main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index The Underrated Story Index - Coming soon...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Underrated_Index, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Underrated_Index

Underrated_Index Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2008
    Welcome to the Underrated Story Index which is here to shine a much needed spotlight to those underrated stories that exists on these boards.

We all have encountered it at some time or another. We work hard on a story and when we finally post it here, it garners very little attention, if any at all. Now, writing fan fiction is fun, but we all must admit that it is hard to find the urge to keep on writing when ones readership is lacking. Why does it happen? Well, that question has a lot of answers but that is not the main purpose of this thread.

So what is the purpose of this thread?

It is simple, really. This thread is designed to a highlight underrated stories on these boards that deserve more attention and a wider readership. This will also be a place where writers can gather and discuss how they handle their underrated stories, share tips, offer support etc.

But first off, some rules:

- NO NEGATIVITY. This thread handles very loaded topic within online fan fiction, that of readership, and I will not have this index derailed into a ?woe is me?, ?I?m a bad writer?, ?nobody gets me? torrent of complaints. Any signs of negativity or hostility to the community will only get this index locked which will ruin the good work it is supposed to do. Again, NO NEGATIVITY towards your fellow writers, the readers or the community.

- NO FIC PIMPING. Please refrain from posting any links to your stories in the thread. If you feel that your story is underrated, please contact the index sock via PM.

Those two are the most important rules which will ensure that this thread stays on track and is pleasant for everyone. Otherwise, the other rules of the community apply, i.e. nothing that violates the Terms of Service.

How does this index work?

To function properly in giving underrated stories the proper amount of attention, this index will feature ONE underrated story every week and when that week has passed and a new story will be featured. To make this easier for everyone, please send your underrated stories to the index sock. If chosen, the sock will send a PM back to you, asking you to write something down about your story, what it is about and why people should read it.

Whilst it?s hard to pinpoint in numbers what is/isn?t an underrated story, this index has set up some criteria so to make the process of choosing stories easier. Here they are:

An underrated story is one that has been on the boards for at least 3 weeks and hasn?t managed to garner a readership of four members that comment or more after every update. If your story falls into this category, then it is eligible to be featured in the index and you may submit it via PM to the index sock for evaluation.

The index sock?s word on what stories are featured is final. Please refrain from resubmitting links to the same story. It could be a case that the story in question being put in line to be featured another week. Constant resubmissions will only lessen any chances of a story being featured.

The current caretakers of the index are NightSword and hyperspace_police

A special thanks to The_Face for his help in setting up this index and coming with some extremely helpful advice. It wouldn't look half as good without his input :)

2. Underrated_Index

May 10, 2008
    HELPFUL TIPS FOR STRUGGLING WRITERS

Apart from being an index that highlights underrated stories, this will also be a place where struggling writers can find advice and support from fellow writers. I have started a list with some helpful tips on how to cope with an underrated story and how you can turn it around. Have you got any other tips? Please, come and share with us and help to fill out this list for the benefit of everyone!

1. STAY POSITIVE! Sure, a lacking readership can be frustrating but if you start writing your story with a negative attitude towards it, it will show and it will not make it anymore interesting for readers.

2. KEEP ON WRITING! Giving up on your story will not increase any chances of it gaining readers. Keep on writing and there?s a chance that it will attract someone.

3. WRITE VIGNETTES AND ONE-SHOTS! Vignettes and one-shots are an excellent way for a writer to showcase his/her skill. These are usually short, one page stories that don?t take long to read so there?s a good chance that several readers will check out your story. If they like it, it could lead them to check out your other works.

4. READ OTHER PEOPLE?S STORIES! How you expect people to take interest in your story when you don?t take interest in other people?s work? For this community to work, one must take the time to read other people?s work.

5. GET ACTIVE! Join discussion and show your face around in the Resource forum. Take on challenges. There are several threads here that post different challenges. It is a great opportunity to test your creative limits as a writer.

Here are links to some thread one can check out to help with ones writing or that offer good challenges. There are also several character/genre based indexes on this board that offer good tips. If anyone feels that this list is missing something, please submit a link and I?ll make sure to include it:

The Plot Bunny Thread

A great place to find good ideas for stories or share your good ideas

PT Write/Rewrite

A fun challenge where you can win colours!

Twenty-Five Rules For Writing Successful Fiction

An interesting workshop which provides many good ideas on how to write good and succesful fiction

Creche Thread

A place where struggling writers can find a mentor who can help them improve their writing skills and who can offer support. I can heartily recommend this place.

Essential Guide to OC?s

Original character (OC) writers tend to often be underrated. This is a thread which shares helpful tips, has great discussions and have fun monthly challenges!

The *NEW* First Sentence Challenge

A fun challenge which flexes your creative muscles!

No, really, how do you get people to read your fics?

A thread filled to the brim with great advice

The Literary Sketchpad ? The REBORN Vignette Challenge Thread

An excellent place to find good vignette challenges.

The Missing Scene Roulette Challenge

A very fun roulette challenge which makes one play around within the movies. Good fun!

