main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Unexamined Life- AU- Updated with 2 chapters- 6/20/06

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by sidious618, Jun 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    This is going to be rather long but I figured I'd only put up the prologue to see what people think of it. If you guys stick with it you'll find that this thing turns into one hell of a storm.

Prologue: Do No Evil

It?s the yelling that does it.

His eyes snap open and he immediately rises from his bed to look out the window. Outside he sees the blinking lights from Korun City far in the distance. Just down the block he sees the cause of the yelling: Dawny is arguing with her boyfriend.

Isn?t that just terrific. If only her voice was like a battery and ran out once in a while.

He shakes his head and decides that he might as well get up. Morning is just a few hours away so going back to bed seems like a pointless exercise to him.

He trots lightly down the stairs, his feet barely making a sound as they hit each step. He walks into the living quarters and tunes into the holonet news feed. The first news item speaks about Senator Palpatine. Honestly, he couldn?t care less about Senator Palpatine so he skips to the next entry. It is an article about the Jedi.

?You were to be a Jedi,? his father had once told him. ?At the last minute I put my foot down and told them to go back. I wanted you to stay with me.?

His father is dead. Now he lives only with his mother and sister.

?Hey,? says a voice from the steps.

He looks over to see his sister, Dari, and gives a half-hearted wave with his fake left hand. He had lost that hand in the same accident during which his father lost his life.

?What time are you leaving for Coruscant?? she asks. Her voice betrays the fact that she does not want her brother to go.

?I?ve got a few hours left,? he responds. ?All my bags are packed, though. I just need to get some breakfast.?

?Can you make some for me?? she inquires hoping up and down on the steps.

?As long as you?re quiet. You?ll wake mom with all your stomping.? He rolls his eyes as he heads into the kitchen. ?I?m guessing you don?t want food from the replicator.?

?Bleagh. I?d rather eat my own eyes.?

?I?d pay to see that,? he says as he starts to take out some food from the freezer. ?Flatcakes??

?Sounds great so long as you don?t burn ?em.?

?I guess I just like my food crispier than yours,? he replies. He begins to smile. ?All sizzled up.?

?You might as well throw them in a volcano,? she states as she comes downstairs.

?I know what you?re thinking,? he says.

?Mom said you?re not supposed to go in anyone?s minds!?

?It?s not always by choice!? he replies.

?Mom!? she begins to cry. ?He?s reading my mind.?

?Oh, damn,? he mutters.

A middle aged woman comes down the stairs and looks at him. ?They told your father to make sure you didn?t do things like that!?

He sighs. ?Mom, it was an involuntary act. Relax.?

?Don?t talk to me like that, Obi-Wan Kenobi!?

The Unexamined Life

2. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Ooh, intriguing. So Obi-Wan isn't a Jedi in this? Yet he's on his way to Coruscant... I wonder what will happen. Intresting idea, and a great start.

3. NoemiTenshi

NoemiTenshi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    I like the idea of Obi not being a Jedi... (yet?).
    I hope to hear soon more.
    Read you ^^

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ooh, even before we found out this young man was Obi-Wan, I found it an intriguing start. Sounds like a treat to follow.

Are you making a PM list? May I be added?

5. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    Very interesting start - I can't wait to find out what will become of Obi-Wan and what has already happened.

PM me when you update.

6. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    Yeah, I can PM, no problem.

Also, I assure you Ob-Wan will not become a Jedi. Doesn't mean he won't use the Force, though.

7. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    Should be an update tonight with the first chapter.

8. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    Here are the first two chapters. They're odd, almost surreal. They're not written how the rest of the story will be but these chapters needed to feel off, almost mystical.

Chapter One: Kingdom Come

Two Months Later: Tatooine

He sits in a dark room, knowing full well what will happen, how much strength it will take. He closes his eyes and slowly lets himself fall into the Force.

He rips, tears and manipulates. He steals and curses, convinces and implores, demands and receives. His eyelids flutter as he tries to contain himself, the Force flowing through him.

Darth Sidious knows one thing and he knows it for sure. He is now the master.

