main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Unchosen (Qui/Obi AU) note from the author 4/9

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by maychorian, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawanKaterina

PadawanKaterina Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 1, 2005
    Awe!!! I love the Bant analogy. :_|

Qui-Gon is so good a putting things in a way that Obi can understand. [face_love] It's obvious to anyone who's watched/read about them. They're such a pair.

2. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Obi-Wan seems to have begun to understand why this wasn't his fault! :)

What a wonderful way to teach him, but using Bant as an example.

I look forward to the next part. :)

Ani-maniac

3. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    [face_love] Awww, Obi is finally beginning to understand that life isn't fair, that it wasn't his fault. :( A hard lesson to learn. I love that Qui finally found a way to get through to Obi, and it was by making him look at an example if Bant was hurt.

I love Julune! She and Qui are wonderful parents for Obi, just the steady loving presence he needs. Love the image of Yoda protecting the home too. :)

4. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    perfect use of "kid logic"

5. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    May I don't know how this story could get any better. That last post was just beautiful.

:_| :_| :_|

6. BrightFeather

BrightFeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2005
    =D= I can't believe I overlooked this update. Good job, and more soon, please.

Bright

7. DarthMousche

DarthMousche Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    So the soup wasn't that bad, eh? :p

That post is just lovely. Julune is a smart one not to her show anger in front of Obi-Wan, and it's nice to see the progress he has made in even trying to tolerate her closeness.

It's sad that the only way Qui-Gon to get Obi-Wan to understand that he's not to blame is to hurt him with images of his friend going through a similar experience. Painful but necessary and effective (we hope).

=D=

8. Lindoriel

Lindoriel Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2005
    A friend of mine recently introduced me to this story, and I've been frantically trying to catch up.
    I agree with Julune in this last chapter,"Tell me where they are, so I can kill them!" Can I come, too? *cracks knuckles and polishes sword* :mad:
    I was calling Andros Martin all sorts of nasty names. I have been reading Larry Niven's Man-Kzin Wars books, so most of the insults were Kzinti in nature, because Kzin has so many expressive insults, like the one I used most, "You worthless STHONDAT!!!"

9. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Sweet update.

I would stick the usual keep up the good work here but, it would be silly.
    As this is a wonderful story by a wonderful writer.

But, goanna say it again...Keep up the great work.

Thank goodness Obi has finally forgiven himself.

:D :D [face_cowboy] :D :D

10. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    gosh it's been eons since i've replied in here!

delurking now to say [:D]!

11. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    The boy clung to his father, still shaking and weeping. But, finally, he seemed to understand. His voice came small and rough, weakly daring to believe. ?It w-wasn?t her fault. It w-wasn?t . . . it wasn?t my fault??

?No, sweetheart.? Qui-Gon pressed a kiss to that beloved, wrinkled little forehead, and then another one. ?It wasn?t your fault. None of it was your fault.?

And he began to hope that perhaps he had finally succeeded in proving it to this dear boy. Not through logic or philosophy or any of the most reasonable arguments that existed, but through the youngster?s tender heart, his love for an absent friend. Qui-Gon might have known it would be so.

And, that's why we love him so much! [:D]

Great update! :D

There is hope for Obi-Wan to heal from what he has been through, and Yoda's cooking didn't kill anyone! Who could ask for more! ;)

Star

12. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    I know saying I love this story gets repetitive - but - I love this story.

13. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Apt descriptions of Julune's much-justified anger and Yoda's protective meditation. You say so much with so little!

It's lovely to see Obi-Qui interaction without all the possession-is-evil silliness.

Edit: Do you do PMs?

14. Just_Jill

Just_Jill Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Ah...

I tried to write a review of this last chapter on ff.net, but I can't remember if I ever went back and did so.

Lovely, well written chapter, and I really hope Qui-Gon got through to him.

Just Jill

15. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    The boy clung to his father, still shaking and weeping. But, finally, he seemed to understand. His voice came small and rough, weakly daring to believe. ?It w-wasn?t her fault. It w-wasn?t . . . it wasn?t my fault??

?No, sweetheart.? Qui-Gon pressed a kiss to that beloved, wrinkled little forehead, and then another one. ?It wasn?t your fault. None of it was your fault.?

And he began to hope that perhaps he had finally succeeded in proving it to this dear boy. Not through logic or philosophy or any of the most reasonable arguments that existed, but through the youngster?s tender heart, his love for an absent friend. Qui-Gon might have known it would be so.

There was something deeply poignant about this post. I don't know how to put it into words, but I think this chapter has a certain grace to it that transcends Star Wars. Very touching and very, very beautiful.

Congratulations, may. =D=

16. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Congratulations, May. Your work is truly one of the most beautiful I've read. [face_love]

17. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    adawn That fic was inspired by this story and the wonderful relationship you have built for Qui and Obi.

