Before The Unchosen (Qui/Obi AU) note from the author 4/9

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by maychorian, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Master_Noi Jedi Master

star 4
    Thank you for the wonderful image of Julune with a spade leveled at Yoda. That one gave me a lot of good laughs. Don't mess with Mama Bear!
  2. DarthMousche Jedi Master

star 3
    This was a wonderful post, and I smiled through the whole thing. I'd been wondering what Julune's reaction to Yoda would be, and she didn't disappoint. :D Things seem to be looking up overall - except for the people who have to eat Yoda's soup that is. :p
  3. Star_Drifter Jedi Knight

star 3
    Obi-Wan glanced up at him, then sighed heavily and looked at the Jedi calmly standing on their counter. ?Are you making soup, Master Yoda?? he asked respectfully.

The small Master nodded his head once in easy agreement. ?For the first course, it is.?

The boy sighed again, even more deeply and dolefully, and looked up at Qui-Gon with the largest, saddest eyes the man had ever seen.

:eek: I'm a Sith, May, but even I couldn't be that cruel to poor little Obi-Wan!

I think I'd better steal him away and take over the cooking for him! ;)

Star

4. shanobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Funny, sweet and heart-warming that post was [face_love]

Loved it all, but especially the last few paragraphs.

I hope Yoda surprises Obi-Wan and the soup is absolutely delicious :)

Julune and Yoda were wonderful together.

--shan
  5. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    eating master yoda's cooking- a fate worse than torture!
  6. hyperspace_police Force Ghost

star 4
    Catching up on your story.

Or at least remembering to post that I'm keeping up....

The boy sighed again, even more deeply and dolefully, and looked up at Qui-Gon with the largest, saddest eyes the man had ever seen.

My eight year old, who should be in bed, but instead is up reading with me.....
    read that line and said to me

"Mom, yoda cooks like nana...I never knew that."

Sad really, but true. When I was in high school, my friends used to know I had to get off the phone for dinner because the smoke alarm was going off....

But back to the point...

Great Update

Keep up the good work

7. princess_of_naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    Obi-Wan glanced up at him, then sighed heavily and looked at the Jedi calmly standing on their counter. ?Are you making soup, Master Yoda?? he asked respectfully.

The small Master nodded his head once in easy agreement. ?For the first course, it is.?

Poor boy. :p

I just finished reading all of this story. Really great story you have here. I'd love a PM when you update.
  8. maychorian Jedi Master

star 4
    BrightFeather RUN! Yoda's COOKING!

:D Run far, run fast!

nd_jedi I can just see Yoda saying that - it just reminds me of the first time he meets Luke in ESB. Loved that scene .

I was pretty tickled with that myself. :p Thanks!

Jauhzmynn I like how Julune is talking friendly with Mr. Yoda. Good show lil' green dude, reach her with what's familar. Plants.

:) He's smarter than he looks.

Gkilkenny Nice to see them happy although Obi needs
    to smile a bit

Very true. We'll be working on that soon! :)

dianethx Loved that Julune was willing to do whatever it took to protect Obi-Wan.

[face_love] I adore writing her, sometimes. No, a lot of times.

Kynstar LOL! I'm surprised she didn't think he was some garden gnome!

Doesn't everyone want a Yoda gnome for their garden? ;)

MegumiFuu Actually, I loved all the interaction between Yoda and Julune. I'm glad that there will be a Jedi that she can trust, for Obi-Wan's sake.

I enjoyed it, too. :D I'm glad she took to him so nicely.

Just_Jill even Obi-Wan doesn't seem to have the blackness and despair hanging around him that's been there for the last few posts.

:) I'm glad to give him some lighter moments.

Your sister doesn't live in Denver, does she? We had TWO bus accidents last week (or before, I don't remember),

Nope, we're in Indiana. But two bus accidents? Baaad. My grandpa is a bus driver, and I know how difficult it is.

PadawanKaterina I don't even want to know what the other courses are.

[face_laugh] I decided to spare them, this time. But yeah, that certainly sent a chill down Obi's back.

VaderLVR64 I was so sleepy, but this certainly brightened my day and woke me up!

Glad to be of service, o wonderful moddess!

LuvEwan How about Obi-Wan Kenobi-Graffon-Jinn?

