main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index The Underrated Story Index - Coming soon...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Underrated_Index, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Wow! Talk about a great idea :)

Oh, and I second Alexis_Wingstar's question.

2. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I think they should stay on the list - it'd be like disqualifying a story when the awards come around just because one more person reads it after it's been nominated.

I have a locked story from last year, but I wasn't going to send it because with it being locked, I wouldn't know if it gained more readers anyway, as it won't accept any new replies. What are others thoughts on this?

3. Underrated_Index

Underrated_Index Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2008
    Not to worry, I'm keeping an extra eye on these PM's. I haven't received too many PM's yet so it's not a problem right now but it could become one in the future, so just keep that in mind.

Good question!

The answer is no. Fics that garner a wider readership after being featured will stay in the index. I see no reason to take them off. It will only be a lot of hassle.

Yes, all types of stories are eligible. Vigs and one-shots however will be harder to determine than longer stories that are constantly updated but nonetheless, they are still eligible.

4. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    This thread is a 100 in awesomeness. I'm glad somebody created it.

5. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Stories can be unlocked by their authors at any time. To do this, go to the very first post and click "edit." There will be a box to the left that says "options." Click the line marked "locked" to remove the check mark and then click "edit" again.

This will unlock the thread.

At that time, you will need to post in the story just saying that it's unlocked or something like that, otherwise it will auto-lock again the next day.

Threads auto-lock after six months, so just one post will keep it open for the next six months unless the author decides to lock it manually.

6. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    Oh...so that's how you unlock a story thread. Cool :) .

7. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    I think this is a great idea. There are so many excellent stories, especially some of the more unusual ones, that never get that much attention. Thank you for running it!

8. Underrated_Index

May 10, 2008
    Upping to show featured story

9. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I know I PMed you with this correction, but that's before I noticed that you also put a underline as well as leaving 'the' out of my writing partner's screen name. :oops: My bad. It's The Musical Jedi, no underlines. I didn't want to flood your box with PM's.

Thanks again for choosing our story first. [:D] I can't wait to see some other fics that will be featured. There are many, I'm sure that deserve more recognition than they get. :)

10. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    UP!

This thread shall not slip into the abyss!

11. Underrated_Index

May 10, 2008
    Ok, new featured story up and to lively up this thread a bit, I've decided to start a little discussion:

We've all been there, seeing a story we thought would do alright sink with a small or even no readership at all! How do you, as an author, cope with that? How do you convince yourself to keep on writing?

12. -thor-

-thor- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Easy - have the story finished before you start posting. ;)

On a serious note. I happen to have ... eccentric ... muses. They tend to take long breaks (and I mean long long breaks) so that posting while writing doesn't work for me. As a result there's been just one story I abandoned - because I tried to post while the story wasn't finished.

13. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    Well when you see your hard work slip into skid row you naturally feel down. But you also get a hunger to keep writing because a thought appears in your head that 'okay this can't continue forever. Eventually you're going to get a reader'. We all have bad luck but bad luck doesn't last forever.

14. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Be more in love with the story than you are with your readers. I have a diary challenge response where I have incredible characters, intense situations and 2 readers. I am so addicted to the characters that I want to keep going.

What do we do if we've PMed stories to the sock and the index isn't showing that we have?

15. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    From what I understand, the only stories that are indexed are the ones that have been featured.

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay...that sort of defeats the purpose of an index. How are we supposed to support things that we don't ever hear about?

17. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I know what you mean. yodas_waiter, this is just a suggestion, but why can't you go ahead and index stories that are eligible for indexing under the underrated category, but still do a feature once a week on one or another story?

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    The main point is, you don't index the underrated, they stay underrated.

19. Underrated_Index

May 10, 2008
    The setup and aims of this index invites a tricky situation. Either you do a straight-up index and risk losing several stories in the crowd or one can do as I do now, featuring one rather heavily but leaving many stories unfortunately unseen. Me and The_Face discussed this since I felt that the first option, the one Ish seems to prefer, would the best thing but he felt it would defeat the purpose of the index. Instead, he suggested the current setup with some very persuasive arguments and in the end I agreed with him, thus you see the index in its current form.

However, I find this to be a perfect compromise and I can't believe it hasn't even crossed my mind until now. Thank you Alexis :)

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding that may have occured. Apparently, I failed to be clear enough in my opening posts.

I will see to it that stories will get indexed and then later featured, however, since I'm graduating at the end of this week, this may take some time. So all I ask for is patience.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I want this to be a good an index as possible

20. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    If you need any help, I'll be glad to give it.

21. Underrated_Index

May 10, 2008
    Thanks Alexis, but I don't think I need any help with this. At least not now.

I'm just saying, with this being a pretty crazy week, that the index probably won't be fully updated until by the end of the week. So, be patient everyone and I'll get it fixed!

22. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Well, that's a good idea.

Anyway, thank you so much for featuring my story this week! This is awesome! I'm so excited!

23. Underrated_Index

May 10, 2008
    I've done this once with one story and found it to be pleasant experiance. I managed to garner a steady readership and didn't need to feel the pressure of DRL. Had the story done badly, I still would've gone through and posted all updates and I would've avoided the additional stress of "Oh no! How can write now to get more readers?!"

So yeah, I can definitely recommend completing a story before posting it online.

Don't mention it. I'm only doing my job. Thank you for submitting your story :)

Oh, and an FYI to all, the index is now updated, though not complete. I still have to take a look at some stories, however, this turned out easier than I expected :)

24. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
  25. Underrated_Index

May 10, 2008
    Thanks Earthknight.

Upping for new featured story, check it out!

I also think we can let this discussion continue for another week. I'm sure there are many more things to be said about it. I'll just reitirate my question:

We've all been there, seeing a story we thought would do alright sink with a small or even no readership at all! How do you, as an author, cope with that? How do you convince yourself to keep on writing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.