main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    except almost no one would go for the 2 points, because almost no one does it now.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I like this idea a whole lot.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Nah, no more so than Archie Manning's actions surrounding Eli and the Chargers. I'm sure that happens all of the time, he just skipped out on the meeting with Mora to make himself look like a degenerate - which, coincidentally, he turned out to be.

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Currently I have Baldwin in my fantasy line up for the Super Bowl. Good pick or should I go with Tate?

6. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'd go with Tate. Harvin will get any return yards (if those are counted) that Baldwin usually would, and Tate has led the team in receptions. Only thing good for Baldwin is that he will likely be covered in the slot on passing downs by Quentin Jammer, who is about as effective a corner at age 34 as my shoe.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  8. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    The faux bs rivalry they're trying to portray between Rice and Sanders is laughable. Feels more like WWE schtick.

9. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013
  10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm not sure what besides a larger pot for the winner could turn the Pro Bowl around. I don't like the MLB ASG deciding home versus away so I wouldn't like that at the NFL.

But they need to do something or just eliminate it. How about put it at the start of the year? Make it like a summer classic? Then again, fewer would probably play because they wouldn't have an offseason to heal if injured during game.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Draft position/picks for the team of which ever HC coaches the Pro Bowl? (if it went back to it's usual format next year)

12. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    anyone else seen this before now? NFL to try new clock rules at pro bowl

all i have to say is i really hope that they don't incorporate any of that into regular games... the two minute warning/ball switching teams at the end of every quarter for instance... just no.

13. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Super Bowl preview...teams announced they will wear the following uniforms. I was kind of hoping Seattle would wear the wolf gray pants.
    [​IMG]

14. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Yeah the Pro Bowl just needs to go away at this point. It's basically flag football and the players really have no incentive to play hard in it. What used to be funny is when they would have it after the Super Bowl, and the players that had just played in it are there chilling, and rightly so. What an anti-climatic ending to your season. You've just played in the biggest game of your life the week before, but the NFL wants you to show up and be motivated to play in a meaningless game in Hawaii? Ugh! The only cool thing about the Pro Bowl is seeing all the different team helmets on the field at the same time.
    I'd be all for some mid-season skills competition or something. They could have "NFL All-Star Week" or something during the halfway point of the season. Every team could get a bye on that week. The NFL could name players to All-Star teams, but as recognition of achievement only. The players selected, could all gather at some neutral site (perhaps wherever the Super Bowl is going to be played that year), and they can get handed out awards for being named to the teams. Then there could be a ton of player/fan interaction, with kids being allowed to come on the field with the players and toss the ball around, or get pointers on how to play the game, followed by big autograph sessions and stuff like that. There could even be simulation challenges set up at the stadium like "Play a game of Madden against your favorite NFL All-Star" or "The NFL IQ Challenge. Think you know football? Prove it by matching whits with your favorite NFL All-Star." Both the fan and the player would be presented with game-like simulation situations on a big screen, and they have to decide what to do for those given situations. Imagine being able to play some kind of "Read the defense" simulation against Peyton Manning. If the fan wins, they can get prize money. If the player wins, the money goes to charity. The biggest events could be at different days of the week, and they can have skills competitions between the players that were selected to the teams. QB's can have passing competitions of all kinds, RB's can have something where maybe they have to run through a timed obstacle course, kickers can have kicking compeitions, things like that. They kind of do watered down versions of these already, but we could easily make them more exciting. In these different ways, it would keep the spirit of All-Star week, which is really for the fans anyway, but the players still get the recognition they deserve from having a great season. There would obviously still be cash bonus incentives for making the All-Star teams, and prize money for winning the skills competitions. It would be a win-win for all parties involved. The players win by being named to the teams, getting bonus money, and risk-free competition. The fans win because they can interact with the players and marvel at their skills. The NFL wins because they are doing all this "for the fans" but would still rake in all kinds of money by having all the biggest names in the game in one place at the same time. I think this kind of thing would be pretty cool.

15. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    I say we kick Goodell out and put you in as NFL commissioner. That's a great idea. =D=

thebeanpole and jcgoble3 like this.
  16. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Goodell's going to be on CBS This Morning, talking about a variety of things including concussions and contingency plans for a snowy Super Bowl. Should be interesting.

18. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    They need to bring back the Superstars Challenge and make it NFL players only. Who doesn't want to see Crabtree and Sherman in a canoe together trying to row to a bouey and back faster than say team Peyton/Eli.

s65horsey and tom like this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Daily News is doing their "All Championship" team, thought it'd be fun to see who we picked. Nominations are solely based on championship game performances, not careers.

