main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Unchosen (Qui/Obi AU) note from the author 4/9

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by maychorian, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    I'm really very glad that you wrote this exactly how you have. It would have been downright excruciating to read it straight through. I think your instincts served you well and that you didn't sacrifice the story at all. The angst and mush is just mixed so perfectly. You have me wincing in one paragraph then just filled with the sweetest thoughts in the next.

Perfect.

Sorry I was MIA there for a bit. Tis the season.... :)

Probably wont be back before christmas so..... Have a Merry Christmas Laura. Hope you did well on your finals!

--shan

2. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    BrightFeather *offers candy to L'il Obi*

:D All kids like candy.

dianethx glad to see that he also realizes that Julune is not going to be happy about this. LOL on the yelling part.

:) Yelling, stomping, shooting, breaking ugly vases . . . yeah. That's Julune.

lori71 Now that the barrier has been identified, it can be broken down.

Easier said than done, but at least the first step has been taken. Thanks!

PadawanKitara but I will happily take more mush

Coming right up. ;)

Princess_Arulmozhi Force, how much that must have cost him. And yet, he took the final step, seemingly.

It would be nice to say that first step is the hardest, and it some ways it is. But every step is hard, really. Thanks for reading! [:D]

Master_Noi I'm glad Qui-Gon is there as an accepting presence. Without his love, it would probably be devastating for the boy.

Funny, how hard it is to believe that you'll be accepted, and what a shock is to find that it isn't so very hard after all . . .

Ani-maniac I hope that you do well on your finals.

Pretty well, all things considered. Thanks! [:D]

Gkilkenny Dont ever leave Qui-Gon and Julune.

Oh, I don't think he plans to. :)

Katieelessar I look forward to the next when that barrier finally smashes down!

Well, it might not be in the NEXT chapter . . . ;)

Kynstar Good luck on those finals hon!! I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for ya!

Thanks! :D I'm sure it helped.

-red_nite- okay im going to class now... really i am....

[face_laugh] I feel your pain, I really do. Especially when the computer lab is in the same building as my classes, and I keep thinking, "five more minutes, just five more minutes . . ."

Jei-El I loved how Qui-Gon refused to be ashamed of giving Obi-Wan the love he so desprately needed.

[face_love] I liked that bit a lot, too. I think it's really more manly to accept your emotions and deal with them instead of trying to hide them.

Stella_Ripple So, instead of copying out the entire post I'll content myself with: wonderful chapter!

Thank you! [:D] We needed some fluff after the difficulty of the last four chapters.

Jauhzmynn do like Yoda and Qui Gon's interaction. The lil' green dude is genuinly concerned for Obi Wan and wants to help him AND Qui Gon out.

I'm glad! I wasn't sure how it was going to work out with those two, but they seem to be getting along fine.

PadawanKaterina Please more soon.

I'll try. :)

LilQui-Gon I forgot how sad this story was!

::eek:ffers several tissues:: Aw, I'm sorry. It will get better soon. I think.

Bastet I hope they can get Obi to connect with the Force soon, and then he and Qui can reconnect their bond, and then Obi will be able to know for sure just how Qui feels about him.

That would be the best way, definitely. But for now Qui-Gon has to rely on other ways of showing his love.

Just_Jill And, hey. Qui-Gon happens to have some friends of his in town. It shouldn't be hard to send them off on a hunt or something.... That could be FUN.

[face_laugh] It's occured to me. Qui-Gon's friends will be coming back into the story at some point, that's for sure.

obi-wanfan123 He already knows so much more about the world in a terrible way..

:( Sadly, yeah. He's learned too much about the cruelty of sentient beings, the darkest of the dark.

LuvEwan This continues to be a superb character study that draws me into an entire world created by your incredible imagination and deft touch with emotions.

Character study? Oh, thanks so much! I'm glad you see that way. It really is all about the characters.

duma I can't wait for Julene to come back - I've

3. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Chapter 42: Things Not Yet Learned

Qui-Gon was roused from a light doze by the faint sense that he was being watched. The feeling was not unpleasant, neither sharp nor hostile. It was a gentle regard, curious and intent, with a touch of wonder.