:D As if the poor boy doesn't have enough problems!

Ara-gon

Yay, delurker! ::happy dance::

Leave it to Yoda to charm and disarm her so easily! The fact that she found him weeding her garden probably helped tremendously.

Yep. [face_love] Now she knows that not all Jedi are arrogant and know-it-all.

-red_nite- AWWWWWWWWWW poor obi too much soup for that kid....

Hehehe! He definitely wants more substantial food.

kenobiwanobi * Jumps up and down in delight,then stumbles and struggles to regain balance *

[face_laugh] Glad you enjoyed it!

Bastet Poor Obi-Wan, he's acting like Yoda's cooking is the end of the world!

[face_laugh] He's entitled to be a little melodramatic if he wants. ;)

Sorry I got a little desperate there, I just really love this story, I couldn't help myself.

Oh, that's okay. I definitely took longer than usual with that one. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Ani-maniac Yoda is cooking... ... ...

It is a horror even the Sith cannot compare to.

:p You sound like Obi-Wan!

Jedi_Tigris Wonderful job! Glad to see Obi healing slowly.

They're getting there, slowly but surely. [face_love] Thanks!

Lady_Snow_Kaguya oh..Yoda's cooking. I think I'd rather kiss a Wookie

[face_laugh] Maybe Julune will make it better . . .

ari_stormset Man, Yoda's cooking must really suck to inspire such woe.

:D Poor Obi. The galaxy just can't seem to give him a break.

Master_Noi Thank you for the wonderful image of Julune with a spade leveled at Yoda. That one gave me a lot of good laughs. Don't mess with Mama Bear!

:) I love that image, too. It's so quintessentially Julune.

DarthMousche I'd been wondering what Julune's reaction to Yoda would be, and she didn't disappoint.

Oh good! I knew anticipation was high, and I didn't want to let my faithful
  9. maychorian Jedi Master

star 4
    Chapter 44: Prove It to Me

Qui-Gon actually enjoyed the soup. It was different from anything else he?d ever eaten in all of his varied experience, and he liked trying new things. Yoda had obviously used some spices that Qui-Gon had never encountered before (Did the little Jedi Master carry herbs around with him wherever he went? First the cool-brewed tea, now this!), but he found it quite tasty. Most of the flavors were familiar, the vegetables freshly harvested from their own garden, the meat from the market in downtown Hilara City.

Julune and Yoda ate their meal with apparent relish, seeming very satisfied with their collaborative efforts. As for Obi-Wan . . . well, he ate it. Not enthusiastically, but apparently without pain. It was not strange that he said nothing for the entire meal, even while Yoda chatted kindly about the Temple, giving news of the boy?s old friends and teachers. A few days ago this would have disconcerted Qui-Gon, but by now he was almost used to this new, silent Obi-Wan.

Yet that somehow made it all the worse.

After the meal Qui-Gon took care to make sure that Obi-Wan would be all right if his parents went into another room for a time, leaving the Jedi and the boy to clean up. Obi-Wan?s hand clenched hard over the pocket where Qui-Gon knew he had placed the river stone, and his forehead wrinkled in that new, familiar worry, but he nodded. It was a sign of progress, the first time the youngster had agreed to even a short separation from his papa. But it pained Qui-Gon almost as much as it pained his boy, and he promised to make it short.

Julune was confused, but followed Qui-Gon?s tug on her elbow willingly. And then he told her, speaking rapidly when he could, pausing to choke down his emotions when he could not. She sat on the corner of the bed in their master chamber, very still, watching him pace furiously as he talked. He saw her fists clench, tighter and tighter, the knuckles blanching, watched her eyes grow harder and brighter, face paling as two whitish-red spots stood against her cheeks.

?They dared,? she hissed when he paused for a moment to contain himself, her voice a raw tremor of fury. ?They dared to do that to an innocent boy, to my innocent boy . . .?

He nodded shortly. ?Yes. They dared. And oh, Julune, you haven?t even heard the worst of it . . .?

By the end of the story she was weeping, shaking, hard little fists pressed against her mouth to restrain her rage. Qui-Gon sat on the bed beside her and pulled her into his arms, rubbing her rigid back, willing some of his hard-fought calm to transfer over to his wife. She was volcanic, longing to erupt, holding herself back only because there was nothing here capable of absorbing so powerful an outburst.

