main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    It's funny to think back about the discussions of who should have been the number 1 pick, Manning or Leaf.

Speaking of Ryan Leaf, I think his short NFL career heavily influence Alex Smith in that he didn't want to be a bust like him. I remember an interview Alex Smith did with Jim Rome early on in his career and Smith said he didn't want to be a bust like Leaf. To me, that's the reason why Smith typically will check the ball down instead of throwing it down the field as he was afraid of getting picked off. I believe like 85% of Smith's passes are under 15 yards.

2. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Yeah but Smith isn't a jerk like Leaf was. I think his earlier struggles are more to do with the fact that his team kept changing coordinators and systems.

3. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Just watched the 30/30 on da Bears. It was really good, except I still dislike Buddy Ryan.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Kirk Cousins and Washington have opened negotiations! *hopeful*

5. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Other than the PIs pulling some shady crap -- which is usually out of the hands of the hiring party until they find out about it -- what's wrong with this report?

7. Chromide

Jun 20, 2015
    Sly recanting his statements shortly after these goons visit him? Not wrong at all?

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No?

It wasn't just Manning who contacted him, they had no idea what was happening, and he then claimed he puffed it up and once he realized how serious it was he recanted. Now, could that all be BS? Of course it could, and that;s what the NFL investigation is supposed to determine but they'll obviously bungle that like everything else.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Chromide

Jun 20, 2015
    Yeah, I guess so. I don't think we can brush this off though, like most of the national media is doing. If this was Brady..... they'd be all over it. Last year they were quoted as saying that deflating footballs is as bad as PEDs, if their reaction to this shows anything, they must not think PEDs are that bad.

10. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Chromide

Jun 20, 2015
  12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    True story, dp4m, I used to work for Dustin Keller. From my brief interactions with him, he was a rather nice fellow. I hope that he did not cheat.

dp4m likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd be happy to never hear about Peyton Manning again after this week.

And as much as I appreciate having him on my team, I'm not sure why Luke Kuechly gets so much attention, more so than, say, Jonathan Stewart or Jericho Cotchery or Cameron Artis-Payne.

14. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Because he's white you silly goose. White middle linebackers always get overhyped attention. Just like white wide receivers.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Kuechly has also been one of the 3 or 4 best linebackers in the game for the last few years. Stewart was in DeAngelo Williams' shadow for a while and Cotchery has been a journeyman for his whole career.

16. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    yeah neither of those other guys are as good as Kuechly is

LloydChristmas and Chromide like this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Well, to be fair, we've known that the media treats PEDs-as-recovery different than PEDs-as-playing-enhancers as the Ray Lewis saga / deer antler spray bits unfolded (and let's not forget: that dude probably killed someone and nothing happened). So that's at least consistent.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The coin toss is going to be cool for me, as it will be done by Joe Montana, who will be accompanied by 49ers and Raiders legends Super Bowl MVPs Marcus Allen (Los Angeles Raiders, XVIII), Fred Biletnikoff (Oakland Raiders, XI), Jim Plunkett (Oakland Raiders, XV), Jerry Rice (San Francisco 49ers, XXIII) and Steve Young (San Francisco 49ers, XXIX).

I with the PTI crew were broadcasting closer to where I work yesterday as Steve Young appeared on the show. There are alot of concerts and parties throughout the city of San Francisco tonight and tomorrow. One Republic will have a free concert tonight and Alica Keys tomorrow night. Metallica will be performing at AT&T park and the NFL Honors award show will be held near city hall. It's pretty cool hosting the Super Bowl.

solojones, Juliet316 and Rew like this.
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    What's everybody's favorite Super Bowl memory?

21. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008

Mine's from 1992. ;)

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    49ers fans call it "The Drive."

tom and Juliet316 like this.
  23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

Mine too, partly for the game and the fact that New Kids on the Block were playing the half - time show. (I was 12 and Joey was my favorite at the time, okay?)

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  24. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Super Bowl XLII, this is the only time the group of friends I always watch the Super Bowl with were all rooting for the same team. All of us celebrating as the Giants snatched the perfect season away from the Patriots was the most fun I've had watching the Super Bowl.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    XX, Bears vs Pats with Iron Mike and The Refrigerator Perry.

I still remember the tune to the Super Bowl Shuffle.

Juliet316 likes this.