main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    JOHNNY FOOTBALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It looks like Welker suffered yet another concussion in the Broncos pre - season game.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Needs to retire, stat. Broncos need to cut him and Goodell needs to ban another team from signing him. He's not going to know what his name is in a few years.

Will never happen, but for his health, I wish it would.

Mike Sam is apparently having an outstanding preseason for St. Louis, representing Mizzou and the SEC well!

Juke Skywalker and Juliet316 like this.
  4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, I hate to say it, but at this point I agree. This is his fourth concussion in two years. As good as he still is, that's got to be a sign that he needs to hang the cleats up.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  5. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I used to be pretty fanatical about fantasy sports, often having 4-6 teams per sport (NFL, NBA, MLB) going at one time. But I haven't played since '09, my declining interest in fantasy sports matching my waning--now shockingly almost non-existent--interest in real sports. But I got harassed into joining a league at work and we drafted Saturday. Where I used to prep for drafts weeks in advance, I took maybe 15 minutes to get ready for this one. I stuck to my old draft philosophy, I just needed to get familiar with the players again.

Anyway, I was interested in getting some feedback from fans on how I did. It's an NFL.com league, standard default rosters and scoring.

QB

Andrew Luck
    Nick Foles

RB

LeSean McCoy
    Ryan Matthews
    Chris Johnson
    Stevan Ridley

WR

AJ Green
    Victor Cruz
    DeSean Jackson
    Marques Colston

TE

Rob Gronkowski
    Zach Ertz

DEF

Broncos

K

Mason Crosby

After the draft, NFL.com sent me an email with a draft grade and rather detailed analysis [face_laugh]. Things have certainly come a long way in 5 years. I got a B, and was projected to finish 3rd out of 8 teams. I feel I did okay overall. I think I took Luck too high. I should've drafted another RB or WR with his pick (my 3rd). I still would've had my choice of several good QBs, including Foles, later. I also think I should've grabbed St. Louis' DEF instead of Denver's.

Thoughts?

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Manziel's being judged by the same standards as everyone else; his problem is that he can't live up to them. Because he's an imbecile.

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  7. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Manning got a penalty for taunting. LOL.

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Sam Bradford reinjured the knee where he tore his ACL last year. According to ESPN it doesn't seem to be another ACL tear.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Juke Skywalker -

You have good top-end guys in Green and McCoy, and a smart QB pick in Luck. My concern is with some of the depth guys (Matthews, Johnson, Jackson) eithering playing for bad teams (Johnson, Jackson) or having established records of doing very little, outside of a few good weeks (Matthews).

Gronk is a risk, but the biggest possible boom if you got it right. I've drafted him in some of my leagues, too. Broncos defense is bound to improve with Talib, Ward, and Ware. Good show, all around. I'd say B+/A-.

10. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Thanks for the feedback heels1785! You've pretty much confirmed my own fears lol.

11. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013

For your QB's, I would give a solid A. Luck is a total stud and should only continue to get better in his third year. Plus he gets Wayne and Allen back, and now has Nicks as well. He plays in a weak division too, which should only help his numbers. Foles plays in a weak division as well, and should continue putting up some good numbers in that Chip Kelly offense.
    Your running backs are the weakest part of your team, but then again it's really a crapshoot with running backs in this day in age. You did well to grab Shady McCoy, as he's a top 3 back. Your other three backs are guaranteed to split carries with two or three other backs, so you're not going to know what you're going to get from them week to week. Mathews is going to lose downs to Woodhead, particularly if the Chargers are down and have to pass. They used Woodhead almost exclusively obvious passing situations last year, and that should continue. They also added Donald Brown, which is further going to cut into Mathews' carries. CJ2K hasn't been elite for going on four years now, so I wouldn't trust him. Ridley can run the rock, and I am a Pats fan and I like him, but Belichick goes with the hot hand, and if Ridley is fumbling or not having a good day, he won't hesitate to sit him for the whole rest of the game and go with Vereen and others.
    Your wide receivers are pretty good. I think Jackson, who is coming off a career year, is further going to be motivated by the fact that the Iggles cut him.
    Love your TE's, but Gronk is always an injury risk. Be prepared to roll without him. When he's healthy, always always always start him. Ertz is an up and coming guy and I think he's underrated. Good pick up there.
    The Denver defense is overrated. Manning makes them look good because he puts 20+ points of distance between them and the other team. The fact is they give up a ton of yards and points via the air because teams are always playing from behind. If they play a physical team like the Seahawks again, they're going to be bullied, and bullied hard.
    Crosby is a good fantasy kicker and plays for a team that generally scores a lot of points. Solid pick.

12. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Bradford's out for the year. Tough break for the Rams.

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Tougher break for Bradford. This was absolutely his make-or-break year - I imagine the Rams will be drafting a QB with their lottery pick next year, if they don't trade for Cousins or Mallett this year.

Hard to say with only one preseason game left.

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm one who barely pays attention to the preseason and generally don't think preseason results matter at all. but damn, the niners look awful.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, blowing out his ACL in the span of two years... Bradford's likely done as a QB.

And the sad thing is right now, the QB draft class in 2015, looks like it might be worse than this year's draft class with no notable front runner right now (and Braxton Miller done for the year with his own shoulder issues)

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Well, Bradford should get a shot to back up someone somewhere, and maybe work his way up.

2015 could potentially be a big season for QBs, though, Juliet. Mariota from Oregon, and then the two guys who stayed in school this year (Bryce Petty - Baylor and Brett Hundley - UCLA).

Possibly Jameis Winston, too - he's a third year sophomore, and he says he's staying longer at FSU, but if this season doesn't go as well as last year, he could leave. They'll have options - that's what leads me to believe that Fisher isn't going to throw a high draft pick at one of the "ready" backups somewhere, as long as ownership is willing to be patient with him and Shaun Hill.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    We'll see. Who knows? The NFL season is always unpredictable.

18. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    He gets way more focus than pretty much any other rookie, and that heightened leads to higher expectations. Now I'm in no way saying he hasn't brought this spotlight on himself, but to pretend like he's being viewed as any other rookie in the league is just plain ridiculous.

19. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    HAHA **** YOU CARSON PALMER!

I know it's pre-season...but still. Wish he wasn't QB for Arizona cause I love me some Larry.

20. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Well the Ari defense isn't looking the same (as you would expect).

21. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
  22. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Thanks for the feedback, Dark Lord Of The Empire! As I feared, it seems like my RB corps is a little thin, but as you said, after the first 8-10 guys it's always a crapshoot anyway. It seems like it's increasingly a utility position. I'll likely use one of my WR's in my flex most weeks with this group.

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    He gets more attention, but the standards he's being held to aren't any higher. No one's giving Teddy Bridgewater and Blake Bortles free passes to flip off opponents, show up late to team meetings, get drunk in Vegas rather than study the playbook, or do whatever else. Manziel is just the one taking heat because he's the only one stupid and undisciplined enough to do it.

24. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Yeah and I mean the writing was on the wall already. Character issues are the reasons he fell as far as he did in the draft in the first place. Then he walks across the stage doing that stupid money sign nonsense when he is supposed to be entering the ranks of professionals. In the ranks of professionals, you get weeded out real quick if you don't get your act together. He'll learn that the hard way I think.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    He'll either learn humility or he'll wash out like Ryan Leaf.

Edit: Also Incognito has been cleared to play by the NFL. And he's already had one meeting with the Bucs.