Oh, wow. Thank you! There is nothing so flattering as inspiring another writer. [face_blush] And that was a lovely vig, too! I'm glad I could help, even in the smallest way. And welcome to the thread! ::happy dance::

LilQui-Gon Life isn't fair! Why do I have to wait for the next chapter longer?

[face_blush] That's a good question. I had every intention of writing this chapter three weeks ago. But, well, things happen . . .

Bastet Now he just needs to gets over his fear of his Mama, reconnect to the Force, and reestablish his bond with his Papa. And then they need to take care of those kidnappers! Yep, this story has a ways to go yet.

You summed it up very nicely. :p Yep, I have quite a long way to go yet!

duma I'm glad that Julene is back- I missed her. Any shes ready to fight Yoda for Obi. Mama fighting for her baby.

I truly enjoy writing Julune. She's a fun, real character, and she gets to channel all of my protective instincts.

MegumiFuu What a lovely fic! It makes me want to go and give everyone hugs

Aw, I'm so happy to inspire such loveliness! The world could use more hugs. [face_hug] And welcome to the site! ::happy dance::

Master_Noi How horrible to think of all that happening to Bant. Definitely a wake up call for Obi-Wan ... I hope.

I hope so, yeah. It was about the only thing that worked for me in my own counseling sessions--to visualize someone I loved going through something similar to what had happened to me. Only then was I able to place the blame where it belonged.

Gkilkenny Qui-Gon explained it so well to Obi-wan. hugs

To use his friend to get a point across was perfect.

Qui-Gon is such a good teacher. [face_love]

dianethx I loved that they both recognized that Obi was still afraid of her and yet was brave enough to let her close. It will indeed take a long time.

It wouldn't take as long if I didn't have a month between posts! :p Hopefully things will work out soon. Julune wants to hug her son.

shanobi I loved the part where Obi didn't fall truly asleep until Julune settled into bed on the other side of him.

[face_love] I really love that part, too. It proves that the true Obi-Wan is there, beneath all that's been forced on him.

What I like about him in this fic is his consistency - his pure loving devotion to our innocent little Obi-Wan. He's never wavered. We know, from what you've already shown us, that he'll never fail this precious child.

That's my Qui-Gon. :) It's important for kids in Obi's situation to have such unwavering support. I'm delighted to be able to give it to him.

-red_nite- to use bant against him like that... ohhhh sooooo harsh...

I guess it was, a bit. But necessary, I think. So much of this is a mind game.

Katieelessar

Thanks!

Stella_Ripple I love Julune, she's so tangible somehow! Imagine if she had hit Yoda...:D

[face_laugh] Hopefully he would have understood what motivated her. But yeah, I really enjoy writing this fierce, loving woman. Her character comes easily for me.

Fluff-Slayer I really loved that portion. A comical, yet believable image--Yoda, protecting the house and the family inside, when he has to stand on the counter to stir soup.

[face_laugh] Yeah, I like that, too. That's the essence of Master Yoda--all this power and wisdom in this teeny tiny package. I enjoy writing him, though I struggled with his weird syntax at first.

Jauhzmynn it made him look outside himself and Bam!. Realization hit home. Hopefully it hit enough so healing can truly commence.

You're right--that's exactly how it worked for Obi-Wan. He's very affectionate boy, and a loyal friend, much harder on himself than he is on anyone else. So making him take the foc

18. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Chapter 45: ?The Nicest Feeling in the World?

It had rained last night. Qui-Gon knew this before he even opened his eyes, and not only because the fresh scent of rain had permeated the house from some window left carelessly open. A slight nip in the air kissed his cheeks and the tip of his nose, and a warm, sleeping body was pressed up against his side. Julune always snuggled up to him in her sleep whenever the air had the slightest chill in it, which was why he sometimes deliberately left a window open in the cool season. A bit sneaky, but very effective. Birds sang outside, announcing the arrival of the sun, which was no doubt glinting off new puddles and the erratic streaks of raindrops on the windows.

Qui-Gon opened one eye and peeked at the face laying on his shoulder. Obi-Wan. The boy seemed completely peaceful, for once, though his face still bore the traces of dried tears, as fresh and as cleansing as the traces of rain. His body was relaxed against Qui-Gon?s, finally, not curled up in that tense little ball that had become so familiar.

And there on the other side of the smaller, slighter body of their son was Julune, curled up against them for warmth and still soundly asleep, her mouth slightly agape. Qui-Gon smiled fondly. This was more normality than they had achieved for days?Julune sleeping like the dead, Obi-Wan relaxed and at peace, Qui-Gon watching them both. This was the way it was supposed to be.

Obi-Wan sighed in his sleep and nestled his head a little nearer to Qui-Gon?s chest. Julune cuddled even closer as he shifted away, muttering a displeased little grunt at the removal of warmth. Qui-Gon tried not to laugh, he truly did, but he lost that battle quickly. He managed to keep his mouth shut, but his chest rumbled, bouncing Obi-Wan?s head just the tiniest bit. Unfortunately, the boy still slept very lightly, though obviously with more peace, now, and he woke immediately, blinking dazedly around as he tried to orient himself.

