Arena The (un)Official NFL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10

Yeah, I know, it's me once again bringing up the subject of Los Angeles collegiate professional football (over/under on the number of eyes rolling?), but with that Olbermann opening, we've clearly hit a critical mass in a short of amount of time -less than a week!- concerning information related to this topic, so why not squeeze out just one more mini-rant?

I can't disagree much with Olbermann's assessment there -though, we're not all beach people out here, damn it. There are so, so many other leisurely activities for one to do, activities that are much more relaxing than a day at the beach... well, for me anyway :p-, but I was disappointed (he should know better) that he didn't bring this up: which major cultural/media/racial event was occurring here in L.A. in 1995? The Orenthal James Simpson murder trial! Never mind the early-to-mid 90's context of La La Land DOOM to which the O.J. trial occurred in (the riots in '92, massive wildfires & other serious inclement weather in '93, the '94 Northridge quake (January), and of course the beginnings & such of the trial- the Nicole Simpson & Ron Goldman murder on June 12th, 1994, the Bronco "chase" 5-days later, and then everything else leading up to the exact start of the trial... January 24th, 1995), obviously being the epicenter of it all made just about everything else an afterthought. There's no way to exactly prove this as an absolute certainty, but there's no doubt in my humble opinion that the O.J. case played a role in the "indifference" of the Rams & Raiders leaving. Just because we're a passive-aggressive sports town (mostly) doesn't mean that the inherent reality of having the 2-NFL franchises leaving town in the same damn calendar year would be such a "non-event"; if the Rams-Raiders move had happened just a few years before (around '89-'91) or a few years after (around '96-'00), there most certainly would have been much more umbrage, outrage, etc, about it.

*gets off of soapbox* :p
    Last edited by DarthTunick, Jul 21, 2014
  2. heels1785 JCC/PT Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Jaws has released his annual offseason QB big board. Discuss.

1. P Manning
    2. Brady
    3. Rodgers
    4. Brees
    5. Luck
    6. Roethlisberger
    7. Rivers
    8. Ryan
    9. Wilson
    10. Flacco
    11. E Manning
    12. Romo
    13. Kaepernick
    14. Newton
    15. Foles
    16. Stafford
    17. A Smith
    18. Dalton
    19. Cutler
    20. Palmer
    21. Griffin
    22. Schaub
    23. Tannehill
    24. Bradford
    25. McCown
    26. B Hoyer
    27. Henne
    28. Manuel
    29. Locker
    30. G Smith
    31. Fitzpatrick
    32. Cassel
  3. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
    First thought: Not even remotely surprised Manziel is not on his list given he thought nobody should have drafted him in the first place.

Second thought: Romo's rated way too high.
  4. Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Flacco and Eli are too high as well.
  5. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
    Flacco and Eli at least have Super Bowl rings. Eli has two even.

Edit: Stephen A. Smith is making me sick going out of his way to excuse Tony Dungy's Michael Sam comments.
    Last edited by Juliet316, Jul 22, 2014
  6. heels1785 JCC/PT Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Too High
    Rivers
    Wilson
    Foles (way, way too high)
    A Smith
    Schaub

Too Low
    Romo (could justify him as top 6-7)
    Stafford
    Dalton
    Cutler (way, way too low)
    Tannehill

I'm judging on actual quarterback play - how I would envision these guys if each went to a team of exact equal ability, and their success rate and rank.
    Last edited by heels1785, Jul 22, 2014
  7. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
    I'd still rate romo too high. How many times has he been on the cusp of getting into the playoffs and blown it the last game of the season?
  8. heels1785 JCC/PT Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Dallas hasn't really had a reliable running back since Romo has been there, health or productivity wise. They throw the pall, generally, 30-50 times a game. While Romo has "lost" games for the Cowboys with key turnovers, if you look at those games (see Denver, last year) and what he did to get them to that point, it's generally impressive. He has also certainly "won" games for Dallas, a lot of them.

Is he clutch? No. Is he a prolific passer that gives his team a good chance to win each week? Absolutely. I'd take him on my team in a heartbeat.
  9. vin Chosen One

star 4
    Juliet is a cowboy hater. Romo has the numbers and plain sucks in the clutch.
  10. heels1785 JCC/PT Manager

Manager
    star 6

Deadspin
  11. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Not that Jaws' list here is any sort of a final, definitive say, but shouldn't Kaepernick at least be in the top-10?
  12. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
    Yeah, I'd definitely put Kaep ahead of Ryan.
  13. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    No, because Kaepernick is not a great quarterback.
  14. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Fair or not, his team's success should at least give him a top-ten spot on a semi-arbitrary ranking of QB talent. :p
    Juliet316 likes this.
  15. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    You're right. Should probably be above Romo.
    Juliet316 and DarthTunick like this.
  16. vin Chosen One

star 4
    You guys are crazy. Kaep was horrendous last year.
  17. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Still played enough of a part to lead the 49ers to their 3rd consecutive trip to the NFC title game, though.
    Juliet316 likes this.
  18. vin Chosen One

star 4
  19. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 8
    He took his team to a Super Bowl and almost pulled off an pretty good comeback in it. Romo has never even won a playoff game.
  20. Condition2SQ Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    The "it's not that he's gay, it's that he's a distraction" as an excuse rings about the same to me as "I don't care that my neighbors are black; I care that other people care and it's going to hurt the value of my home". The net effect is still the same.
    DarthTunick likes this.
  21. vin Chosen One

star 4
    Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Your argument is invalid.
    [IMG]

Anyone can have a flash of greatness.
    Last edited by vin, Jul 22, 2014
  22. heels1785 JCC/PT Manager

Manager
    star 6
    His total inefficiency in the first half played a large role in the need for a comeback.

I think Kaep is a world class athlete still learning how to play quarterback. He plays for a team that doesn't necessarily need a Drew Brees back there winning every game for them - unbelievable defense, pro bowl back, one of the best offensive lines in football. He can get there, I hope he does, but he is in no way a top 10 NFL QB today.
  23. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, I think Foles is too high. There's no way I'd put him above Stafford. And Cutler is way too low. I'd put him in the top half of the league. I'm fine with Romo's place. I think he's a top half talent, too.

My first instinct is to say that I don't think Locker's a bottom 5, but I'd imagine Jaws is factoring in his fragility.

I believe Jaws doesn't put any rookies on there, just those who were the starters last season, i.e. those who would have to lose their jobs in the next few months.
    Last edited by MistrX, Jul 22, 2014
    heels1785 likes this.
  24. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10

My point is that Kap was a top-10 QB for last season due to his team's success... perhaps some of his stats would tell a different story, but I don't care, because ultimately this is a foolish, "hot-sports take" argument; if Kap ends up as a sexier version of Dilfer, then fine... but I ultimately don't care how his career turns out.
  25. heels1785 JCC/PT Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Pat Bowlen is stepping aside in Denver - deep into Alzheimer's. He's consistently been one of the best owners in the league, quite sad.