main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    JFC, he apparently hadn't even signed his rookie contract yet.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Just makes me sick. Jacksonville so deserves a break.

3. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And it likely never will.

4. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    And here you go, per espn:

Brady suspended; Pats docked $1M, picks

Tom Brady has been suspended four games, and the Patriots will forfeit a first-round pick in 2016 and a fourth-round pick in 2017. New England was also hit with a $1 million fine.

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I know people wanted more games for Brady, but honestly, it was more than I thought he'd get hit with.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's about what I suspected, though it's interesting that sexually assaulting a woman in a bar where your OL blocked the bathroom and intentionally deflating balls are the same penalty...

heels1785 likes this.
  7. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    I'm kinda surprised they did anything to the rest of the organization, much less hit them with this. Ouch...

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Goddammit he misses the Cowboys game. Thanks a lot Tom.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    dp, I swear we're related or something.

As many people said when Ray Rice initially was docked TWO games for beating the hell out of his wife, there is no system - all discipline in the NFL is based on the direction of and ferocity of Roger Goodell's farts on that particular day. There are no safeguards, and no standards, no logic - everything's grabbed from thin air. And that was not changed after Goodell hired a few women "discipline experts" or whatever that was to make himself look better, apparently.

Darth Tunes and dp4m like this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm surprised that Brady got more than a two game suspension and yeah, that the Patriots were fined at all. I think the fines and penalties at the Patriots were more about past indiscretions like Spy Gate and whatnot, than Deflate Gate itself. I'm sure the Ravens are the happiest team to hear this news.

11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    So, in the league's eyes, deflating balls is worse than what Ray Rice did.

(Yeah, I know Rice's suspension was extended, but still...)

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And he'll be back in time for the Colts game. By that time they could go 1 - 3 (Since one of those games Tom's out is versus the Jags)

13. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

I doubt they'll go 1-3. The year he missed due to injury, they still went 11-5. They could still be good, but this hurts.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    He's out against the Steelers, Bills, Jags and Cowgirls.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Draft picks were always going to be taken as that's the default penalty for a Competition-based infraction (which this was). Brady's penalty was almost certainly 100% because of his refusal to cooperate plus the lie. He'd likely have been let off with either 1 week or no suspension otherwise.

16. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

At worst, the Pats go 2-2 against those teams.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I understand people's feelings about Ray Rice and others in the like. However, domestic violence off the field doesn't effect the integrity of the game like cheating.

This reminds me of a quote from the original The Longest Yard:

darth_gersh likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The guys that actually deflated the balls have been suspended indefinitely.

19. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Agreed. I guess I'm saying that had they not done anything to the rest of the team, based on the report that basically exonerated the coaches, ownership, etc..., it wouldn't have surprised me at all.

20. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Yeah they really have to keep upping the penalty for the Pats because the previous ones haven't hurt them at all or deterred them from continuing to cheat.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

... or just make sure they keep facing the Giants in the SB. Point Given

22. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    But here's the problem. The basis of the suspension is on the Ted Wells' report. It never explicitly said he knew of the deflating, only that it was "probable" that he knew.

Probable is not definite. If they're going to go by that standard, the league had better be prepared to apply that to suspending refs for egregiously bad calls. After all, it's "probable" that the phantom pass interference allowed Team A to lose.

If the league wanted to fine him, fine. But suspension for a quarter of a season should only be backed up by definite evidence and not mere probability.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Seriously, we've been over this like a gazillion times: the wording in the report is explicitly the burden of proof ("preponderance of evidence") and the exact legal language for proof in a civil court case which is exactly what the League has said it will use as default judgment for Competition-based infractions.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It's also his refusual to cooperate with said investigation, especially by refusing to hand over the text messages stated in the report.

25. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I don't care if its wrong or right, I love NFL drama.