?They used him,? she half-whispered, half-wailed into his ear. ?Like a toy, they used him, made him do things, made him believe things about himself that are not true. Oh, Qui-Gon, Qui-Gon, they hurt him so badly! Tell me where they are, so I can kill them.?

?I don?t know, darling. Obi-Wan doesn?t know. If I knew, I?d go with you. You know that.?

She nodded stiffly against his shoulder, but still her enraged shaking did not ease. ?No wonder. No wonder he?s afraid. I would probably be catatonic.?

Qui-Gon just shook his head in wonder. ?Really, he?s handling it all extraordinarily well. Thirteen, and so very brave and strong. But he needs us, needs us badly. Even if we knew where to go, we couldn?t, not now. We cannot fail him.?

?We won?t.? Julune?s voice was a proclamation, channeling all of her intense feeling, her urgent to need to do something, into those two words. She sat back to look into his eyes, reaching out to grab his shoulders, sharp fingers digging into his flesh. ?And do you realize, Qui-Gon? He chose us. When he escaped, he could have gone to the galactic authorities, or the Jedi, or anywhere. But he came here. He needed his papa and his mama, and he knew it.?

Qui-Gon hesitated, then nodded slowly, warmed by the thought. It was nice to be wanted
  10. adawn Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've been following this fic both over at fanfiction.net and then here when I discovered the boards and posted my own fic, and I can honestly and unabashedly say that this is my most favourite fanfic ever. And I have read a lot of fic! I want to thank you for writing this, it's truly a heartwarming, beautiful fic.

And to confess how much I have enjoyed it (and Candles against the Sea), I post a fic on these boards a few weeks back, The Weight of Words, which you so kindly reviewed. That fic was inspired by this story and the wonderful relationship you have built for Qui and Obi.

Truly great story telling.
  11. LilQui-Gon Jedi Knight

star 2
    :_| :_| :_| Life isn't fair! Why do I have to wait for the next chapter longer? :_|
  12. Bastet Jedi Master

star 4
    Aawwwwwww!! [face_love] What a wonderful, warm-fuzzy inducing update!

First of all, I loved Julune's reaction to what Qui-Gon told her about what Obi-Wan went through-

?They used him,? she half-whispered, half-wailed into his ear. ?Like a toy, they used him, made him do things, made him believe things about himself that are not true. Oh, Qui-Gon, Qui-Gon, they hurt him so badly! Tell me where they are, so I can kill them.? [face_devil] I hope she gets her chance!

And I'm sooo glad that Obi-Wan is finally beginning to believe that what happened to him wasn't his fault! [face_love] But I'm sad that he's also learning that life isn't fair. :( Always a hard lesson to learn. :(

And he began to hope that perhaps he had finally succeeded in proving it to this dear boy. Not through logic or philosophy or any of the most reasonable arguments that existed, but through the youngster?s tender heart, his love for an absent friend. Qui-Gon might have known it would be so. [face_love] Awwwww! That just sums it all up so beautifully. That's our sweet, loving Obi-Wan. [face_love]

It's so good to see Obi finally making some real progress in his healing. Now he just needs to gets over his fear of his Mama, reconnect to the Force, and reestablish his bond with his Papa. And then they need to take care of those kidnappers! Yep, this story has a ways to go yet. :D

Can't wait for more! :D
  13. duma Jedi Padawan

I can't believe that I missed an update - Guess it means I get two in one day [face_laugh]

LOL - I Love Julene and Yoda bonding over the herbs in the garden.

?You?re that . . . that little Jedi Qui-Gon talked to over the comm. I wasn?t paying much attention at the time. I can?t remember your name. Have you come for Obi-Wan?? She frowned prodigiously, and raised the spade again. ?You can?t have him. He belongs here, with us, where he has a chance to be happy.?

I'm glad that Julene is back- I missed her. Any shes ready to fight Yoda for Obi. Mama fighting for her baby. Julene and Qui are such wonderful parents.

