main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The 'Union' comic is one of the most fun, cheesiest, ridiculous SW stories I've ever read

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hoaxer_Poker, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't even bring myself to read anything post-NJO, even X-wing: Mercy Kill, so I completely understand being leery after hearing about them. I do want to read Union at some point, assuming I could find it.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  2. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, I have had no luck in ever finding this comic.

3. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Tough to not like a comic that has a cast of Bruce Willis, Tommy Lee Jones & Steve Buscemi in it :p

I'm not sure how much I love the book, but it isn't bad either.

It must be around, but granted I bought mine from the guy who colored the comic(Chris Chuckry) a few years back. I should ask Chris if he knows anything about the where abouts of Robert Teranishi :p

Iron_lord and JackG like this.
  4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, the comic is pretty cheesy, but also pretty funny. The bachelor party is hilarious. Slightly hard time telling everybody apart (since it had like half of Rogue Squadron there), but still pretty fun, and Luke and Han are recognizable at least. Not to mention it has Booster Terrik babysitting everybody's kids and terrifying gangsters. Also nice to just see Luke's actual wedding after all these years.

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    The only real downside to Union is that thanks to Stackpole, the dialogue can be a bit clunky at times. I'm more a fan of Whedon-speak for characters than pontification.
    I did like the lampshading of the "dire evil plot" and how it would actually work.

Thuro and Abadacus like this.
  6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Got to love the Hutt tailor, also Luke’s and Mara’s force visions/ nightmares are all kinds of disturbing and the scene with the Imperials in the Civil War museum is just depressing.

7. Hoaxer_Poker

Hoaxer_Poker Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2008

Somebody provide the guy with some Spa and Bacehlor pics, I have no idea how to pull it off.

Well, after seeing the Spa pics, I'm sure I can pull it off...

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    A fun silly comic. The blatant photo referencing of celebrities is very annoying, though.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I loved this comic -- it was like an EU reunion. Well I suppose it's more accurate to say that I loved everything except for Luke and Mara themselves, since all that was quite near nauseating.

I have to admit that the girls were more entertaining than the flyboys -- but that might be because of the reference to "imperial chic".

That reminds me, the unreconstructed Imps were my favorite of all, even though most of then looked completely ridiculous. Seriously, one of them was a Rhett Butler look-alike.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

10. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I want a Wookiee with a keg at my bachelor/bachelorette party.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Jello: Luke and Mara are always nauseating. I can't think of a scene they were in together when they weren't nauseating. Hell, they even managed to be nauseating when they were fighting beside each other in the Battle of Talfagio.

Booster Terrik babysitting? This gets better all the time. [face_laugh]

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

We all know how that would end.

jSarek likes this.
  13. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    One of my favorite Star Wars TPB's, I saw a copy of the actual series going for 950 on ebay.

14. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    to all those who can't find this beauty of a comic, my favourite most perfect comic EVER... that may be because I own all kinds of variants of it that exist (single issues, tpb, german, english etc.) so blame me for shortage on the market! :p

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    And Tommy Lee Jones portrays whom?

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    For real? I never noticed in any of the Wookieepedia pics.

Man, I really need to get this comic...

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I was kidding, I have no idea.

I could sorta see it though.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  19. Hoaxer_Poker

Hoaxer_Poker Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2008
    Seems like it was a good idea to start this thread. :D

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh. Okay, well does anyone know for real, 'cause the Corran pics don't look like TLJ. :p

21. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    hmmm and one of the girls in the spa got a Tatoo on her back.. which one was that again? can be either Iella, Tionne or Winter... and I knew this when discussing it with my cousin long ago. damn.. anybody remember? we had to compare all shots of them to see who got it.

22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I thought Solusar was Bruce Willis.

23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    yeah my bad, edited my post with another question...

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Janson is Tommy Lee Jones.

Jesus, I don't know how any of you people say you like the art.

I like a little of the casual day-to-day stuff, even though it's too Stackpoley even for me, but guys, the plot is awful. A random, utterly unexplained Moff gets so mad at Luke getting married to Mara (who is apparently powerfully symbolic of the Empire to the galaxy now despite the fact that she hasn't been associated with the Empire for fifteen years and back when she was no one in the Empire had any idea who she was and why would anybody know her secret past now anyway?) that he goes to the wedding and tries to attack it, because apparently there are no security forces anywhere ever covering the Coruscant wedding of the most famous man in the galaxy, only for Luke Skywalker to convince him to party using the power of love.

I mean, I like Hobbie-Janson-Booster hijinks, and Chewie with a keg, and Rogue ushers shooting up a swoop gang in formalwear as much as the next guy . . . but it is so awful.

Gamiel, Daala, Gorefiend and 2 others like this.
  25. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I only want to read it for the things Havac mentioned, and the fact Karrde was actually at Mara's wedding but somehow not her funeral.