marques Tuiasosopo (0-2 for Raiders), Jarious Jackson (0-1 for Broncos), Warren Moon (0-1 for Chiefs- I don't remember this at all), Cleo Lemon (1-7 for Fins), Stoney Case (2-2 for Ravens), Dave Ragone (0-2 for Texans), Randy Fasani (0-1) and Matt Lytle (0-1, both for Panthers), Cody Pickett (0-2 for Niners), Keith Null (0-4 for Rams) and my favorite, Brooks Bollinger, who was 0-1 for the Vikings.
    xblackout likes this.
  15. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    HOFers like Warren Moon should not count as 'failed QBs' since they went on to have HOF careers.
    Last edited by Juliet316, Nov 20, 2013
  16. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    How did you not remember when Moon played for the Chiefs?! Shame on you :p

Again, as others have pointed out, Defensive Holding is only applicable before the ball is in the air. It's holding to impede someone's route in that fashion. When you keep holding onto them once the ball is thrown their way, that's PI.

And to those who still somehow think that was uncatchable.... yeah, it wasn'. Because he was being wrapped up entirely! If you don't believe that Gronk could have at least come back to the ball and gotten a hand on it had he not been bear-hugged and held to the back off the endzone, I don't think you've ever seen a Patriot's game. But really, how good the receiver is should be irrelevant to the call. The rules don't say it's only PI if you know for sure the guy would have caught it. They say you can't impede someone attempting to catch the ball in this fashion. This is not a gray area.

I think the most egregious part of this is that the ref threw the flag then picked it up. Basically it seems like he was afraid of the home crowd getting pissed and got intimidated into making a bad call. And you just can't do that.
    Last edited by solojones, Nov 20, 2013
    lbr789 and heels1785 like this.
  17. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6

Good catch, Juliet. My bad.
    Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Darthkat76 Force Ghost

star 4
  19. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  20. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
  21. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    It seemed to be a fairly intense week for football.
  22. Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    This Sunday night is a trap game for Denver if I ever saw one. My Pats are a pissed off team right now that is going to be playing at home, with a full compliment of healthy weapons at Tom's disposal, and basically the whole country outside of here in New England calling us underdogs. Take away two BS calls by the refs this year that decided games, and we're 9-1, right there tied for the best record in the league. Peyton himself has admitted that he doesn't sleep well the night before he has to play the Pats because more often then not, we've had his number. The Denver defense has shown, especially in the Dallas game, that if you scheme properly, they can be passed on almost at will. I believe this is going to be a high scoring shootout, in which turnovers are going to be key. Whoever commits the least amount, is going to come out on top. Let the haters hate, but I'm willing to bet Tom gets the better of his fellow future hall-of-famer again.
  23. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    Don't see how it's a trap game. The teams seem evenly matched in most ways. Do the Pats have a home edge? Yes. Trap game? No.
  24. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    I've never heard this term before can someone explain "trap game" to me?
  25. dp4m Chosen One

star 9

Basically it's a game where theoretically, on paper, one team is supposed to be dominant -- especially coming off a quality win over an actually tough team -- and is looking ahead down the schedule (either to the week immediately following or overall) and walks into their current opponent and get played hard and lose.