Coach
    Bill Belichick, Patriots/Browns
    Vince Lombardi, Packers/Redskins
    Bill Walsh, 49ers
    Tom Coughlin, Jaguars/Giants
    Joe Gibbs, Redskins
    Jimmy Johnson, Cowboys/Dolphins
    Chuck Noll, Steelers
    Bill Parcells, Giants/Patriots/Jets/Cowboys
    Mike Shanahan, Broncos/Redskins
    Don Shula, Dolphins

Quarterback
    Joe Montana, 49ers/Chiefs
    Tom Brady, Patriots
    Terry Bradshaw, Steelers
    Troy Aikman, Cowboys
    John Elway, Broncos
    Eli Manning, Giants
    Joe Namath, Jets/Rams
    Phil Simms, Giants
    Bart Starr, Packers
    Roger Staubach, Cowboys

Running Back
    Marcus Allen, Raiders/Chiefs
    Roger Craig, 49ers
    Larry Csonka, Dolphins
    Terrell Davis, Broncos
    Marshall Faulk, Colts/Rams
    Franco Harris, Steelers
    John Riggins, Redskins
    Emmitt Smith, Cowboys/Cardinals
    Timmy Smith, Redskins
    Matt Snell, Jets

Wide Reciever
    Fred Biletnikoff, Raiders
    Deion Branch, Patriots/Colts
    Santonio Holmes, Steelers/Jets
    Michael Irvin, Cowboys
    Max McGee, Packers
    Jerry Rice, 49ers
    George Sauer, Jets
    John Stallworth, Steelers
    Lynn Swann, Steelers
    John Taylor, 49ers

Tight End
    Mark Bavaro, Giants
    Larry Brown, Steelers
    Dave Casper, Raiders
    Mark Chmura, Packers
    Ben Coates, Patriots
    Dan Ross, Bengals
    Aaron Hernandez, Patriots
    John Mackey, Colts
    Jay Novacek, Cowboys
    Stu Voight, Vikings

Offensive Line
    Larry Allen, Cowboys
    Russ Grimm, Redskins
    Joe Jacoby, Redskins
    Mark Schlereth, Broncos
    Gene Upshaw, Raiders
    Mike Webster, Steelers
    Rayfield Wright, Cowboys
    Larry Little, Dolphins
    Dave Herman, Jets
    Jerry Kramer, Packers

Linebacker
    Jack Ham, Giants
    Ted Hendricks, Raiders
    Chuck Howley, Cowboys
    Jack Lambert, Steelers
    Ray Lewis, Ravens
    Ken Norton, Cowboys
    Mike Singletary, Bears
    Lawrence Taylor, Giants
    Nick Buoniconti, Dolphins
    Ray Nitschke, Packers

Defensive Line
    Richard Dent, Bears
    Joe Greene, Steelers
    Charles Haley, Cowboys
    Bob Lilly, Cowboys
    Michael Strahan, Giants
    Randy White, Cowboys
    Reggie White, Eagles/Packers
    Harvey Martin, Cowboys
    LC Greenwood, Steelers
    Manny Fernandez, Dolphins

Defensive Back
    Larry Brown, Cowboys
    Randy Beverly, Jets
    Rodney Harrison, Patriots
    Dexter Jackson, Bucs
    Ty Law, Patriots
    Ronnie Lott, 49ers
    Deion Sanders, Cowboys/49ers/Falcons
    Jake Scott, Dolphins
    Dwight Smith, Bucs
    Rod Woodson, Steelers/Ravens

Kicker
    David Akers, Eagles/49ers
    Jason Elam, Broncos
    Garrett Hartley, Saints
    Mark Moseley, Redskins
    Jim Turner, Jets
    Adam Vinatieri, Patriots/Colts
    Uwe Von Schamann, Dolphins
    Ray Wersching, 49ers
    Jim O'Brien, Colts
    Don Chandler, Giants/Packers

--

My picks:

Bill Walsh
    Tom Brady
    Emmitt Smith
    Jerry Rice
    Jay Novacek
    Rayfield Wright
    Lawrence Taylor
    Richard Dent
    Ronnie Lott
    Adam Vinatieri

20. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    two problems with that list. one: the lack of otto graham completely invalidates the QB portion of the list. period. two: they neglected to have deion sanders listed as a raven, which he was for a few years when he came out of retirement.

i also question the lack of jim brown, because if i'm remembering right he won a couple championships as well.

21. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

Don't laugh a the Superstars, it got Renaldo Nehemiah a job with the 49ers. Which worked out incredibly well.

tom likes this.
  22. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I know you all are hating on the Pro Bowl but it really doesn't bother me. I'd rather watch some sort of skills competition like the NBA guys do but I sort of view this as a vacation for the players picked and think that's a good thing since they worked hard all year to entertain us.

Since he shaved his beard, he's such a cutie! I think he needs a Colts one of those hats to wear all the time.
    [​IMG]

23. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Well, well, well.

Apparently, Crabtree refused to shake Sherman's hand after he offered it and said "good game."

The true bad sport is thus revealed, and the mystery of the angry rant is no more. While I love me some taunting and mockery while the game is on, when it's over (even if this particular football game was still technically ongoing), I always believed all players should proffer the open hand, shake, and go their separate ways. Maybe this instance of failed sportsmanship is extremely prevalent in the NFL, I really don't know, but if it is, I rather appreciate Sherman for putting a big spotlight on it.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    maybe crabtree is a huge jerk, but i can't get too mad at him for not taking sherman's hand in that moment right after the game deciding play. i think just about anyone would be a little upset and would want a smiling richard sherman out of their face.

DT421, thebeanpole and s65horsey like this.
  25. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Oh, I understand Crabtree's actions completely. I would've (and have done) the same under many similar circumstances, especially in the first few moments after an extremely emotional moment like that.

Still, reacting the way he did was the wrong thing to do, especially with the helmet pushing.