main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Yeah I'm so tenacious and intense that I haven't bothered checking into this thread in 4 days.

Nothing says "tenacious" like a twice-weekly visit to the forum. :rolleyes:
    Eh, sure seems to me an awful lot of people have skipped over the "if" part and have gone straight to sentencing. People (on both sides of the equation) are picking and choosing which leaked reports to believe. People (on both sides of the equation) will express sanctimonious outrage at the league's incompetent investigation if their side "loses".

People waiting to just hear the official facts of the situation (not the contradictory, unofficial leaks) are the exception, not the rule.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    This again?

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It's like two people arguing over Man of Steel or something... just let it go, people! :p

4. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Can we talk about super bowl commercials?
    Topic 1: banned spots for this year

5. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I reject the assertion that I'm a homer given that I spent Sunday ripping Dalton to shreds and Aaron Rodgers is objectively a divine creature.

s65horsey and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    So the Niners sign their offensive coordinator in Geep Chryst, who was their QB coach. This reeks. The Niners can't sign anyone with cache because their treatment of Harbaugh and the passing over of their defensive coordinator, Vic Fangio.

I feel the Niners will be looking for another head coach within three years, unless Tomsula can turn Kaepernick back into the superstar QB. It's like when the Raiders/Al Davis fired John Gruden all over again.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I really do wonder what Jed York is doing - he's got to be looking for pushovers, or something. At present, San Francisco is a great job, with Pro Bowl talent at most positions. I just can't fathom that there were not more established candidates to take up the mantle than the bunch they have settled on.

8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Possibly the greatest idea in the history of late night TV.

Conan, Gronk, and Beast Mode playing Mortal Kombat. Enjoy.

ShaneP, PRENNTACULAR and Tabula Rasa like this.
  9. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    That was amazing.

10. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    That was fantastic. What a pair.

11. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    On the Niners, I feel like their problem was that they got away from their identity this year. They are built to be an old school, smash mouth football team, they run the ball, and play good defense. I think this year they tried to get cute with the offense and tried to go more spread with wide receivers and CK passing much more, which as we saw, was not a good thing. They need to get back to punishing people on both sides of the ball. Carlos Hyde should be getting 20-25 carries per game. I still don't understand why LaMichael James was never given a real shot, especially after using a second round pick on him. Letting Dixon go and then Hunter going down to injury didn't help either.

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    he threw the ball four more times per game, which is hardly "much more". his rating was only slightly lower. i don't know how many of their games you actually watched but their problem wasn't so much getting away from their identity as it was a few key injuries on defense, and they still could have easily been 11-5. the loss against the raiders was the only time i really felt like this wasn't the same team, mostly it was just a tough season.

13. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I think the main problem is that they have an average at best QB.

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i would probably agree. he has an above average skill set and is capable of some things that i don't think any other quarterback is, but his execution has been poor, and often more so in the biggest moments of games. i feel like next year is probably his make or break season but i think i said that this year too lol.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Losing Bowman, Willis, Dorsey, Iupati, Staley, and many more was nearly impossible to get past, as well. Injuries just ravaged that team.

tom likes this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The defensive injuries really didn't seem to bother the Niners, except maybe in the Chargers game. I mean, the Niners defense always gave them a shot at winning the game. The offense definitely struggled, even against the Raiders. Over the past few years the Niners had difficulties getting signals and plays to Kaepernick and scoring in the red zone. It's been horrible to watch. I also think Kaepernick regressed than improved as a pocket passer as he had trouble staying in rhythm and sustaining drives. He was pretty bad on 3rd down conversions and for some reason didn't have any chemistry with Vernon Davis. It will be up to the new coaching staff to coach up CK7 and improve the Niners' Red Zone offense.

tom likes this.
  17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i do think you're right to an extent. the defense was still good. but in the previous two years they relied on their defense being not just good but dominant, and it just wasn't quite to that level without some of those key guys.

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Agreed, the Niners defense definitely took a step backwards in 2014 with the injuries and the suspension of Aldon Smith for nine games.

I'll be interested to see who the Niners draft knowing that Crabtree, Gore, Iupati and Justin Smith are likely to leave the team and Ray McDonald being cut for off the field troubles. I would really like the Niners to beef up the defensive line in the off season.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    deflategate, or whatever lloyd beez and deepee have spent 2 weeks talking about, is now solved.

20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I have a problem.

Will I be able to watch the Super Bowl? Or will the impending snowstorm, for which a Winter Storm Watch was issued earlier this afternoon, knock out my satellite reception?

Yes, I know that I could go to a sports bar to watch it. However, I am not comfortable in places where alcohol is served (largely because I do not drink alcohol myself and don't want to be tempted to do so), and I get extremely nervous in large crowds.

Yes, I know that, as a Verizon customer, I could stream it on NFL Mobile. However, I lack the data allowance to stream it over 4G, and I lack the home internet speed to stream over Wi-Fi without bogging down the whole connection for my non–football-watching dad. Also, my eyes cannot take staring at a video on a tiny 4-inch screen for more than a few minutes.

In other words, the only way for me to watch is on TV, at home. And I don't know if I'll be able to do that.

21. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I don't think it helped the 9ers that their head coach had his feet out the door as the season progressed. I don't think it is a coincidence that they dropped 4 of their last 5 when everyone on the planet knew Harbaugh was going going gone. I think he checked out mentally and when that happened, it's pretty easy for the players to follow suit.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Eh, two of those four losses were to Seattle. I think they were just overmatched, talent-wise. Don't think they quit, they managed to beat a great Arizona defense in the end.

23. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah the Niners had a tough 4-5 games to close the season. But I think all of those big QBs regressed this season, except for Luck. Wilson wasn't as good IMHO this year as last. Kaep took a big step back. And RG3 continues to struggle mightily.

But I agree Kaep really needs to improve this next season or he's on his way out.

24. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  25. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    STOP LUMPING ME INTO THINGS JUST CAUSE I DEFEND THE RODGERS

Watch Cardale highlights on YouTube [face_mischief]

jcgoble3 likes this.