main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Unifying Force: The Expanded Universe Solving Plot Holes Prequel Edition

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by TheWatcher, Jan 7, 2014.

1. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    If Zett Juckassa went down with a fight imagine a Jedi Master.

And Im not saying the Jedi arent obligated to tell the Senate, they would I think begin to investigate who could be involved with the Sith. I know a few things, Dooku told me the Sith are controlling everything ( Mace even states they should keep a clser eye on the Senate, but they dont), an army was ordered by a Jedi who was killed, there were attempts on Padme who just wanted peace.

Itd ve very easy to conclude that the war was something somebody wanted and most probably that someone are the Sith.

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    What do you base that on? As far as I know, Jedi generally aren't in the habit of just saying things like that and not go through with them.
    I think ROTS makes it very clear that they have been watching the Senate and that they've grown increasingly suspicious of Palpatine. Asking Anakin to spy on him isn't something they do lightly. It's a huge step towards treasonous behavior. They can't just say "Let's keep a closer eye on the Senate" and then send spies all over the place. They need to be very careful in how they deal with this and they have to be sure that they're on to something before making a move as bold as spying on the Supreme Chancellor.

Samuel Vimes
    You bring up an interesting point: Yoda does say that only the Dark Lord of the Sith knows of their weakness, implying that only the Sith would've known that the Jedi wouldn't sense the creation of the clone army.
    In the draft of the script, Jango even tells Obi-Wan that he was recruited by Darth Tyranus and Obi-Wan in turn tells Mace and Yoda, upon which Yoda states that he must be a Sith if he has that forename. In that version of the story, "Sido-Dyas" was still the one who placed the order for the army. Apparently, he also requested that the Jedi's involvement be kept secret until their (Obi-Wan's) arrival.

I haven't read that draft in full, but it seems obvious that the Jedi knew for sure that the Sith were behind the clone army and still decided to go along with using it.
    The question is: Why would they do that? Well, I think that the situation was such that they couldn't not use the army. They were on the brink of war and unless they took action against the Separatists, they were dead. They had to do it to protect the Republic.

That assessment applies to the finished film, too. The Jedi and the Senate had to choose: Use an army that's been created under shady circumstances, possibly with Sith involvement, or be crushed by the Separatists. They chose what they believed to be the lesser of two evils. They chose to play along with the Sith's scheme in an effort to save as many lives as possible, all the while looking for a way to turn the tide in their own favor.
    That mistake cost them everything.

Sifo-Dyas is dead. Long live the Jedi!
    /LM