3. Underrated_Index

May 10, 2008
    ANNOUNCEMENT 11th of April 2009

Adoption talks are underway. Expect the index to emerge under new management soon.

4. Underrated_Index

May 10, 2008
    FEATURED STORY

Coming soon

5. Underrated_Index

May 10, 2008
    Index for Before the Saga

A

B

C

D

E

F

Freedom in Bondage by Alexis_Wingstar

G

Gateway to Infinity by mujapple-juicey

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

The Seventh Star by Katana_Geldar

After serving seven years behind bars for a crime he knows he didn't commit, Jali Dawler, former Coruscant Security Force Officer, is now free, yet not trusted by either side of the law. When his long time friend Tollan Antilles confirms Jali's own suspicions with some proof--proof that he killed before before he was able to hand it over--Jali is forced to search for his friend's killer and clear his name.

Yet things have changed since Jali last wore his Security Force uniform, with the fall of Black Sun, a new gang has arisen in the underlevels of Coruscant. New allies, old allies, old friends and new enemies, yet it all begins in that old haunt on Vos Gesal Street, The Seventh Star...

The Seventh Star is a very different story from others I have written in the past. It's a hardboiled detective story set during the Old Republic and what I wish the Coruscant Nights novels could have been. As the story goes on, you'll follow a series of clues and accounts until the killer is revealed, and you may even get there before Jali does!
    And if you like this, it has a sequel "The White Twi'lek" and there will be a third one "The Silver Ring" which I am currently planning.

T

Those Eyes! by Alexis_Wingstar

U

V

W

The White Twi'lek by Katana_Geldar

X

Y

Z

6. Underrated_Index

May 10, 2008
    Index for the Saga

A

A chick on every planet by earlybird-obi-wan

A chick on every planet is a diary from a mercenary working for a boss and with a grudge against the Jedi. When thing go not as planned he is imprisoned thanks again to the Jedi but he will be freed by his new boss Palpatine who has a great future for him; personal detective. He gets the dirty job and works often together with Laie Drik one of the ?hands? of Palpatine. The Clone wars will prove quite exciting for him.

B

C

D

Diary of a mentor by earlybird-obi-wan

Diary of a young healer by earlybird-obi-wan

E

The Enforcer by yodas_waiter

The Enforcer is the story about the young Imperial noble Hector Viralte, who discovers that he has latent Force sensitivity. This revelation turns his comfortable lifestyle upside down as Hector tries to come to grips with the immense power he wields whilst at the same time trying to keep his place in a society which hunts down those with Force sensitivity. Having failed to join the Imperial army, his life ambition, Hector decides that the only consolation is to uphold Imperial law by using his powers under the alias of the "Enforcer". This puts him on a crash course with most of the Imperial society...

The Enforcer is an homage to the classic super-heroes such as Batman, Spiderman, Iron Man etc. with a Star Wars-y feel to it whilst at the same time trying to poke fun at the various super-hero clichés. The story features a fair amount of drama, intrigue, humour and, of course, action. In short, it has something for everyone.

F

G

H

I

In absentia by DarthIshtar

Star Wars has come to a whole new level. On our very own board there is the untold story of an Imperial officer and his family. It has humor, scandal, political intrigue and a courtroom thriller and is even close-captioned for the hearing-impaired!

No, seriously. In Absentia is the diary of Ive, the wife of a bridge officer on Captain Needa's Star Destroyer. She is an Alderaanian-born Imperial loyalist raising her hearing-impaired seven-year-old daughter on Empire-era Corellia. This deals with everything from the challenges of being a military wife to rumors of rebel activity in their own city. It takes place during the year in which the Battle of Hoth happened, so the war is in full stride and there's no telling what the outcome is. I have many ideas, of course, but you'll have to read the ending to find out.

I Scream You Scream by LittleMissNightsaber

J

K

L

The Last Twilight by cdmcc

Here's what he has to say about the story:

Well, The Last Twilight is a noir detective mystery set on Coruscant between AOTC and ROTS. A lowly private detective gets drawn into murky affairs of the upper classes of the planet. As he starts to dig a bit deeper, a number of secrets start to unravel and soon he finds the need to watch his back. Meanwhile the galaxy starts the slow, hot burn to all out war. Familiar characters will make an appearance as suspicion falls on many.The real hero of the story is the planet and those who make it the centre of the galaxy.

M

Mother's of the desert by Quigonjecca

N

O

P

Q

R

S

[link=http://boards.t

7. Underrated_Index

May 10, 2008
    Index for Beyond the Saga

A

B

C

Causality by Stroja

Taking place nine-hundred years after the Battle of Endor, the galaxy is recovering from nearly a century of perpetual warfare. Rejected by the Jedi Order for lacking Force abilities and haunted by a dark prophecy, Avida Dawnherald flees to a new life on Coruscant. There she learns the awful truth behind her mother's demise and finds herself at the forefront of a movement intending to overthrow the Republic. Sensing Avida's slow fall into darkness, her brother Kayven must balance his hunt for an ancient Sith Lord with his determination to save his sister from self-destruction at any cost.

