main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    OH I KNOW LLOYD DONT I REALLY :)

Go back a few pages when I told her that her arguments didn't hold water.

You're awesome, don't be unawesome, home skillet. I try to be nice to most.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

heels1785 likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Dammit Cowboys, it's December! Choke!

LloydChristmas likes this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Hey buddy.

5. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Yup, that's totally me.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Again, when someone said the thing I mentioned wasn't right, I said I had just been going on my own memory. I asked if there was some other change or restriction I was maybe thinking of. Those were genuine questions. No one paid them any attention, but that's hardly my fault...

Precisely! That's what I've been trying to tell everyone! :p

And ugggh you are like my cousin who in the 90s decided he wanted to be a Broncos fan (conveniently around when they won their Super Bowls). Needless to say, this didn't go over well with the family and led to a lot of, "Ew leave that Broncos coat in the car, you'll ruin Christmas" moments.

But then he grew older and wiser, and now he works for the Chiefs ;)

Precisely. And I will say, though, that even my crazy mother thinks our family friend who is an absolutely ludicrous Bama fan is a crazy person. I mean, we are huge fans, but this girl is the type of person who will be depressed for the whole week if Bama loses. She also planned her own wedding in a shortened number of months in order to sneak it in one summer before the football season began, because she refused to miss a game for her own wedding.

What I'm saying is... there are different levels of crazy fandom, and some of them you have to be born into. But none of them are as annoying or extreme as Bama fans :p

It was going so well until you mentioned Stamford Bridge. Ew :p

7. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    you know... saying that preference for a sports team has anything to do with wisdom is at least mildly silly, even in jest.

8. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I love the players and you love the game.

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    No horsey, I love the team. American football is the ultimate team sport. When I want to root primarily for an individual player, I watch singles tennis. There are 53 men on an NFL team and there are dozens of individual specialized roles. Reducing that to one player that you really like is selling the whole thing short.

Well first of all, most things should be able to be jested about. Certainly most things in sports.

Secondly, I have been the one to say numerous times that the entire concept of sports fandom is, objectively, pretty arbitrary and silly. But the purpose of following a sports team is to:

1) be entertained
    2) be united with all kinds of people in your community whom you otherwise wouldn't have much in common with
    3) get out natural human inclinations toward tribalism and dislike of another group in a totally harmless manner called 'rivalry'

10. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I don't like the way Dallas is playing right now.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    which is a large part of why i said associating wisdom with it is silly. since it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it in any capacity.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Philly takes the lead.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    If someone is being glib, the whole point is to exaggerate, Tristan ;)

... I also ****ing hate the word "silly". It conjures up images of elementary school teachers tutting at their students, and reminds me of all the conservative friends I had whose parents made them talk like they were half their age because they didn't want them using 'bad words' like "crap" or "sucks" :p

Juliet, you may be getting that Cowboy choke you were hoping for! Ahhh hahahhahaha. Oh Cowgirls.

14. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I think the real issue is whether the correct spelling of 'bandwagoning' is with one g or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heels1785 likes this.
  15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    If you built a bandwagon, would you be considered a bandwagoneer?

16. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    well, silly is a bit more than just that rachel. a sense of humorousness is implied with the word, for one thing. and i'd imagine you know me well enough to know that i'll use those words, when appropriate.

and using the word wisdom there isn't really exaggeration so much as saying that it's actually important. which is substantially different than mere exaggeration.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I've been a Dallas fan since the 1980s so I at least can't be considered "bandwagon" to the Aikman days... I still remember when they drafted him!

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Prenn, I blame my British education for this "waggon/wagon" confusion. And Canada, just for good measure.

Yes it is. That's exactly what it is :p That's why you use a word like "wisdom" in this situation, to imply exaggeration by the juxtaposition of the word and the situation. It's not some magical reverent word that can never be used ironically. I think you know me well enough to know I'm being glib about many things much of the time.

19. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Big win for the Dallas Cowboys. 10-4.

Next week at home vs Indy. Not an easy game.

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Shoot. Me. Now.

21. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Be safe in the knowledge that the Redskins beating the Cowboys has likely eliminated them from the postseason despite this game!

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Only if Andrew Luck beats them next week (which granted, given the craptastic way the Cowgirls have played at home this season is a distinct possiblity).

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ugh I just am so disgusted at the Chiefs' poor performance in the last month. Yes today was fine but this is also what we should have done in Oakland. And we had the Arizona game in hand. If we had just won one of those, especially the Oakland game, we would have been in a much much better place right now. I really want to win next week so the San Diego game still means something since it's the one I will be at.

But in honesty a large part of me feels like this team doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs. I won't feel bad for them if they miss out; rather, they should feel bad for us. They have been the worst teases two seasons in a row.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

24. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Fixed that for you.

25. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    It was nice to see some kind of pass rush for Dallas last night.

We are gonna need that vs Indy.