main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The Unifying Force: The Expanded Universe Solving Plot Holes Original Trilogy Edition

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TheWatcher, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Lucas stated that Luke training with Yoda, and the disabled MF limping to Bespin, takes place over 3 months. Now if the MF was traveling near lightspeed, time would move alot slower onboard so it would not seem like 3 months to Han and the crew.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Problem is, the closer one gets to lightspeed, the more energy one needs to spend.

I prefer the "backup hyperdrive" explanation- especially in Millennium Falcon Owners Workshop Manual, which has it that the backup hyperdrive does not have all the necessary parts- it's necessary to cannibalize the main one to make the backup one work.

3. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I am sure in the Star Wars Universe all of that has been taken care of. We have never seen the Falcon fuel up, so it's safe to assume that it has a more efficient way to power the engines. Remember, the Star Wars universe and our physics... Are very different. Many of the craft in those movies wouldn't fly or would break apart.

My observations are about showing the aging process and the time pass.

4. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    True...itd be nice.

5. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    True, but doesn't Han state they have to limp using sublight engines? Sublight can mean near light speed. It just seems like that in the Star Wars films, ships can't travel faster than lightspeed in normal space, which is why they jump into hyperspace.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Star systems generally aren't less than a light year apart though- and usually more. They are in the Anoat system, and need to get to whatever system Bespin's in.

They have to start limping on sublight engines- but it was a reasonable idea, to have them limp a bit faster by making little hyperspace jumps once they got the backup to work.

7. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    OK, for the most part that makes sense. Surely, though, couldn't Han have simply paid the bounty hunter on Ord Mantell? I know he wouldn't want to draw attention to the Rebellion or any secret rebel bases, but it seems like ultimately it would have been better for both Han and the rebellion if he paid the money, the rebellion got to keep a great pilot, and everyone avoided bounty hunter entaglements.

And what's this about ESB taking place over three months? I never knew that! I mean, it always seemed like a short training session with Yoda, but I thought that was just movie logic stepping in to keep things flowing.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd like to see the quote for that- maybe it was in ESB DVD commentary?

9. Bacrof

Bacrof Jedi Master

Aug 20, 2002
    If these bounty hunters were fine,upstanding members of society whose business was regulated and who were respectful of those laws, I'm sure Han would have been more than willing to give the money to the bounty hunter on Ord Mantell with instructions to deliver it to Jabba.

But come on, we know that the people Jabba employees aren't fine, upstanding members of society and we know they aren't particularly respectful of the law. We knew they were dishonest as soon as we saw the exchange between Han and Greedo on Tatooine:

HAN: Yeah, but this time I got the money.
    GREEDO: If you give it to me, I might forget I found you.

Clearly, there's no expectation that Han can use any bounty hunter to reliably deliver payment to Jabba.

I have no idea how much time ESB spans. I never saw a reason to question how much time had passed.

10. TheWatcher

Dec 26, 2013
    Well if in a week's worth of training Luke could go toe to toe with his father then either Vader's weaker than we thought, or Luke's stronger than we thought a Force genius, or its a little bit of bad writing.

Id say its the last, and though its not a big issue having Luke feel dirty and abandoned would help cement the image that he trained for a while so when he faces Vader it makes sense he can fight evenly in some circumstances.

But to Vader's favor he wasnt dueling to kill.

11. Bacrof

Bacrof Jedi Master

Aug 20, 2002

But Luke didn't go toe-to-toe with Vader. He got his butt handed to him. We are talking about ESB, right?

12. TheWatcher

Dec 26, 2013
    Both...cause he had no further training.

13. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Why were the stormtroopers and imperial officers in the first Death Star trying to kill Han, Luke & Leia? Vader and Tarkin wanted the big 3 to escape so that they could track them down to the rebel base. Did they just forget to tell the stormtroopers about this plan?

14. Bacrof

Bacrof Jedi Master

Aug 20, 2002

The first battle showed Vader's way of handling things. Brute force, over the top, beat the boy into submission. This is how Vader approaches everything.

The second battle showed Palpatine's way of handling things. Subtle, lead the boy to the dark side, create a situation that makes him give in to his emotions. I don't think Vader was ever fighting to his fullest, even near the end when Luke overpowered him. Vader is executing Palpatine's strategy, just as Dooku was executing it years earlier in an attempt to turn Anakin. Same strategy. "You're angry. Give in to your anger. You're not going to win unless you use your emotions."

15. TheWatcher

Dec 26, 2013
    Yeah I mentioned it in my previous post, its interesting to see how Vader barely lost his third duel in the OT. 2/3 Aint bad and two of them he didnt duel to kill...impressive.

16. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Of course he didn't. If he had he likely would've lost his head like Dooku!

17. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Really? Bringing real world physics into the Star Wars galaxy?

Really..??

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Sure- the idea is that, even if there's "futuristic technology" the general laws of physics still apply- Force = mass x acceleration, and so forth.

19. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    These are the only "flaws" found in the OT?

20. TheWatcher

Dec 26, 2013
    There are many more. What do you think?

21. DarthBarrister

DarthBarrister Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2014

Were they? Seemed to me they had more than a few close-range shots and didn't so much as graze them.

22. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

The movie doesn't really do a very good job in conveying the passage of time between the Battle on Hoth and the Falcon's arrival on Bespin. Then again, conveying the passage of time during an individual movie has never been handled very well in the Saga.

23. TheWatcher

Dec 26, 2013
    Id say the most auccesful one was TPM to ATOc. And thats just because the scroll outright says ten years have passed. In the movie there's no reference to the time elapsed.

24. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It's the other way around. The opening scroll makes no reference to the time elapsed, but in Anakin's first scene, he says that he hasn't seen Padmé in ten years ;)

Memory is funny
    /LM

25. TheWatcher

Dec 26, 2013
    Ah my mistake. Youre completely right :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.