And he dared to believe that perhaps he had finally succeeded in proving it to this dear boy. Not through logic or philosophy or any of the most reasonable arguments that existed, but through the youngster?s tender heart, his love for an absent friend. Qui-Gon might have known it would be so

Yeah - another step on the path to healing. Obi deserves some peace and happiness. Hopefully he will stop blaiming himself now.

Can't wait for the next update.

duma
  14. MegumiFuu Jedi Knight

star 1
    Another fanfiction.net reader has found their way over here...

Oh my poor Obi-Wan! He always seems willing to take the weight of the world upon his shoulders, even at such a young age. I'm so glad that Qui-Gon was able to find a way to help Obi-Wan to begin to see that none of what happened was his fault at all. I'm also happy to see that Obi-Wan is becoming less reserved around Julune; I can't wait to see what happens when he's able to hug her again (I'll probably burst out crying)!

What a lovely fic! It makes me want to go and give everyone hugs [:D]
  15. Master_Noi Jedi Master

star 4
    How horrible to think of all that happening to Bant. Definitely a wake up call for Obi-Wan ... I hope.
  16. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4

Qui-Gon explained it so well to Obi-wan.[:D]

To use his friend to get a point across was perfect.

But now I must admit "Life isn't Fair" the post is over
    and now we have to wait
    Till the next post to find out if it made
    a difference "I'll be waiting":D
  17. dianethx Force Ghost

star 6
    This was quite wonderful. I loved that Julune was so outraged but she kept from showing it to Obi-Wan. I loved that they both recognized that Obi was still afraid of her and yet was brave enough to let her close. It will indeed take a long time. Loved that Qui liked Yoda's soup! And I'm quite happy with how you explained to Obi how life isn't fair and that it wasn't his fault. Bravo.
  18. shanobi Jedi Master

star 4
    So incredibly sweet. I loved the part where Obi didn't fall truly asleep until Julune settled into bed on the other side of him.

And Qui...dear sweet Qui. It's very common to find fics that have me loving him at one moment then wanting to smack him the next. Often he's used as an angst tool, one that works very well and one that i'm guilty of using as well. What I like about him in this fic is his consistency - his pure loving devotion to our innocent little Obi-Wan. He's never wavered. We know, from what you've already shown us, that he'll never fail this precious child. And soon, i'm confident that Obi will learn this as well.

I can't wait until he lets mama Julune in as well and she gets that embrace :)

--shan
  19. -red_nite- Jedi Knight

star 1
    to use bant against him like that... ohhhh sooooo harsh...
    beautiful chapter.. difinately worth the wait and we are soooo happy to see you back again!!!
  20. Katieelessar Jedi Knight

star 2
  21. Stella_Ripple Jedi Knight

star 3
    :oops: I forgot to reply to the last post!
    And what a lovely post 'twas- I love Julune, she's so tangible somehow! Imagine if she had hit Yoda...:D but her fierce defence of her son is so great, and so glad that there was more of that in this post too!
    Wow, what a lesson! But what a great teacher- Papa Qui is a natural! [face_love] Can this be -hopehopehope- that we're another barrier down?!

Wonderful work =D=
  22. Fluff-Slayer Jedi Knight

star 2
    Clever Qui-Gon, relating the issue that way. :_|

This fic is killing me, may. It's just that wonderful.

I really loved that portion. A comical, yet believable image--Yoda, protecting the house and the family inside, when he has to stand on the counter to stir soup. [face_laugh]

Wow.

Beautiful update. Again.
  23. Jauhzmynn Jedi Master

star 4
    Amazing post. It seems Qui-Gon is getting through and maybe in a small way Yoda helped by letting some calm be around so Obi can focus.
    I liked how Qui Gon used bant to help little Obi wan understand. it made him look outside himself and Bam!. Realization hit home. Hopefully it hit enough so healing can truly commence.
  24. Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Knight

star 1
    No youngster wanted to believe that terrible truth, and learning it was like falling unprepared from a great height to an unyielding surface. It was a breaking experience, harsh and traumatic.

Perfect! So very true, this is exactly how I remember feeling. Excellent.

And Julune [face_laugh] I love that lady XD

+ thanks for cementing that Yoda rocks
  25. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ohhh well done!! =D= Loved how Qui used Bant as an example to get Obi to see that it isn't his fault. Well played out :D
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.