Arena The (un)Official NFL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. jcgoble3 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Question #13 of the untimed quiz is wrong. The quiz says that when the 5-yard facemask was abolished, incidental grasping of the facemask became a 15-yard penalty. In fact, according to Rule 12, Section 2, Article 14 of the 2013 NFL Rulebook, incidental grasping is a legal play if the facemask is immediately released.

Other than that, I only missed the question about the timekeeper, which put me in good company with the 85% of other quiz-takers that missed that one. The fair catch kick question (which I got right) was correctly answered by almost twice as many people as the timekeeper question. That's surprising.
  2. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    I think that's a new rule/interpretation, since it's in red. Newer than the quiz.
  3. Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Madden 25 has predicted a Broncos overtime win. They also predict snow...but my forecast shows H37F, L24F and 20% chance of precip.
  4. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    This is interesting. A study shows where every injury in the NFL occurred (what part of the body)

[IMG]

I'm actually amazed that there were only 87 concussions reported. This also makes more sense of a story I read the other day where the football players say they are more concerned with leg/knee injuries than head injuries.
  5. Juliet316 Force Ghost

star 8
    Gary Kubiak is joining the Ravens staff as OC replacing Caldwell.
  6. Condition2SQ Jedi Knight

star 4
    I know the actual matchup mitigates against it, but we sure are overdue for a Super Bowl blowout. It's been a minor miracle how good the games have been in the last ten years.
  7. Juliet316 Force Ghost

star 8
    Well technically we had a blowout going on last year before somebody decided to blow half the lights in the Superdome out.
  8. Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    We have been pretty blessed. The bucs/raiders and the ravens/giants are the worst Super Bowls in the last 15 years.
  9. Juliet316 Force Ghost

star 8
    Gregg Williams has been rehired as Rams DC.
  10. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10

It was great comedy, though, around La La Land the next day, with how pissed & annoyed all the Raider fans were.
  11. AstroFan428 Jedi Master

star 2
    Anyone who watches the Texans can now predict every play the Ravens will run.
  12. Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Knight

star 4
    Anyone else find this whole Marshawn Lynch not talking to the media thing to be really stupid? I mean really, who cares if he doesn't talk to the media? Maybe he has trouble with public speaking, or maybe he just doesn't care. Either way leave the man alone! He does his job on the field. Is anyone other than the media offended by this? I swear, they are always trying to make stories out of things that are not stories at all.
    Trimaj and Juliet316 like this.
  13. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    I'm pretty sure the football players are under contract to talk to the media.
  14. Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Knight

star 4
  15. Juliet316 Force Ghost

star 8
    And not for nothing, but Richard Sherman's more than willing to talk if Lynch doesn't want to.
  16. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    So they don't have to leave him alone. He is under contract to speak with them and he's not doing it. I think they should be calling him out on that.
  17. AstroFan428 Jedi Master

star 2
    I think it is dumb. If they force him to talk, which he doesn't want to do, he isn't going to give you anything anyway. It's not like they are gonna get any great soundbites.
    Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Juliet316 Force Ghost

star 8
    And the Seahawks are probably deep down relieved that his being unwilling to talk means he's liable to not open his mouth and say something stupid like a certain 49er did last year.
  19. AstroFan428 Jedi Master

star 2
  20. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    Yeah, but the league media availability requirement is stupid. It's just designed to feed the machine. It has no actual value. Ninety-nine percent of all athlete/coach sound bites are completely meaningless, pointless drivel. "Hey, Marshawn, what do the Seahawks have to do to win the game?" "Well, we've got to run the ball hard, make some good plays, take care of the football, keep Manning off the field." It's just insipid questions answered with a string of cliches. The only times interviews are ever even mildly interesting, when someone goes off-script and says something unexpected or passionate, they get pilloried as insane or absurd and everyone insists they never should have said it. THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE, I'M A GROWN MAN, DON'T YOU EVER TALK ABOUT ME, WE'RE TALKING ABOUT PRACTICE, PLAYOFFS? It's a lose-lose proposition and everyone would be better off if we stopped wasting everybody's time on this inane, empty ritual.

"Hey, Marshawn, how excited are you to be in a Super Bowl?"

"I'm super excited, man."

"How's it working with Russell Wilson?"

"He's great. He's a real leader."

"Hey, Marshawn, are you going to run the ball hard?"

"You bet!"

There you go. There's all the NOTHING you missed, America.
    Trimaj, jcgoble3, thebeanpole and 5 others like this.
  21. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    Yeah I get that Hav, but he signed a contract with that in there. He knows its coming. It isn't like they've never had to do this before. Heck they even have to in College. It just makes me think he's a baby throwing a tantrum instead of a man standing up for his job that is paying him a lot of money to do this.
  22. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5

Lynch did go in front of the media though. Sure he only did it for six minutes, but then he did an interview with Deion Sanders afterwards. The fuss was about him not taking anymore questions and ending it early on Media Day.
  23. DarkEagle Jedi Master

star 4

To me, based on the descriptions of his behavior during the interviews, it seems more of a social anxiety thing than a "up yours NFL"
  24. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    If it were that though then I'm sure he could get a doctor to sign off on that and get a special pass with the NFL. He's a great player, surely if it were a serious disorder they'd make an exception.

PG - he ended it early though. That's not fulfilling something in your contract.
  25. thebeanpole Jedi Knight

star 2
    It's too bad, no matter what people say to him this guy just can't seem to understand that his primary job is to answer remarkably intelligent and deep questions from all the wonderful reporters. He's so stubborn he just can't seem to get playing football out of his head.