And why people might like it:
    The story may be set far into the future, but it is distinctly Star Wars. The story's protagonists are siblings, both living in the shadow of a larger-than-life parent. They represent a generation of Jedi that grew up with the reality of a biological weapon that can rob a Jedi of their powers - one of them suffers from it, the other does not. The story is set in a galaxy that is in disarray, and has forgotten what heroes are.

Comfort and Consolation by mrjop2

D

E

F

Fear and Love by Earthknight

Fear and Love is a romance/comedy set in a Post NJO alternate universe. Ben wants to tell Tahiri that he loves her while Jacen and Jag want to propose to Tenel Ka and Jaina. Problem is: the three men fear that Tshiri, Jaina, and Tenel Ka will reject them.

The story is to show the fear that some guys feel when they deal with stuff like marriage proposals or revealing feelings to a woman. It's about conquering that fear and to see if it will lead to success or failiure. For Jag, Jacen, and Ben, you will see if it ends happily for them...or sadly.

G

Grown and Still Growing by Alexis_Wingstar

H

Heartache and End by Earthknight

I

J

Jedi Generation Book 1: Rebirth by mrjop2

K

L

M

Making a life by zonzo

N

O

P

Q

R

S

Star Wars Episode VIII: Mysteries of the Sith by mrjop2

Star Wars Episode VII: Resurrection of the Sith by mrjop2

Star Wars Episode VII: Resurrection of the Sith is the first of the Second Sith War trilogy and my vision of what a third movie trilogy would be like. It ignores most of everything that takes place after the Kevin J. Anderson trilogy except for some of the well known characters.

Many years have passed since the Galactic War was won and the Empire was defeated. The remnants of the Empire and the New Republic had found a way to co-exist for over fifty years, but now the New Republic is in danger of breaking out into another civil war, and all of it stemming from the assassination of Supreme Chancellor Leia Organa Solo and Ambassador Han Solo from years past. Some fear that the Imperial Order is responsible for sabotaging all attempts for peace.

As the Jedi fight to keep a civil war from brewing, a young Jedi woman named Jacina is sent out to bring in a possible eye witness to the brutal assassination for questioni

8. Underrated_Index

May 10, 2008
    Index for NSWFF (alphabetized by fandom)

A

B

C

D

Delta Green

Summer in the City by Darth_Bliss (also in fandoms Call of Cthulhu/H.P Lovecraft)

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

9. Underrated_Index

May 10, 2008
  10. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    This is a great idea, yodas_waiter. [face_thumbsup]

You'll be recieving a PM from me soon. :D

11. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    [face_hypnotized] Shiny!

It's a good idea.
    next time I stumble over an overlooked gem, I'll know where to report it to. :D

12. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    Great idea. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Great idea and this will help around awards time.

14. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    Excellent idea for an index!

15. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    What a wonderful idea! =D=

16. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Awesome idea! Someone like me could really use something like this right about now.

17. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    I'm intrigued as to how this will turn out ;)

I have a question or two if you don't mind... Is there any limit on the number of fics one can submit? For example if writer A is feeling down about his/her fics could they send in all their fics at once and hope they get picked? Also, can you submit other authors' fics? I know I'd rather help another writer out with their underrated fics than pimp my own.

I'll be looking in here often, seems like a great idea! :D

18. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Is there a limit to how old a fic can be? There may be an old fic on the boards that never got much attention and is now done and locked. Would that be a good candidate? I assume that an older fic like that would have to be complete to be included in the index? Unfinished fics are a bit of a downer to me.

19. Underrated_Index

May 10, 2008
    Firstly, thanks for the positive feedback. I'm glad that many think that this is a good idea and I hope that you all will contribute to making this a great index! :)

Now, concerning some questions

You may submit as many fics as you like, just as long as you don't submit the same fic several times. However, whilst it is no rule, I would recommend the one PM = one fic approach. I will try my best to stay on top of things but there is a risk I can swamped and lose track of my PM's. It would be a shame if several fics got lost just because they were just in one PM.

And yes, you may submit the work of other author's if you feel they are underrated. I would recommend though that you spoke with the author in question first though because they might be happy with their readership and not feel underrated at all.

Hope that clears up any questions :)

Yes, old and locked fics that never got much attention are still eligible. However, I don't think I would accept unfinished arcs. Old and locked fics would have to completed to be eligible to be featured.

Hope that answers your question :)

20. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    ACK! I already put several fics in one PM! :oops:

21. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    So did I! oops!

22. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    One nitpicking question, if you don't mind:

If an underrated fic becomes - er, non-underrated after being indexed, does it get taken off the list?

- lazy

23. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes, they don't want you if you're liked. 8-}

24. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Just adding my support of a wonderful idea. Whether you're just starting out or have been away for a long time, if you don't get replies you wonder if you are a good writer, or in the case of 'coming back' you wonder if you ever had 'it'. Most of the time, it's just a case of too many stories, and too few eyes.

It's nice to see a place to showcase the undiscovered jems!

Bravo!!

25. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Are one-shots/vigs eligible for this index?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.