He let his eyes flutter open, and found Obi-Wan laying there with his arms folded on the big man?s chest, pointed chin resting on his forearms as he stared down into his father?s face. The boy blinked slowly, his face solemn, still bearing the traces of spent tears and the marks of deep weariness, but no longer constricted in an agony of grief that denied words, denied release. He did not look away when he noticed the man looking back at him, and Qui-Gon smiled, greatly pleased by this small sign of returning confidence.

?Good afternoon, Obi-Wan,? he said softly. ?I love you. How are you feeling??

The boy managed a tiny shrug, even as awkward as it was in his current position, his shoulder blades shifting slightly under Qui-Gon?s arm still draped loosely over him. ?I?m all right, I guess. Just . . . thinking.?

?Care to share??

Obi-Wan pulled in a breath, his back again shifting under Qui-Gon?s arm, then lowered his head to rest his cheek over the man?s heart. For a time he was silent, apparently listening, though it took Qui-Gon a long moment to realize that it was his own heartbeat that held the boy?s rapt attention. He said nothing, just wrapped his arm more securely around his youngster, letting his fingers wander into the soft, red-gold mop again. He would not push Obi-Wan to talk, not now. Enough demands had been made for one day. Now was the time to rest, to recuperate and reconnect, remind the child that he was safe here and had nothing to fear.

Eventually Obi-Wan spoke, though, his voice soft and far-away.

?I dreamed of this.?

?Did you?? Qui-Gon pressed the boy a little closer, continuing to stroke his hair.

?Mm-hmm.? Obi-Wan rolled his face upward to look at Qui-Gon, large blue-green eyes blinking dreamily in his too-pale, too-hollow face. ?Sometimes it was all I could do, the only thing that helped, when things got very bad. To dream. I dreamed a lot.?

Qui-Gon was a bit surprised to realize that he could still ache just a little more. He?d thought that he must have reached the limit long ago, but now he learned again that that was not so. ?Do you mean you dreamed awake, little one??

?Yes. I dreamed awake.? Obi-Wan shifted slightly, but only to press himself more fully against the man?s side, half-leaning on the back of the couch. ?Whenever I could, I remembered the good things, the great kindness you and Mama Julune showed to me. Thank you for giving me so many good memories. They helped a lot.?

?I?m glad, Obi-Wan. Very glad. I wish I could have given you more.? I wish you never needed them so badly.

?It was enough,? the boy assured him softly. His voice still seemed detached, but quite serious. ?Sometimes I wasn?t sure if certain things had truly happened or if I just made them up, but both helped me. Still do, sometimes.? He buried his nose in Qui-Gon?s tunic, muffling his words slightly, though the man still understood each syllable with a terrible, pin-point clarity. ?A lot of times. I needed this. Maybe I still do.?

Qui-Gon wrapped his other arm around his little one, rubbing his back gently. ?Anytime you need this, I?ll be here. You don?t even have to say a word. Just come.?

?I will,? Obi-Wan promised.

It seemed he had nothing else to say, then. They just rested there in silence, enjoying the sweetness and warmth of the afternoon.

Just about when Qui-Gon realized that it was almost time for Julune to come home, Obi-Wan suddenly lifted his head, three little wrinkles appearing between his eyebrows.

?Where is Master Yoda?? he asked, young voice urgent, worried.

Qui-Gon blinked, then glanced around the common room, realizing that he hadn?t seen the small Jedi for quite some time. ?I don?t know, sweetheart. I must have dozed off for a bit, and didn?t see where he went.? Though he didn?t understan

4. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Beautiful, just lovely [face_love]
    So glad that the rock is where it belongs! And loved how you set up Obi's real concern as to Yoda going missing LOL Completely unexpected and just what was needed! It shows our obi is still there, under all that pain! Yay for getting him on the road to recovery and with such a wonderful guide too! :) Great job on getting through Qui-Gon's emotions- so very poignant!

As always a superb job! =D=

5. BrightFeather

BrightFeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2005
    Awwwwwww. What a lovely little chapter. I'd like another, please?

6. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Wonderful as usual my Padawan! [face_love] Beautiful mush! [:D]

Hope your finals went well! I've told you before, but I'll tell you again - thanks so much for sharing this tale! It brings warm fuzzies and life to the characters! Excellent job!! =D=

Loved the bit with the riverstone. Hopefully Obi will truly realize he will never be alone again!

