main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Unforseen Future/ teen Obi-Wan's Misadventures in the military.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by jodiwent, Feb 21, 2000.

1. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    This is great! Poor Obi-Wan, stuck there with no money and no free meals. I hope he doesn't faint one day from lack of nourishment! I also hope the others in Flight B don't try to beat him up or anything for being so good when they were not. Keep going! I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment!

2. HealerLeona

HealerLeona Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2000
    Top notch story, really keeps me interested.
    Post, post, post.

3. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    On his return to the barracks, the jedi passed the com-links. Again only those who arrived early or waited for hours could get to use them. He saw a place to buy things but didn't want to waste the credits he had left. He broke down and bought a tooth brush, tooth paste and soap. Two credits gone, leaving four. A towel was six, If he wanted to eat in the following days he'd have to wait.

Across from the barracks there were real showers. Obi-Wan got water from the sink to fill his growling stomach. That mornings mishap with the sonic shower at least had left him not needing another. He WAS getting agrivated.

He went to his bunk and put his saber back in its safe place. He knelt to meditate and think of how to aquire what he needed. 'Tomorrow,' he thought, 'tomorrow it will resolve itself.' He bowed to the ancestors and went to sleep.

While the others got their extra two hours sleep that morning, Obi-Wan went to whatch the techs work on their ships. He was taking some tech classes as well. He figured he's see what was what.

"Heay, Benobi." It was Lt. Spears. "Your a little early aren't you?"

"I know." Obi-Wan said. "Sir?"

"Just don't get in the way Benobi." The Lt. continued to rush off. Kenobi wondered if Spears would ever get his name right.

"Look there he is." Dae O'Daki told his cousins. They called out. "Obi-Wan, over here." The jedi obliged and went over to the ship they were working on.

"Where'd you disapear to last night?" Croe asked as he worked. "You sure showed them yesterday. Even the spacers were talking about it."

"I had something I had to do."

We saw that your in some of the same classes with us." Dae commented. "I don't think any fo the other pilots are taking any tech clesses."

"My master signed me up for my classes." The jedi said, not remarking on how the O'Daki's got into his records. "I figure he thinks I'll need it when I'm a knight, or even now. Some times we've been in some remote systems, and had to rely on ourselves alone."

"From what I've seen, you don't have much to worrie about."

"The four of you did fairly well yourselves."

"When you've got to run from the security forceses..." Croe started to say. Dae nudged him to stop.

"You don't need to watch what you tell me." Obi-Wan said plainly. "You can't hide much from a jedi anyway. If you've grown up on the streets of Coruscant I'm sure you've had to use some creative survival techniques.
    The jedi use subterfuge when necessary. We aren't saints you know, I am as human as you."

The jedi's forward maner suprisesd the O'Daki.

"I've heard that if a jedi gives his word it's good," Arden said in an asking way. "but you use that mind stuff to fool people."

"If I give my word that is it." Obi-Wan told the younger O'Daki. "I don't give it with out reason. If it were necesary for a greater good, to save a life, to keep peace, I could bend the truth, or hide it."

"Isn't that a contradiction?" Dae asked. "Who decides what the greater good is?"

"The force tells us...I'm only a Padawan, by the time I'm a knight I should know. It's about the ballance of peace and justice. We are the servants of the republic, and are supposed to up hold it's laws."

"So, if some one broke a law of the republic," Croe asked, "you'd have to do something about it?"

"We're not security forces... We have larger things to deal with than petty thefts." Obi-Wan "Yet mindless actions do affect the being they happen to."

"If someone did something wrong would you hate them?"

Obi-Wan looked at Croe oddly. 'Hate' was so not jedi. He suspected his new friends may have had to steal in the past to survive.

"I never knew how many misconceptions people have about the jedi." Kenobi sighed. " I myself have little patients with fools or things that are useless, but hate. That is some thing not looked on well amoung jedi. One of the strongest jedi beliefs is acceptance, of situations, and of people."

"I am still learning." the young jedi continue

4. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Come on, Organa, forget those blasted politics and feed the poor Jedi! After all the best way to a friend's heart is through his stomach. Come on, he can't go on like this much longer!

5. The Butler

The Butler Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 1999
    I agree. Jedi or not, a protein drink a day is not going to last you long. Don't tell me Qui-Gon was "testing" Obi-Wan, to see how long he could live on eight credits. As for Organa, he should probably realize by now that Kenobi's rather destitute.
    Great, intriguing work.

6. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    I went back and changed one sentance in the last segment the rematch is at the end of the week not in a week. I wrote this a while back and havn't really edited it.

This is a late reply but yes the Antilles in this story is supposed to be Captain Antilles. Even though 3PO refers to him in the movie and novel of ANH he is called Captain Colton. In the national public radio series (that I just borrowed from a friend, on tape) he has more interacton with Leia on her 'mercy' missions. The age may be wrong but I'm going with it. Any relation to Wedge... only G.L. knows that.

The day after tomorrow was the re-match. The flight was preparing. They had been there for five days and it had been that long since Obi-Wan had any solid food. More than one of the cadets noticed that the jedi was not looking as perky as he had five days ago.
    His uniform seemed to hang off of him a little, but they didn't know why.

Kenobi neaver gave any indication that anything was other than fine. He neaver complained or asked for anything. His friend Croe O'Daki was worring about him, but respected the fact that Obi-Wan hadn't asked for help. Because it hadn't affected his flying no one but the cousins seemed to realize what was going on.

Croe was talking to Dae underneath one of the fighters. "Do the math." He told his cousin. "Unless he got something from the temple he's broke."

"Let's see, he had eight credits five days ago." Dae thought out loud. The O'Daki cousins had been watching out for the jedi weather he knew it or not. "We've only seen hem eatin... drinking two times since the first night. That's four credits I think he baught something. Unless he spent it he's got two credits left." Part of Dae's interest was the curiosity of how long Obi-Wn could live on eight credits. If he could some how have bet on it he would have.

"My stomach hurts just thinking about it." Croe said. "Do you think he'll get the rest before..."

The conversation was cut short by the crew chief, who once again told them to get back to the ships they'd been working on.

The day was uneventfull. When it was over, Obi-Wan wanted to reserve his energy for the next day. Unlike the other days he did not practice his saber. He went directly to the barracks and lay down on his bunk.

"You don't look so good." Cadet Antilles told Obi-wan, as he was getting ready to go spend his free time having fun with the rest of his friends. "You gonna be O.K. tomorrow?"

"Yes." was th eonly thing the jedi said.

In the dining area Antilles expressed his concern to Organa. "The jedi doesn't look so good. I hope he's not sick tomorrow."

Dae O'Daki happened to be passing by their over loaded table at the same time.

"It would be our luck." Ringe said. "As much as I hate to admit it, we need him."

"You there..." Organa stoped Dae. "Your a friend of the jedi, will he be ready tomorrow.

Dae embarased the prince of Alderaan by saying, "The 'jedi' has a name you know."

"Is he sick?" Ringe asked. "What's wrong with him."

"Nothing that some food won't cure." Dae started to walk away.

"What do you mean?" Saraash asked.

O'Daki turned around. "Not that any of you'd ever know about not eating. Starving tends to make you sick."

"Starving?" Organa questioned. "You mean he's fasting.?"

"No."

"Then why isn't he eating?" Wardeen asked.

"You are thick. No credits, no food. Get it?"

"What do you mean no credits..." It then dawned on Organa, "Now I remember, the first day, he said he wasn't able to get his things from the temple."

"All I know is, we can't blow tomorrow." Wardeen said. "The jedi's going to blow it."

Organa and Antilles were looking at the table and both felt slightly self-conscious. Still Organa asked Dae. "You're his friends why didn't you ...help..."

"Listen pal." Dae puffed up. "We did once. Me and my cousins just have enough for us. Our family's given up a lot to send us here. Besides that Obi-Wan's neaver asked for anything."

"When do you think he ate last?" Antilles aske simpatheticly. "I couldn't go a day..."

"All I kno

7. The Butler

Oct 18, 1999
    (let's out a breath)
    Finally...food. You know, I can't help but feel for Obi-Wan. You write a very convincing military academy jodiwent. Good luck on writing the rematch. Since I, personally, cannot write a dogfight even if my life depended on it, I'm offering my emotional support instead.

8. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Hi Jane Jinn would love this story, Obi-wan torture is her speaciality, as for me...well I'm addicted.

Please post more soon

Kithera

9. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Thanks, Kit', I do wonder what gave you the idea that Obi-Torture is my specialty? Heh, heh. Lots of other people do it, too! (Eh, Dmara?) But you're right, I love this story. I was really worried there for a while that Obi-Wan was going to go AWOL early one morning and make his way back to the Temple, pinning Qui-Gon to his bed with a foot and a light saber."Your money or your life...Master!"

Now get out there and smear A-Squadron, Obi-Wan!

10. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    you guys are too good at predicting... he he he.I'll tell no more untill later have to run to work.

11. HealerLeona

Jan 18, 2000
    About time Organa and company took notice of Obi's predicament. You'd think someone being groomed to rule should be a little more aware of those around them .(assasination plots and what not)

12. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    "Heay." Organa jokingly objected to is friends statement that he'd be taking on the spacers 'all by himself' if Obi-Wan wasn't around. Even though all of lthe Alderaanian cadets were skilled pilots Antilles was by far the best.

They were close enough friends that Organa didn't hesitate to put Antilles in a head lock and rough house like two school boys. They had grown up in each others shadows. Not quite as close as brothers, no one was that close to the prince. Antilles was Organa's second. One day he'd show his loyalty not only to him but his daughter as well.

Alderaan had been a democracy for a long time, but still kept it's royalty. They had no real power except the ones who were in the republic's government. They did however have great sway with the people of Alderaan.

Alderaan always known as a planet of culture, would not be known as the planet of peace untill after the clone wars, when Bail Organa, sickened by war disarmed his planet.

"I can still best you in some things." The prince joked. "Hot shot."

"Owah." Antilles giggled. "O.k., O.k. I yeild."

Organa let go of his friend.

"Arms." Antilles said, and the two started to arm wrestle on the edge of the bunk. It was almost as if they had forgot anyone elce was there. Quietly Obi-Wan knelt to maditate. As the two friends struggled to prove who was top dog, Wardeen entered.

"Aren't you two getting too old for such displays?" the starchie young man said. "Really."

"You just know," Antilles laughed as he pullde down Organa's arm. "That we can take you."

"I've got better things to occupy my time." Wardeen grinned. "Ask the jedi."

"Your playing with fire." Organa said now sounding moere like his royal highness. "Especially here, can't you two control yourselves."

"No we can't. Why should we. We be married next year."

"That's not he point. She's the one who will bear the shame if something happens. If you really cared about her..."

"She knows that. You my prince have led a sheltered life."

"Your friend is right." Obi-Wan said. He had seen something in his meditations. A glimps of the future. "Stay on this path and your marrage will neaver take place."

He was trying to be helpful, but it only enflamed Wardeen.

"Who the *@!! do you think you are to speek jedi." He spat like venom. "You, You've probably neaver even seen a woman."

"but I've seen your future."

"Think your going to scare me with all your moral mumbo jumbo?" Wardeen tryed to knock Obi-Wan over but with a flick of his arm Kenobi knocked him to the ground.

"No but, Every action has a result..." Obi-Wan said still kneeling.

"No ***!." Wardeen rolled over and tryed to kick the meditating jedi from the ground.

This time Obi-Wan didn't even touch him. The kick was deflected with the force.

"Please stop this." Obi-Wan asked. "You'll get hurt."

This p.o.ed Wardeen even more. He stood and lunged at the jedi's throte. Again Obi-Wan used the force and sent his attacker flying back... into Lt. Spears who had come in to see what all the yelling was about.

"What is going on here?"

"The jedi," Wardeen accused.

"You're the one I could hear all the way down the hall. What do you have to say Benobi?"

"Sir, I will defend myself when necessary." Obi-Wan told him. "I tryed not to hurt him. I asked him to stop."

"Block heads." Spears fumed. "Your both getting a warning now. Don't let me catch you fighting again or you'll be on punishment duty, Understand?"

"Yes sir." They both said.

"Tomorrow is too important for every one for you two to end up in the med-unit." Spears left.

Wardeen looked at Obi-Wan as angry as ever, but left to find his 'better' thing.

"He gets worse every day." Antilles said to Organa. "What is he thinking?"

"He's not." Organa answered. "That's the problem."

"Let's go over that formation again." Antilles said, ending any discusson of Wardeen. The two Alderaanians reviewed what they would be doing tomorrow. Obi-Wan bowed to te ancestors and climbed into his bunk. He didn't sleep though. He listened to Antilles and Organa and thought about his own part in the flight format

13. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    thought I lost this segment but it showed up.

[This message has been edited by jodiwent (edited 03-02-2000).]

14. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Yay!!!!

Kithera

15. The Butler

Oct 18, 1999
    Getting philosophical, Kenobi? (does best Emperor Palpy evil laugh imitation)

16. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Great conflicts! Not only person to person, as in Obi-Wan and Wardeen, but also in Obi-Wan's philosophy of defence against the goal of attack. I wonder what Qui-Gon is going to do to him when he shows up at the Temple. (Probably tell him to obey his superiors, attack when necessary, then grab him by his braid and march him right back to base.)

