main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Right, I did leave an out before for "... or other issues," but in most cases it's white women wanting a black man to not have a job. I'm... a little leery of that overall. Maybe I'm oversensitve, of course... worst case, you could just put me on ignore! :D

EDIT: PS - come back to the DC thread, there's a ridic rumor going on.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    No way, man!

Plus, mods can't ignore. Nor can we be ignored.. :yoda:

Edit - Give me a few. Gotta go conduct an exit interview. Work, always in the way.

dp4m likes this.
  3. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
  4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I just want to point out that those same white women hate Ben Rothlisberger just as much and he was never even convicted of a crime. Oh and he's white, so where's your racial motivation there?

People who hate on him are dog lovers. Plain and simple. I even have friends who don't watch football that talk about how much they hate him because they are ridiculous when it comes to dogs. There is racial motivation in some thing, many things, but this is not one of them.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Strangely, I'm more okay with people wanting repercussions for persons who clearly by all accounts committed a crime and didn't actually do the time for it. I think that's totally legitimate.

Also, I don't recall anyone asking or posting pictures about having the Steelers not keep him on the team. I don't recall that ever even being on the table (I may be recollecting wrong)...

6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    You can't say he "clearly" committed the crime if he was never convicted! In that case you're still saying our justice system is a failure which is what you're saying if wrong with how we feel about Vick.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

No, I'm saying he paid off a young girl. If it had gone to trial, almost every bit of information out there would have resulted in some form of a conviction -- and because he did the crime allegedly, I'm okay with people being pissed that he didn't do the time.

8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I'll always hate Vick for the way he treated animals. Would feel the same way if it was Tom Brady. Race plays no part in it. Don't care that he served his time. Don't care that he donates time and money now. Maybe when he's retired and if he continues this path I will find a way to accept him. But for now I just see a man doing whatever he has to to make a buck.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. PearsOfKrissto

PearsOfKrissto Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 21, 2015
    Being a Balti Fan, I have every person I know ask me if I loev Ray lewis too. No. i dislike him as a person greatly. Now, Race doesn't matter, its his off field actions that are the reasonings for that. That being said, when he retired, I did worry about the ilb position for a minute. Because i loved and trusted him as an ILB.

Vick is now a back up, because he is worthy of playing that position in the NFL. he made a horrid mmistake and paid for it pretty dearly. Prison isn't a fun place. Seriously. Its not like a walk in the park. he served hard time, its a federally underfunded craphole with people who are even worse than him who have no remorse at all. That says something about his CHARACTER to come back from that and become a fuctioning member of society. Don't judge people on thier past mistakes, take them for thier actions in the present and hold no expectations.

Juliet316 and vin like this.
  10. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I can appreciate everything you say. But this will always burn in my brain.

A report by a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) investigator provided more details on the April 2007 killings, saying that the men hung approximately three dogs “by placing a nylon cord over a 2 X 4 that was nailed to two trees located next to the big shed. They also drowned approximately three dogs by putting the dogs’ heads in a five gallon bucket of water.” They killed one dog by “slamming it to the ground several times before it died, breaking the dog’s back or neck.”

According to a witness, the men fought their trained pit bulls with pet dogs, and they “thought it was funny to watch the pit bull dogs belonging to Bad Newz Kennels injure or kill the other dogs.”

They hosted fights at the Virginia property and transported dogs to other states to participate in fights. The fights usually occurred late at night or in the early morning and would last several hours. Before fights, dogs would be bathed to remove any poison or narcotic that might have been placed on them to hinder their opponents’ performance. Losing dogs sometimes died in the pit. Gambling purses were frequently in the thousands of dollars.

Dogs who lost fights were sometimes executed:

“In or about March of 2003, PEACE, after consulting with VICK about the losing female pit bull’s condition, executed the losing dog by wetting the dog down with water and electrocuting the animal.” (Federal indictment PDF)

Point Given likes this.
  11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah, it's not about racism. It's about the cruelty with which Vick treated those dogs. Yes, he did his time, but serving one's sentence doesn't mean he gets a reset button for how people view him.