The one has almost finished his work and he allows himself to fall onto the floor, desperately seeking rest.

Darth Sidious sees him lying on the floor and smiles. He takes his lightsaber from his hilt and ignites it. The red blade sends a shudder through the air.

He brings the saber down.

Now, he is the master.

And then he senses what his master has done.

He screams.

Shmi Skywalker awakens. Her eyes look about the room, searching for something, anything, to bring her back into reality.

She feels it. Oh, she feels it at that moment. She feels it in her, moving, becoming life.

A child.

Sidious looks down at the dead Sith Lord. ?You created a child of evil,? Sidious muses. ?Perhaps you had more power than I thought. You could create life yet you couldn?t see you own death coming.? He removes his old master?s lightsaber from the belt.

?I am missed. Good.?

Chapter Two: Vote

?Where is Senator Palpatine,? Bail Organa mutters under his breath. He sighs and looks at his aide, Obi-Wan Kenobi. ?If Palpatine doesn?t come soon the vote will pass.?

?I know,? says Obi-Wan. The young man finds it ironic that his boss is barely five years older than him yet he has found that Organa is wise beyond his years.

Yet, Obi-Wan had found a friend in Bail. A friend he desperately needed. ?I think he?ll be here soon.? He knew the words were lies as he said them and cursed himself for giving his friend false hope. He could not sense Palpatine?s imminent arrival as he often could.

?Well it?s time to go in.? Organa marchs through an arch and into his rotunda, one of thousands in the circular Senate Chamber. Obi-Wan sits directly behind Organa and gives him a pat on the shoulder. ?Are you going to make a speech??

Bail turns around and gives a smile. ?Hey, do what you?re good at, right?? He stands up and hits a control on the panel at the edge of the rotunda. It detaches itself from the wall and begins to float into the middle of the room.

Obi-Wan had at first been awed by the Senate chambers but now he found them decidedly sinister. The way the room seemed to spiral revealed the mixed agendas of the various senators. The natures of those agendas are shown in the dark green hue that the rotundas give off. The shiny nature of the rotundas show how underneath it all the Senate is nothing more than a pretty thing. At the end of the day the Senate is hollow.

Obi-Wan also knows that Organa has given himself the task of fixing the Senate. Perhaps if there were more senators like him it would be possible. Yet Organa is one in a million and Obi-Wan knows that there is no way Organa will succeed.

?Chancellor Valia, if I may,? Organa announces.

Valia is an older Twi?lek woman, green skinned with tow lekku that travel down her back. ?You do not feel that you said enough the other day??

Ignoring this comment Organa looks at the thousands of faces in the Senate chambers. ?We cannot allow this vote to pass. The Trade Federation cannot receive armaments from us for their ships.?

?But our ships are being attacked,? Neimoidian Lott Dod cries from his rotunda which soon detaches itself from the wall. ?We cannot be defenseless.?

?I know. That is why I believe Republic forces should be sent to stop the raiders-?

?You are buying time for Senator Palpatine to show up,? Passel Argente says from his rotunda. ?Let

9. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    Obi-Wan's leaning towards the dark end of the spectrum. Sidious seems to be picking this up - do we have a future Sith Obi-Wan?

Great post; I need more...

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ahhh, so Sidious master created Anakin just before being killed by his apprentice. Interesting.

Obi-Wan had at first been awed by the Senate chambers but now he found them decidedly sinister. The way the room seemed to spiral revealed the mixed agendas of the various senators. The natures of those agendas are shown in the dark green hue that the rotundas give off. The shiny nature of the rotundas show how underneath it all the Senate is nothing more than a pretty thing. At the end of the day the Senate is hollow.

Oooh, very nice description of the senate chambers there. Nicely done!!

The other master looks down at the shooter. ?So is he. The boy beat him to death.?

:eek: :eek: Oh no, Obi-Wan couldn't have meant to do that. He just let himself go too far.

11. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    Thank you both for your comments. I'm definately taking Obi-Wan through hell and we'll soon see if he's capable of getting out of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.