The Force must have been with me when I made the prediction that he would go AWOL, but I didn't foresee it would be because of this. Good surprise! Good undercurrents, here. I'm looking forward to more--soon!

17. HealerLeona

Jan 18, 2000
    Time for some advice from Papa Jinn?

18. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    As Obi-Wan walked through the halls of the temple other jedi who didn't know him wondered what the young man in a republic uniform was doing wandering in the temple.

"Hello pilot." a knight who didn't realize it was a fellow jedi called after Obi-Wan. "Republic pilot please stop."

"What's may I inquire is your business here?" Another asked.

Kenobi turned and pulled out his braid that he had tied up behind the other ear to hide it at the academy.

"Oh, why are you dressed like that Padawan?"

"It's a long story, I must find my master if you'll excuse me." They bowed and parted.

The uniform continued to be a point interest as Obi-Wan contiued to search for Qui-Gon. A few times he heard his name wispered. He didn't stop for anyone. He could feel Master Jinn's presence and was zeroing in on it. He found Qui-Gon teaching a class of initates on knowing where in the force an opponet could be located.

Qui-Gon was very focused on his students' force patterns that at first he didn't notice Obi-Wan's presence. It tuged at him and he looked up to see his padawan peeking through a window in the door of the training hall. He imedeatly knew all was not well, and Obi-Wan had to be awol.

"excuse me children." He said going to the door. He joined Obi-Wan in the coridor. "Obi-Wan what are you doing here?"

"Master I..." Kenobi now felt akward that he had left, but still felt he needed to talk to Qui-Gon. "I need to talk to you..."

"You don't look so good." His master noted. "Are you ill?"

"No."

"You need to talk, so talk."

"I don't know what to say. My thoughts are in conflict."

Knowing how Obi-Wan could drag things out, Qui-Gon grew unusaly inpatient. "Kneel." He commanded and knelt himself. Obi-Wan obeyed and knelt. "Relax and open your mind to me."

Obi-Wan projected his thoughts to Qui-Gon and the Master was able to see what had transpired over the last week. He knew what weighed on the padawan's mind. He also saw that Obi-Wan had mostly done well, behaving as a jedi. He also felt Obi-Wan's frustration.

"Maybe I was to hasty." Qui-Gon conceded. "Maybe you are too young." Obi-Wan's expression changed. "I just thought you were ready to handle it. You are reaching an age when you'll have to start dealing with life's problems on your own."

Qui-Gon knew how to turn his padawan's thoughts around, the stuborn young jedi now felt challanged. "Do you wish to quit?"

"Not really. I just needed to clear my head."

"Good, I don't want the funds it took to send you there wasted." It now dawned on Obi-Wan, some one had to pay his tuition at the academy. "You think this is one of my 'whims' as you call them?" Obi-Wan squirmed at Qui-Gon's retorical question. "It cost far too much to be a whim."

"I'm sorry master, I didn't realize." The young jedi apologised. "I will go back now."

"Wait, I was wrong as well," Qui-Gon admited, "to have not seen that you had what you needed when you left. I am sorry. Your things are still in your chambers, go and get what you need. Than go get something to eat. When I've finished with the little ones we will discuss the situations your facing."

"Yes master."

The two jedi stood and bowed. Obi-Wan did as he was told ad Qui-Gon went back to his teaching.

In his chambers Obi-Wan quickly grabed his thirty credis and some food and engergy capsules. He didn't like them but in a pinch they'd do. He went to his storage ares and grabed a few towels. He'd neaver been so gretfull to have towels.

He knew Qui-Gon would be a while so he couldn't help just floping down on his bed. He put on his music player and watched his verpine fighter modles he still had flying just below the celing. There was no place like home.

Obi-wan thought about what had been going on in his life at the academy. How would a knight handle these situations? In a short time he could think of better ways to handle the problems. All except the one that had finally made him go awol. If he did what the instructors expected him to... How could he explain it to them.

He shut off the music and went to the dining area that he and Qui-Gon useually

19. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Yay!!!!!

Kithera

P.S. sorry short of words this evening!

20. HealerLeona

Jan 18, 2000
    When I read Obi-Wan was wearing his republic uniform I was wondering why his friends didn't ask about Benobi

21. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Because the author was asleep at the wheel?
    or A girl can't think of everything.

