main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, i know. it's just that i'm surrounded by seahawks fans calling him an ***hole, when it was really just a very human response.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

Right after the pick, Sherman ran to him, smacked him on the butt, then offered his hand while screaming "Hell of a game!" right after the pick sealed the loss. I don't blame Crabtree, and don't consider him a poor sport, nor do I think Sherman was wrong. It was gloating, which is fine- happens all of the time, but it was not some great display of sportsmanship on Sherman's part, just because he extended a hand- that's naive. It was essentially a touchdown celebration in a big game, and the fact that it has been blown up into groups of crazy people demonizing either player is just a waste of everyone's time.

Edit: tl;dr - what tom said

3. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Yeah Crabtree not shaking the hand of a gloating Sherman in no way excuses Sherman's reaction when Andrews interviewed him or him making a choking sign at Kaep. Its funny that people are trying to pin this on Crabtree now. I think the internet hilariously overdid the situation especially those that call him a thug, but Sherman was not being a good sport or thinking of anyone other than himself with his actions and its laughable to suggest otherwise.

4. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Weeellll, I have no prior knowledge of Sherman from before this game (did he play when they were at Candlestick earlier in the season? I can't remember), so maybe he's just the type that grasps at whatever opportunity he can to be a ****. I also didn't know about the choking sign.

When I watch the video, I see Sherman genuinely expecting he would get a handshake from Crabtree. Crabtree doesn't just not do that, he also pushes his helmet away. So what does Sherman do? He gets all angry and goes on the rant. He was tee'd off, and after finding out why, I absolutely understand. The guy just won a ticket to the Superbowl, and instead of being happy about that, he was so ticked off he ranted about the snub'n'push instead.

Although, who knows, maybe if Crabtree had shaken his hand, Sherman would've insulted and ranted about Kaepernick or somebody else instead. From what I gather now, he seems to be that type.

edit: despite that, I still maintain Crabtree should've taken his hand, but I understand why he didn't. Anger, emotion of the moment, gloating, all of that. But Crabtree has been in countless games just like this one all the way up to this point in his life. There's no reason he shouldn't have been prepared for the way he felt.

5. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    To hell with that. Sherman wasn't being sincere with that handshake or he would have saved it for after the game. He was taunting. Do you forget he's the same numbskull who was baiting Revis into a twitter war. Claiming he was better. And this during his rookie year. The dude is a helluva player. But he gloats way too much and is self absorbed.

6. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    What, Revis? Twitter war? Can't forget since I didn't know. I don't (well, didn't) know much about Sherman.

The point about saving the handshake for after the game is a very good one. Conceded.

7. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
  8. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    They've made some good moves so far and the offseason has barely started.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Munchak is a huge pickup for a Steelers line that has been beleaguered for years. With LeBeau likely on his last few years, I could see him working his way up to Asst. Head Coach and being a real stabilizing force for Tomlin.

11. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I agree with Eeth, Sherman was taunting Crabtree.

12. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Yeah, I'm sorry, but if Crabtree had made the catch and then tried to shake Sherman's hand, would we expect Sherman to meekly accept it? I have no problem with Crabtree doing the shove. I don't even have any issue with Sherman's interview or his later declaration of Crabtree as "mediocre". He and Crabtree don't like each other, so the idea that Sherman was just innocently trying to shake his hand is absurd to me. Baldwin told SVP and Russillo that everything he does is for a reason, and interacting with Crabtree right after preventing his team from reaching the Super Bowl was certainly a deliberate move on his part.

tom likes this.
  13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Is this a thing we're still caring about? A wide receiver and a corner got in a tiff and a guy shouted after a football game? This is the dumbest overplayed Super Bowl storyline. The Niners aren't even in the Super Bowl. Can't Sherman at least scream at Peyton's kids or something to make this moral panic relevant?

jcgoble3 and tom like this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    What's this I hear about Brady not watching the Superbowl?
    Saw this on ESPN..........

15. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

Sherman apparently already had a problem with Crabtree before the game. Clearly this goes ack to before the one play.

Also, not sure how many people here remember Dave Megget, but this is a pretty incredibly disturbing story.

16. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    anything to do with rape is disturbing, football player or not. sickening that he became that.

don't really know why brady SHOULD watch the SB, since it doesn't really matter to him what happens in it... why's this an issue at all exactly?

17. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Beware: the 1990 Giants.

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I heard that their beef started at a charity event for Fitzgerald. Interesting.

Meggett was one of the most famous athletes to come from SC in his time (Kevin Garnett, Jermaine O'Neal, Vonnie Holliday, and the great Kwame Brown). Most unfortunate that he made those choices, post-career.

19. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    wasn't just post career, if you read the article it started happening while he was still playing. makes me wonder how much it happened that isn't known about as well. pretty despicable behavior overall.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006

The Peyton Manning part cracked me up.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the whole thing killed me. "a baby is a little man. a chair is somewhere to sit."

s65horsey likes this.
  22. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    I love those things.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Wow...

http://grantland.com/features/the-nfl-honor-roll/

CmpAttCmp%YdsYds/AttTDINT
    Player A 257 407 63.1% 3,357 8.2 26 9
    Player B 225 330 68.2% 2,739 8.3 28 5
    Player A is Russell Wilson. Player B is Peyton Manning’s season split in half. Pretty decent, I guess.

24. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    yea. i saw that earlier. that... is kind of insane really.

25. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Line play is horrible in the PB so far.