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I remember when everything went down (and the subseqent reports that showed just how botched the 'investigation' that lead to no charges being filed was), there were scores (me included) that wanted Rothlisberger dropped by the Steelers and out of the league. Especially with his attitude that he showed immediatedly follwing that night (I'll never regain whatever like I had for Vick again but he did at least own up to what he did, served his time and at least showed some remorse). The inital six game suspension was actually more than I thought would happen in that situation. It pissed me off greatly that the NFL actually seemingly regressed with what was intially doled out to Ray Rice. And I would have been pissed with what went down with Rapelisberger and Ray Rice regardless of what the color of their skin was.

To be quite frank, I'm glad Rice doesn't have a job in the league right now. Maybe it'll make a guy think twice before commiting a violent act toward a woman by realizing there's consequences for that.

13. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015
    Ok so here's the issue I have with the continued punishment of Ray rice.
    Look at Ray McDonald.
    Sober, repeat offender, hit his baby mama while she held their kid.
    Ray, fiance and himself drunk, arguing, he punches her, (if you've ever been around drunk people, they get unconscious pretty easily),. Went through counseling, got married, works hard, shows remorse and works hard every day now.
    Add in now rape charges on McDonald

14. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    They also get unconscious pretty easily if you're 200+ pounds and punch them in the ****ing face.

Listen there's a very simple formula for NFL players-- does your ability to help win games (and thus help make money) outweigh the potential negative impact of your off-the-field troubles (on the team's ability to make money)? In Vick's case the negative impact has decreased and he's an experienced talent at the most important position in the game. In Ray Rice's case he's the damn poster-child for domestic abuse in the league, but he also sucks. Like...he's not a great running back. If he was Adrian Peterson he'd be signed already-- and I feel pretty confident in that assertion for some reason.

Luckily we live in an information age where it's not only harder for doucheflames to get away with or at least hide abusing women/children/animals/etc. but where it's also easier for fanbases to voice their outrage about it-- and drive up that negative impact portion of the formula.

And y'all should definitely voice it extra hard about the Steelers [face_whistling]

xblackout and dp4m like this.
  15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I hate Vick. I hate him mostly because of what he did to those dogs. But I also dislike him because he's slight, small-handed, fragile, and was, at least for many years, a raging jackwad.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    PearsOfKrissto Ray McDonald also threw away the second chance he got and is currently unemployeed.

Also charged with rape.

And that's a part of why Ray Rice doesn't have a job right now and other guys that have been mentioned in this thread right now (with the exception of Ray McDonald) do. None of the others have video proof of what they did, while there's two very explicit videos of the night Rice hit the woman who would become his wife. Anytime people bring up giving Rice another chance, all anybody has to do is pop that video of what happened in that elevator and you stir up enough negative emotion towards Rice to pretty much shut down any 'second chance' talk.

17. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015
    Which is disappointing. Although I doubt he would be about as good as a 3rd down rb, he will never get a chance because of stigma

18. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    That is such a bizarre catfish story. It was bizarre that IK Enemkpali return to the home after leaving when he felt he was being catfished. Then that turned into a black mailing situation. Also, this story explains why Enemkpali was able to throw a good sucker punch on Geno Smith, it wasn't his first time.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This was the worst. There's no story there and ESPN only published it for clicks. 20 year old guy gets catfished, fears for his life, attempts to get blackmailed, punches a person, calls the police, the police confirm he's off the hook, and this was 4 years ago. I mean, seriously... ugh...

21. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015

So there's all the past, but we can't move on from a stupid situation?!

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's just ESPN looking for clicks -- what actual story is there? Is it looking to embarrass someone that embarrassed the league?

23. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015

Its the same thing for Rice, not exactly, but the point is, everything has been hashed, rehashed, recycled, its useless tired old crap in a horrid situation that everyone has had time to move on from. That's what needs to be taken from it. Moving onwards with life :)

Passive aggressive. Sorry.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Rice was a relatively current situation though, and as it was happening. This was when he was in college...

25. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015
    Its been enough time is the pointer. Although I understand that is a person by person feeling, forgiveness and effort counting all