main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The 'Union' comic is one of the most fun, cheesiest, ridiculous SW stories I've ever read

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hoaxer_Poker, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Hoaxer_Poker

Hoaxer_Poker Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2008

You definitely have to read it! Your life will never be the same again.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That spa scene left me needing a fluoride rinse. Mara staring at Luke's picture? They're all chatting about their men and Mara getting married? Egads.

3. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Mallatobuck should have been in those spa scenes.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The thing that struck be most about that spa scene is Leia's casual dismissal of bureaucrats. Gee sorry you hate all the people who do the hard work of government for you and can't just hire a Callibop replacement when they get tired. Entitled little brat! It's a wonder that she ever got elected, what with her casual racism in other sources too. Lady's a bigoted, hateful little traitor.

a_g: what you men women on a "girls might" or a bachelorette party would want to talk about ANYTHING other than their husbands? Get out of town!!

Also while we're posting images... the fact that Anlys Takkar was just filing her nails and giving them the answers while the dudes were fumbling around like idiots always amused me.

Also I resent the guy who called them random hillbillies. The story may be weak, the Remnant may be trash, but these Loyalists are definitely people of character and quality.

Have a thing for smeared Ewok food, do you? That's alright -- whatever, uh, impels your ship?

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

Gamiel likes this.
  5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    They're New Territories hicks. The "Royal Guard" is a Daala promotee. The henchmen are decidedly lower-class. I doubt the Moff ever held office under Palpatine; he's probably some up-jumped shipping clerk. I would think you of all people would at least demand a better class of loyalist than these ignorant, reactionary, Remnantist slobs.

jSarek and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  6. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    some questions about the spa scene...and meanwhile I know who got the tatoo :)

is it a public spa or a private one for VIPs? Because as we could see from the ballgame both genders do use it and as per mudbath and whatever apparently nudism is allowed there.

So.. did the Chief of State go naked in public or not? or was that why she got reelected after that Calibob :p

that aside, while I enjoy seing the normal life of heroes in between big epic adventures, given their celebrity status in the gffa I see way too few fans/paparazzi etc. surrounding them inuniverse whenever in a bar or whereever. how comes? hidden Noghri everywhere to shield them?

7. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    given the Daala supporters continuing being trouble post peace accords, and especially with the Shadow Academy later on... why was old Pelly still friends with Daala? he knew where she was, and what she did. so.. did Pelly KNOW she bugged the New Republic? did he secretly even support her despite the peace accords? sneaky old Imperial he is, I say he did!

though it still puzzles me that Daala even dared to work with darksiders in the Shadow Academy. She is not the type for that given her forceusershate. well given her ploy with the fake Emperor and Royal Guards which backfired.. no wonder.

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Because Traviss

9. Hoaxer_Poker

Mar 14, 2008
    I have no idea who all these people/names are you guys keep mentioning and I still enjoyed the heck out of this comic. That counts for something right?

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, I know that they're with the Remnant -- I just thought, and could be wrong remembering, that they were survivors from Palpatine's reign. If not -- then sure, I hate them and everything about them.

But if they're old-style Core World Loyalists, then it's different.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

11. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    They may be loyalists, they may even be old, but I really doubt they've got any loyalty to the Core Worlds.

12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    well... did Pelly have an affair with her like Boba.. or didn't he? We are still missing the mother of his son(s) right? guess we found her now [face_whistling] even the timeframe for his birth would fit this... and explain her absence during pregnancy :p

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Why's that?

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

14. Hoaxer_Poker

Mar 14, 2008
    You guys are really nerdying up this thread, as if it wasn't nerdy enough already!

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So Tarkin was not a one time thing, Daala clearly has a thing for older men:p

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Ignoring them is an improvement on Palpatine's approach, which was to get rid of them (or at least, a big chunk of bureaucracy) entirely, in A New Hope:

"How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?"
    "The regional governors now have direct control over their territories"

And, if you believe Daykim in Dark Apprentice (rather than Pollux Hax in The Illustrated Star Wars Universe) the Emperor had a zero-tolerance policy when it came to bureaucrats making mistakes, even minor ones.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah but that just indicates Tagge is an idiot. A bureaucracy is exactly what the Emperor used: moffs reported to Imperial Advisors, and lower level bureaucrats in turn reported to the mofference.

The XW books make clear that it was the Imperial bureaucracy that made ruling the galaxy possible -- its loss with Imperial Center cost Isard the means to govern and the Rebels were unable to operate without coöpting them in the entirety.

Leia has a peculiar disgust for the individuals who make her stupid government possible.

Gamiel likes this.
  18. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Anakin sjywalker had that position in AOTC, while talking to Padme

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe she fell afoul of the Obstructive Bureaucrat one too many times? It's far from uncommon for politicians in fiction (and possibly in real life) to have a distaste for civil servants as a result. Hacker vs Humphrey Appleby in Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister, for example.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That's SIR Humphrey. Don't be disrespectful. He's a knight.

Edit: also the fact that its a trope is the point: Leia should know better. Instead she sounds like an ungrateful churl.

Or better yet, she sounds like Thatcher.

21. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    The operatives all give the appearance of being a bunch of low-level schlubs. They're not nobles, they're not Generationals . . . they're just some schmucks who joined the army. The odds are much greater that they're from Ass End, Outer Rim than that they're slumming Essellians nursing a patriotic love of the Core (one of them is a Coruscanti bum, but that still doesn't establish the kind of Core patriotism in question). They miss the good old days of the powerful Empire, but it's from being down-on-their-luck bums who got tossed out of the military due to shrinking budgets, not from patriotism. And Moff Takkar lined his pockets out of His Imperial Majesty's treasury, so he's no patriot.

Sure, they're loyalists of a sort, and Takar is even kind of a snob . . . but they're the absolute bottom barrel of loyalists. Guys the Remnant downsized who just miss a steady paycheck and a crooked Outer Rim moff who just misses other people's paychecks.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The real problem politicians have with the Civil Service is, while it will try its best to put their damn-fool ideas into practice, they will also flag up exactly how impossible the request is, how impractical, overly costly and inefficient it actually is.

Case in point the UK's open data czar wanted data released no matter what, civil servants argued against it citing the need for quality assurance, the response? If the data's bad the public community will help fix it! How naive can you get? No, the public will not help fix it, they'll ask why their taxes are being spent on bad slapdash work and the UK government's open data reputation in terms of quality will be on par with a sewer!

Gamiel and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  23. Hoaxer_Poker

Mar 14, 2008
  24. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    We are missing the mother for one son, presuming that Vitor Reige is his son(not just a lookalike or even clone). If Pellaeon & Daala were to have a romance that resulted in a child it would have meant Vitor was 21-22 during Force Heretic.

Overall I think it is highly unlikely.

25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Wasn't Vitor Reige supposed to be pretty young, though?