main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, pretty much my point. That sometime down the line Rice will be given a second chance, just like others who have gotten into trouble before have.

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007

Actually, assuming that my reasons for disliking Vick are racially-motivated says more about you than it does about me. Vick is still a scumbag in my opinion, and that has nothing to do with his skin color

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ays-minnesota-vikings-suspend-adrian-peterson

That's one.

Anheuser-Busch has weighed in with concern.

Nike has pulled all AP merchandise totally.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Goodell is getting fired if he doesn't suspend at least Adrian Peterson.

EDIT: Forgot about PepsiCo!

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Out of all of the awful news, we touched on the story of Devon Still a few weeks ago. He is the Bengals defensive tackle whose young daughter was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer, and instead of cutting him as planned, Marvin Lewis signed him to the practice squad to ensure his medical coverage. Still was promoted to the active roster before the season began.

Now, the Bengals are selling his jersey for proceeds to support pediatric cancer research. In the first 24 hours, it was the fastest selling jersey in team history. Coach Sean Payton of the Saints bought 100 jerseys, out of pocket. $400,000 in jersey sales in 4 days.

His daughter was given a 50% chance at survival originally, and will find out this week if the tumor has shrunken enough to remove.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Yep, between reading the AV Club review of "Sleeping in Light" today and seeing that story basically 30 minutes after that...

Well, let's just say that there were a metric crap-ton of ninjas cutting onions in my living room...

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Stolen from WookatMe in the Fantasy thread:

[​IMG]

WookatMe likes this.
  9. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
  10. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    That's fine, but the whole "The NFL doesn't pay taxes!!!!111!!" story was way overblown; the league administrative office is tax-exempt, not the individual franchises, which account but for all but a sliver of the NFL's revenue.

heels1785 and Darth Tunes like this.
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm guessing Bud Selig is calling Gooddell right now basically telling him "get these guys out of the game right now before your incompetence punishes all of us!"

12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  13. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Neither the MLB or NBA would be affected. I think the major leagues that would be hit are the NFL, the NHL, and the ATP.

14. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    lol yeah Bud already nixed their tax exemption...so they don't have to fill out a Form 990 and show how much he gets paid.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The larger issue is anti-trust exemptions. Unless something is proposed along those lines, things like Booker's laws I think are mostly symbolic.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Sorry, edit timer expired.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11541346/adrian-peterson-barred-all-minnesota-vikings-activities

This is actually a very savvy move and whomever recommended it deserves a raise and a medal from Goodell. I didn't even know there was an exempt list, but this accomplishes everything needed and saves the Commissioner at the sole cost of money.

Basically, the team could only suspend him for four games -- which is punting the situation (no pun intended) down the line, since this is unlikely to be settled in four weeks -- which would have meant the Commish would need to get involved, possibly angering the NFLPA. By doing this, it's indefinite but AP still gets paid to not play.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I knew about it when Keyshawn Johnson's primadonna antics (not off the field ones like Peterson), but him put on that inactive/exempt list. (and it's making me feel old that I remember that)

I don't know if this is something appealable under the CBA as it stands now, as IIRC, most players don't appeal this, just move onto other teams after the season's over, but like I pointed out yesterday, Peterson's not going to even see a courtroom until 2015 at the earliest, so I guess we'll find out.

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    This guy is getting eviscerated on the Twitter. One of the bolder apologists for the league.

[​IMG]

44 million dollars a year. Don't want him working too hard.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    lol, virtually around the clock. Not in the type of climate you've created, Commish. The year-round NFL in a mass-media world.

Daily pressers, at minimum, bub. C'mon son!

EDIT: I'd like to point out that Adam Schefter basically just said exactly what I said above (re: exempt list), which just shows how much I've been watching ESPN every day while working from home if we're sounding alike...

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    No Radisson hotel on the Vikings banner.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Would be the right move by Carolina to move Hardy to that list. 49ers have a bit more of a dilemma, as Ray McDonald has only been accused, not indicted - I think the wave of public opinion will force the Niners FO to move him onto it as well.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I have a little more sympathy for McDonald as the case is still in the discovery phase, as opposed to Ray Rice (which was a clear failure of law enforcement) and Hardy (who is convicted and awaiting appeal not whether he'll be charged). I'd like to think there can be a nuanced discussion there, but I suspect you are correct.

24. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    If Goodell survives until the next draft, can you imagine the boos that are going to rain down on him when he steps to the podium? I mean, he already gets booed pretty loud as it is, but this time around they're really going to want to run him right out of Radio City. I can just hear all the "fi-re Ro-ger" chants!

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000