7. -red_nite-

-red_nite- Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2005
    WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE YOU BROUGHT IN THE ROCK!!!
    you know its a fact everyone loves rocks.. i know i do..
    as usually beautifully written..

and happy thoughts this semester is near its evil end!!!

[face_monkey] MONKEY!!!... dont ask... just be happy in the monkey

8. Katieelessar

Katieelessar Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2005
    Awwww, just beautiful. The riverstone was such an unexpected delight. I'm so happy that Obi-Wan finally has it.[face_love]
    Plenty of mush, mush, mush. I love it as always! (except for Yoda's stew. Ewww.;) )
    I'm glad to see Obi-Wan finally healing back more into his old self.
    Another chapter, please? Pretty please?[face_love]

9. kenobiwanobi

kenobiwanobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    WONDERFUL AS ALWAYS!=D=

10. Kadi

Kadi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2004
    Awww. [face_love] The Qui/Obi moments are great. And Obi's horror at Yoda alone in the kitchen. LOL. [face_laugh]

I love this story. Can we count on another post soon? [face_praying]

11. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    "He wanted to brush all of these fears away with wise words, but didn?t know what to say. Instead they just sat there, the one struggling to breathe, the other struggling to find words."

How lovely a sentence..this is a wonderful story! I look forward to each installment with bated breath. You write so well.

Bravo.

12. PadawanKaterina

PadawanKaterina Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 1, 2005
    ?Where is Master Yoda?? He twisted his fingers in Qui-Gon?s tunic and pulled sharply, emphasizing his concern. ?Well, is he in the kitchen? Don?t let him muck about in the kitchen! We cannot have him cooking!?

[face_laugh] Is Qui-Gon gonna get "Stew Surprise"? :p

It's the rock! [:D] *basks in the glow of the One Rock*

13. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    That was incredibly, deeply beautiful, may. I love that as soon as Obi-Wan was awake, Qui-Gon was already assuring him that he loved him. [face_love] The relationship you've created between them is so right. Even when Qui-Gon doesn't know quite how to handle the tough emotional situations, he goes on instinct, and it heals Obi-Wan a little more. I hope that Obi-Wan can overcome his uneasiness around Julune soon, for both their sakes. :(

Wonderful post, of course! =D=

edit: Reading it again, I have to add that this part

Try as he might, Qui-Gon could not prevent another chuckle from rumbling through his abdomen, shaking the slight body that rested atop him. ?My dear child. For someone with such an enormous appetite, you certainly have a very narrow palate.?

The wrinkles on the boy?s forehead only deepened.

Qui-Gon continued to grin up at him. ?Would you disagree??

?Papa, I don?t even know what that means!?

Laughing again, Qui-Gon pressed the boy tightly to him, reveling in the fact that he was allowed to do so, that Obi-Wan didn?t stiffen or pull away. And he was suddenly glad?fiercely, fiercely glad. Glad that Obi-Wan didn?t know what that meant, that there were still words he didn?t understand, that there were some things he didn?t know, hadn?t yet learned. That he was still a child. That Qui-Gon and Julune still had time to teach him about being young, about family, about belonging.

About love unconditional and unchanging.

was just perfect. [face_love]

14. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Beautiful update, maychorian! [face_love]

Loved Obi wondering where Master Yoda was. ?Well, is he in the kitchen? Don?t let him muck about in the kitchen! We cannot have him cooking!? [face_laugh]

?My dear child. For someone with such an enormous appetite, you certainly have a very narrow palate.?

The wrinkles on the boy?s forehead only deepened.

Qui-Gon continued to grin up at him. ?Would you disagree??

?Papa, I don?t even know what that means!?
    [face_laugh]

But it was so sad when Obi was saying he was afraid of his Mama, and didn't want to be. :_|

?I don?t want it. I don?t want it. How can I get rid of it? I don?t know how?I want to know!? :( Oh, poor Obi-Wan!

But I loved that Qui finally got his chance to give Obi the rock. Awww, I love that rock. [face_love]

The youngster gave him a quizzical look, then regarded the river stone again, thoughtfully. ?It feels . . . it feels warm. It feels . . . safe. Home.? He looked up swiftly, flashing a quick, brilliant smile, true and bright, as he released a happy sigh. ?It feels like . . . you. As long I have this stone, I?ll know that you are with me.? [face_love] I'm so glad that Obi will never have to feel alone again. Too bad he didn't have the rock while he was a slave. :(

?That?s right, son. You?ll never be alone. Never.?