?Good morning, little one,? Qui-Gon murmured, trying to erase the confusion before it appeared. ?I love you.?

?Papa Qui-Gon?? the boy?s voice was small and rough, but not fearful. He looked up at his father and yawned, not wasting the energy to cover his mouth. He managed a faint little smile. ?You keep saying that.?

Qui-Gon returned his smile sadly. ?Perhaps one of these times you?ll believe me.?

Obi-Wan let his head fall back on the man?s broad shoulder. ?I do believe you,? he said softly. ?You prove it with everything you do.?

?But you don?t believe yet that this is forever.?

A sad little sigh shuddered through the thin body. ?I?m trying to believe.?

?I know. We?ll help you.?

Obi-Wan nodded, and seemed to become aware of the unexpected warmth at his back. He peeked over his shoulder, his eyes widening at the sight of his mama curled up so close. He looked up at his papa a bit wildly.

?She gets chilly at night,? Qui-Gon explained, grinning. ?And you?re a nice, warm little cuddle cub.?

?I am?? The boy?s eyes seemed to widen even further at this strange thought. He glanced back at Julune again, then carefully, gently rolled onto his back, sandwiched snugly between his parents. He looked from one to the other in something very like wonder.

?Are you uncomfortable?? Qui-Gon asked softly.

Obi-Wan considered the question seriously, then shook his head. ?I think I?m exactly the opposite of uncomfortable.?

?This . . .? It was Julune?s voice, rough and sluggish. Her body was still, her eyes shut. ?. . . is the nicest feeling in the world.?

Obi-Wan turned his head to study his mother?s face, only a hand span from his own. ?Are you awake?? he whispered after a moment.

?Yes,? she muttered, her voice still clogged with sleep. ?But I don?t like it and I?m trying not to be.?

Qui-Gon couldn?t help but laugh again, the effort of keeping it all-but-silent jiggling the entire bed. ?That?s your mama,? he said with great affection. ?She does everything with her whole self, all the passion she has in her. Sleeping. Working, gardening

19. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Awwww [face_love] mush indeed Padawan! [face_dancing] Looooved it! A nice family moment! Mum, Pappy, son, and child to be.

Well done!! Wonderful chapter and a lil Yoda mixed in! :D

Oh boy...Obi has tons of family members now! [face_laugh] I wonder if it'll be more than he can handle! [face_laugh]

=D= Excellent job once more!

20. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Aawwwwwwww! [face_love]

That was such a sweet moment at the beginning, I'm so glad Obi seems to be getting more comfortable with his mama.

I just have to say it again--Qui is such a great papa!! [face_love] [face_love]

Thanks for the wondeful update, maychorian, it made my day! :D

21. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    It had rained last night. Qui-Gon knew this before he even opened his eyes, and not only because the fresh scent of rain had permeated the house from some window left carelessly open. A slight nip in the air kissed his cheeks and the tip of his nose, and a warm, sleeping body was pressed up against his side. Julune always snuggled up to him in her sleep whenever the air had the slightest chill in it, which was why he sometimes deliberately left a window open in the cool season. A bit sneaky, but very effective.

Indeed! ;)

There's nothing like a good helping of mush to warm the heart, either! [:D]

Congratulations, May! :)

Star

22. Katieelessar

Katieelessar Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2005
    What wonderful fluffy fluff *feels warm fuzzies* Truly enjoyable!

I can hardly wait for the next chapters. Will Obi-Wan get to meet his new huge family? And when is Julunne finally going to have her baby girl (or boy) :) I can't wait! Keep writing and good luck with the remainer of your college semester. [face_dancing]

23. Sionnach-Airgid

Sionnach-Airgid Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2005
    ?This . . .? It was Julune?s voice, rough and sluggish. Her body was still, her eyes shut. ?. . . is the nicest feeling in the world.?
    [face_love] Awwww!!!!

Great story! I've been reading this for a long time actually, and I don't think I've posted yet . . .:confused:

Anyway, do you PM with updates? If you do, can you add me to your list?

=D= =D= =D=

24. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, lovely mush. I'm glad that Obi-Wan is slowly realizing that he is with family now and will be able to blossom into his own. I can't help wondering what is going to happen now with Yoda there. Are there going to be any more dealings with those slavers? Is Xan ever going to show up? Will the whole universe change now that they are no longer Jedi?

Looking forward to more.

25. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Lol, I love Julune when she's like this, mumbling in her sleep, and cuddling up to them when it's cold. And it's obvious that she loved them both very, very much. And those squabbles about whther Obi's going to have a baby brother or sis.

Obi's going to meet his relations!

Wonderful update, May. Your writing is always amazing.[face_love]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.