main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. PearsOfKrissto

PearsOfKrissto Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 21, 2015
  2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
  3. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    They have had some better draft picks in the recent past.

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Al Davis.

Back in the day, there were quite a few Raider fans that would say, "We're one big move away from being a great team and that's Al Davis dropping dead."

5. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Tom cheater Brady put out a $200 cook book.

6. Chromide

Jun 20, 2015
    Great. How is he a cheater?

7. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Well, not Brady precisely (though his involvement in DeflateGate is highly suspect), but the Patriots have a history of cheating misinterpreting the rules.

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Long suffering Jet fan here.

Why do we still not have Fitz signed!?!?

9. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    It would be ridiculously naive not to acknowledge that all 32 teams are doing stuff like what the Patriots are doing. From Atlanta pumping in crowd noise to Carolina illegally warming footballs on the sidelines, no one's hands are clean.

Chromide likes this.
  10. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I wasn't aware that it was against NFL rules to have warm balls or to design ones stadium for acoustical preferences.

11. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012

[​IMG]

xblackout, vin and ma_petite like this.
  12. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    I am not talking about stadium design, I am talking about pumping in crowd noise when the other team has the ball and has broken huddle which the Falcons got caught doing, admitted they did, and lost a 4th rounder as a result.

Also, you are not allowed to use artificial heaters to warm the balls on the sidelines. The reason why is because it artificially makes the balls easier to catch, throw, grip and handle. By an amazing coincidence, the reason why someone might let air of a ball would be to make it easier to catch, throw, grip and handle. So what happened to the Panthers, who got caught on live TV heating balls? Well, they got a letter of warning, and not even a particularly sternly worded one at that. No multi-million dollar investigation, no fines, no suspensions, no loss of draft picks, nobody looked at Cam Newton's cell phone, nobody lost their minds, and it all went away within 24 hours.

(Come to think of it, saying "it all went away within 24 hours" implies that it was even a story in the first place, when it really wasn't)

ma_petite likes this.
  13. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Serious question to get you off the "Why did the Panthers get treated differently from the Patriots regarding a cheating thing!!!"

...why the hell did your org greenlight Gronk being on the Madden Cover?!

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Good idea, I've been asking that question for a year and never once received an answer.
    eh, ESPN had an interesting article "proving" the Madden Curse is over. :D

It was actually pretty compelling because 4 of the last 5 guys have had really good seasons.

15. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Yes, really. I mean, don't get me wrong, sometimes people actually *reply* to the question, but they just don't *answer* it (at least not without resorting to misrepresenting the facts of the matter).

17. Chromide

Jun 20, 2015
    It is...... both of those teams got penalized for it. It's not widely known because guess what, no one cared.

And yet, the patriots do next to nothing and everyone makes a big deal about it. Remember the 'headset-gate' crap in Week 1?

18. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    lol. Ya that was so lame.

And just today we have another incident of a team cheating come to light. Turns out the Eagles contacted and discussed offset language (i.e. contract details) with Goff and Wentz prior to trading up to the #2 spot in the draft. That's a pretty big no-no. But it's the Eagles, so no one will care.

Chromide likes this.
  19. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  20. Chromide

Jun 20, 2015
  21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

If it were the Patriots everyone would care. Because everyone's going to care about this. You know why? It's a collective-bargaining violation! The union should pitch a fit.

But it has nothing really to do with "integrity of the game" -- it's not cheating in that sense.

Juliet316 , jcgoble3 and darth_gersh like this.
  22. PearsOfKrissto

PearsOfKrissto Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 21, 2015
    Sorry about the late word in from the resident Ravens Man. So yep, apparently we were practicing rookies with full pads on.
    That's against the CBA as stated above, so we will face recourse. The only other but I'm hearing, is that it was optional, and the rooks chose to go ahead with the pads with knowledge that they didn't have to.

Do I think that it in any way is different than deflating football's during or before a game, or spying on other teams plays? Chromide, I'll let your noggin do the thinking.

P.s. The horribly inconsistent Goodell is what I'm afraid of. If anything, the NFLPA should offer consequences, Baltimore offer back, and come to an agreement. Goodell would likely take the next 6 years 1st rounders and reduced cap space, and a bunch of other bull hockey that wouldn't fit this particular crime.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  24. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Of course it is. One team gained a competitive advantage by participating in workouts at a level which is more advanced than permitted. It is the textbook definition of cheating.

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Do you really think they're going to win extra games in the fall because some rookies had pads on for one practice in the spring?

LloydChristmas likes this.