Someday I hope you know that truly.
    Me too!

Thanks so much for the wonderful update, it made my day! Looking forward to more! [face_praying]

15. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Yay. Very cool. I wonder what Yoda's cooking up in the kitchen Will Julene have a cow if he makes a mess? I can almost hear it now.

"What did you DO to my kitchen!" hheheehe.

Excellant post.

16. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    *Wipes eyes with tissue* That was so beautiful! You brought out the rock. [face_love] I hope things will get better for Obi. My heart is already in pieces. :_|

17. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    Don?t let him muck about in the kitchen! We cannot have him cooking!?

?I take it that you?ve . . . ahem . . .? He cleared his throat, fighting away a squeak. ?. . . you?ve tasted the results of Master Yoda?s culinary expertise before??

The boy nodded with grave solemnity.

?Is it that bad, my little one??

Obi-Wan?s brow furrowed. ?Maybe not bad . . . I don?t know how to explain it. It?s . . . it?s weird. Really weird. I don?t know what he puts in that stuff, but I don?t think he gets it at the regular markets.?

That is just too funny, May! [face_laugh]

None for me either, thanks...I'll pass! [face_sick]

Quick steps brought him back to the couch, and he sat beside his shivering son and placed the warm rock in his chilly palm. ?I found this in the River of Light on my home planet. For years I carried it in my breast pocket, over my heart. It reminded of my home, my family. When Julune and I married I thought about giving it to her as a token, but it didn?t feel right. She bears a ring, instead, with a small, perfect green gem. And now I see why this was not meant for her. It is yours. It should have been yours three months ago, but here it is now.?

I love how you brought the river stone in! Obi needs to have it, even in AU! :)

Now I've had a heaping of good warm mush, and can go on with my day! ;)

Merry Christmas!

Star

18. lori71

lori71 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    but I don?t think he gets it at the regular markets [face_laugh]

My youngest sister accuses me of the same thing. Some people just don't appreciate a culinary masterpiece when they taste it! :p

Very sweet!

Lori

19. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was so sweet. I just loved that Obi-Wan got the rock. Hopefully, some day he's realize that it's Force sensitive. But for now, it's his father's and now it's his. How wonderful.

Loved that he was wondering where Yoda was and how horrified that he might be cooking. LOL. I think Jinn won't like the dish either. Where is Yoda, anyway?

And how terrible for him that he's still afraid of his mama. It will be a while, I think. He's been conditioned and he'll have to break that in order to move on.

Great job with this. Is Julune coming home soon?

20. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    That was perfect mush... I mean the happy mushy mush, not master yoda's food

21. Shadowolf

Shadowolf Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    May, just caught back up with the story and it's even more powerful reading it straight through. I'm so glad Obi-Wan's back with the Jinns where he belongs! They have a lot of work cut out for them, but I know they'll succeed. And if Andros Martin does show back up I hope Julune gets the chance to beat him to a pulp! She almost took his head off when he showed up the first time, just think what she'd do if he came back! *hee hee*[face_devil]

Looking forward to more. :)

22. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

That was beautiful
    Obi-wan needs so much love and Qui-Gon is giving it to him
    and that wonderful rock always there waiting to impress it's magic and mystical way bringing Obi-wan back into the land of happiness.
    Now he just has to get over the barrier of getting to love his Mama unconditionally

Lovely[:D] [face_love]

23. Just_Jill

Just_Jill Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Heheh.

Ah, laughter, the best medicine. Obi-Wan may not know it, but it's probably exactly what he needed. And I KNOW Qui-Gon did!

I hope that stone helps Obi-Wan to touch the Force again.

Anyway, I'm... well, uncollected is the nicest thing I can think of. Great chapter - I loved it - and I can't wait for Julune and Yoda to meet. Heh.

Just Jill

24. Yodan

Yodan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2005
    Wonderful may! =D=

Sorry I missed an update but finals were happening... I'm sure you can relate! :p

25. duma

duma Jedi Master

Oct 2, 2005
    =D= Another wonderful chapter May!!

I loved that Qui gave Obi the river stone. I love that you weave parts of the smaller details of the "real" SW universe into your story - even though its AU. =D=

duma

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.