main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think Cam was obligated to say any more than he did at the press conference. He owned that the team did not play well, was he supposed to keep elaborating on it?

And I would like to know if Peyton Manning was called a "boy" online when he was 26.

2. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I've seen a couple sources point out that the reason Cam Newton left the press conference early is that it was in the same room as Denver's (which is something not normally done, as far as I'm aware), and he could actually overhear them talking about him in their own press conferences. So he left out of frustration. I can't say I completely blame him if that's the case.

3. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Romanowski is such a D-bag.

4. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
  5. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    I don't care about the dancing stuff, I think it's adorable when football players celebrate like that.
    What I don't like is when Cam grabbed a sign for the Packers out of a fan's hand after his team beat Green Bay and ripped it apart. That's unnecessary and ridiculous. I could see if he lost and a fan was waving it in his face to do that out of frustration but he won. There's something about that attitude that rubs me the wrong way.

Do people hate Russel Wilson like this? How can he be well liked and black if this is all about race?

Sent from my iHorse

jcgoble3 likes this.
  6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    are you talking about the packers banner that he tore down before the game? or the seahawks twelfth man flag that he grabbed after the game when someone was waving it in his face? i don't know, it's immature stuff, but he's doing this stuff with a smile on his face and having fun with it. it's a game, you know? i'd rather watch someone enjoy themselves even if that means being prone to over-enthusiasm than look at a manning face.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't agree with the banner ripping or flag-grabbing either, and Cam was reprimanded for the banner ripping and either he or the team covered the replacement cost; not sure about the flag grabbing.

Given that there are multiple NFL players who have assaulted people, etc., however, I still think the heat he gets is over the top. Not to mention in-game stuff from other players like face-mask-grabbing.

I do wonder why this picture has gotten less attention than Cam leaving the press conference.

[​IMG]

8. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    The cool thing too is that Cam doesn't give a **** about what anyone says about him, and why should he? He's in the 1% of his field, a job he loves, and gets to laugh all the way to the bank, no matter what. He has a great life. "Darn I just lost the Super Bowl. Excuse me while I buy a Ferrari in cash to ease my pain."

9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    If I can make to only one Rams game at the Coliseum next season, I may just make it against the Panthers.

Rew likes this.
  10. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Heavily Armored Black Male Menaces Old Man!

11. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Russell Wilson is whiter than the Oscars this year

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I like Russell Wilson a lot. But I think he gets less heat because he (at least seems to be) is pretty unassuming. Cam has made noise, mostly good noise but still noise, and has gotten attention. He's been transformative in some ways.

I'm really appreciating Manning right now:

Here is what he had to say about Newton

Jedi Merkurian and Rew like this.
  13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    russell wilson is pretty crazy, but yeah, it's an unassuming kind of crazy. he just thinks that god talks to him and believes in a magic vitamin water that cures concussions.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Magic vitamin water that cures concussions?

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  17. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    So I've gone back to my previous avatar because I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.

:p

18. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    As some people pile on Cam Newton for overblown or outright nonsensical (at best) reasons, here's more on Johnny Manziel:

http://deadspin.com/affidavit-johnny-manziel-restrained-beat-and-threate-1757855165

It's alluded to in the affidavit, but I don't think it's explicitly stated-- Manziel ruptured Crowley's eardrum by physically striking her on the head.

He seems completely out of control, obviously a danger to others and probably to himself as well. He's white though, so that probably helps him out a bit. Just needs some help, you know. Not a thug or anything like some people.

19. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Because the attention was on seeing how badly Cam would take the loss after making so much noise this season with his celebrations. (And for the most part, I don't really care that he celebrates the way he does.) Two years ago, after Richard Sherman got in America's face after winning the NFC Championship game and proclaimed he was the best in the game, everyone went crazy. If the Seahawks had lost in the Super Bowl that year, they would have been all over anything Sherman did that looked like he was a sore loser. That's just how it goes when players draw attention to themselves like that.

I've seen the reports that Cam was overhearing Chris Harris' press conference happening on the other side of the curtain from his, but he's still not going to gain any respect acting the way he did, especially after rolling his eyes at reporters last week because he didn't like the questions.

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    uh but that picture directly relates to "how badly he took the loss". all you're saying is that the media was only ever interested in telling one side of that story, which i think is exactly anakinfan's point.

21. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    Richard Sherman "got in America's face"? He made an insane play that sent his team to the Super Bowl, and the broadcast decided to get in HIS face immediately after. Could you imagine making that play after getting ****-talked by a rival? My face would've melted on national television with sass. Children would've had to look away.

Grimbino, man, Cam Newton (and Sherman for that matter) doesn't want or need the respect of you or any of the reporters who have been riding his spectacularly successful jock since freshman year. If you ain't got haters you ain't poppin'.

And those media day questions are dumb. Marshawn highlighted that awhile ago.

Juliet316 and Point Given like this.
  22. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Actually Manziel has been called a thug for sure in this thread, but I'm guessing you're referring to the media? Manziel needs the Ray Rice treatment for striking his gf. The NFL has got to do something more than commercials during the Super Bowl.

23. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    And the No More org is a joke. Deadspin did a deep dive on it and it's basically about watching Law & Order SVU marathons.

I'm emphatically not kidding.

24. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

I'm actually referring more to someone who made a short but racist post this morning in this thread. http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...ussion-thread.25651033/page-963#post-53238643

25. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm agreeing with that point.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with what he said. I'm just pointing out another example of someone who created controversy after making a big play.

Lloydiel-San, my point isn't that he should have my respect, I'm talking about the public perception. Like it or not, right or wrong, Cam's actions at the press conference don't help his perception and it's just more fodder for those bashing him.