Next part tomorrow. I need sleep. I promise it will be a longer section. This part isn't as developed as the beginging or the end, but I promise good stuff is on the way.

I posted a funny song tonight, check it out.

If you need an Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon fix
    check out my home page. I have some short stories there. One is when OWK is ten. Another one is when QGJ is six with a follow up 34 1/2 years later.
    http://hometown.aol.com/jodiwent/myhomepage/ http://hometown.aol.com/jodiwent/myhomepage/
    index.html

Night all.

22. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Thanks who ever fixed my URL.

[This message has been edited by jodiwent (edited 03-04-2000).]

23. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    sorry

[This message has been edited by jodiwent (edited 03-04-2000).]

24. HealerLeona

Jan 18, 2000
    I checked out your homepage and enjoyed your short stories very much. Keep posting.

25. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Qui-Gon Jinn coulsn't help thinking that his padawan was going to be having what he called one of his two year phases. Obi-Wan was most of the time his confident self but it seemed that every two years or so something would happen to throw the young jedi off ballance. It seemed to Qui-Gon that the incidents useually were braught on by Obi-Wan's refusal to see the world in any other way but black and white.

Both Qui-Gon and Yoda often teased Obi-Wan about his stuborness, yet they both knew that steadfastness was one of the padawan's greatest qualities. Once he got an idea in his head he'd never give in. Sometimes the jedi master saw his apprentice as a wild canine with a bone. He was glad that it was only on occasion that he was at the other end of that bone.

When Obi-Wan returned to the academy he wasn't sure where or who to report to. He didn't have a chance to decied, some of the provost guards saw him walking in from where he should not have been. They could tell by the collor of his uniform that he was a cadet in basic, who should not have been outside of the academy's walls.

"Cadet what are you doing out here?" The guard asked. "Your not supposed to be out here."

"I'm not going to make any excuses." The jedi told them. "I've been gone without permission."

"Around here we call that awol, absent without leave." one said. "Your suposed to at least try to sneek back in kid. Most people don't just show back up and anounce it."

"I didn't sneek out. I just left."

"Well you can't just do that." He looked at the mispelt name tag. "Benobi."

The head guard got on his com-link. "We've got a cadet Benobi here, is he on our awol list?"

"No." Was the reply.

"You may want to ask about Kenobi." Obi-Wan said. "I'm cadet Kenobi."

The guard shook his head. "How about Kenobi?"

"Yhea, flight B. They've been looking for him since this morning. Keep your wits about you, he's a jedi."

Obi-Wan snickered at the idea he'd be extra trouble because he was a jedi. He had just turned himself in after all.

"We go him."

"Bring him to the detention area, I'll contact his commander."

"Detenton area..." Obi-Wan winced. "I only went for a little, o.k. a long walk."

"Come on kid."

Kenobi reluctantly complied.

The detention area was a sterile place. Square and simple desks and chairs contained in grey walls. The guard led Kenobi to an area thet was for processing wayward cadets. At least the ones that didn't put up a fight when found. Obi-Wan was glad to see he wasn't the only one.

Along a wall of chairs five other young cadets were waiting to face their commanders. The guards told Obi-Wan to sit and wait. He thought that Lt. Spears would be there shortly, but an hour went by and none of their commanders showed up.

Another hour passed and one of the cadets was picked up. Then one commander took three of them. In another two hours the last cadet was led away. No one elce arrived. It wasn't untill six hours later, and there was still no Spears, that Obi-Wan began to worrie.

At nine p.m. the guards changed shifts. "Heay cadet." The new guard said. "It doesn't look like your commander's going to be here today."

"Can I just go back to my bunk?" Obi-Wan asked inocently.

"Your here for a reason." The guard replyed. "Did you think there would be no concequinces?"

"Of course but..."

"This says you were awol." He read off the info-scanner.

"I guess."

"If you want to sleep, you'll be doing it in a cell."

"A cell?" Obi-Wan didn't like the sound of that. A chill went up his spine. "I don't have to do I. Is it mandatory?" His apprehension was clear to the guard.

"Not if you want to sit here all night."

The jedi prefered to stay where he was. At three a.m. the guard changed again. The guard asked Obi-Wan again. "Are you sure you don't want to sleep on a bunk?"

Obi-Wan grogily shook his head, and went back to sleep in the chair.

"What's with that one?" The new guard asked. "Why didn't you put him in a cell?"

"He's only an awol, turned himself in." The guard who was leaving said. Then he wispered. "Look, the kid's a jedi, if he wan