main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Unknown Regions in the new canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MillenniumFalcon2015, Jul 17, 2015.

1. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    The Unknown Regions has always fascinated me because of their mystery and their mysterious threats ever since I read about them in Tim Zahn's Vision of the Future. But now that the canon has been rebooted I would like to see some new stories set in the UR especially in the Sequel Trilogy era. I wonder if we'll ever see Thrawn and or the Chiss and the UR in the ST movies or bridge novels especially the novels set between ROTJ and TFA including the upcoming Aftermath trilogy.

It would be awesome to see in a future ST era novel where the First Order teams up with Thrawn and the Chiss and takes on the Resistance or Rey,Finn and/or Poe Dameron from TFA venture into the UR and encouter the Chiss and/or confront multiple threats there with the help of the Chiss. I hope they bring Timothy Zahn to write a new hardcover trilogy set between ROTJ and TFA or between TFA and Episode VIII or even between Episodes VIII and IX and have our new heroes or even the Big Three from the OT have new adventures in the Unknown Regions sometime in 2016,2017 or 2018.

In the new Tarkin novel from James Luceno Tarkin has an expedition into the UR and one character from the novel Berch Teller says the Empire might spread into the UR. Will we see the Empire conquer new worlds in the UR in future novels whether they're set between ROTS and ANH or during the OT or after ROTJ and before TFA or even in between TFA and Episode VIII or Episodes VIII and IX or even after the ST before the potential SST(Episodes X-XII)? Will we even see the UR in the ST itself on the big screen if not TFA then Episodes VIII or IX?

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Zahn's works are all Legends now and it's unlikely any of his creations will ever make their way back into the Star Wars universe. That author doesn't really understand the nature of the Force, and his ridiculous creations like the ysalamiri are gone from this fandom forever.

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah screw that guy

BigAl6ft6 and DarthStymi like this.
  4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Unknown Regions have nothing to do with the nature of The Force or with the Ysalamiri.

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Bizarre anti-Legends rants aside, it is likely that it will probably play roles in spinoff material - I doubt they could resist using the classic 'invaders from outside the known galaxy' story. Probably not on the scale of the NJO, though. And it's already been confirmed that Ilum is located in the Unknown Regions for what it's worth.

Zorrixor and Iron_lord like this.
  6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    bring back the tofs

MercenaryAce and Gamiel like this.
  7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Man, Lit is weirder than usual tonight.

8. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    ITS FLASHBACK FRIDAYS AT LIT!

Zorrixor and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    [​IMG]

10. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    The Unknown Regions are a must for future novels. It would be awesome if they were seen in the ST or the SST or any of the anthology films. Now that the EU is rebooted the UR are mysterious and are ripe for new novels to be about them perhaps we'll see the Chiss again or the Tofs and Nagai or even some new species that invades the GFFA sometime between ROTJ and TFA with their awesome fleets of warships and starfighters. It would be aweome if we saw Nuso Esva again from Choices of One. Perhaps Tim Zahn will do a novel where there is a conflict between Thrawn and Esva this time closer to the ST era and Nuso Esva is not killed off earlier after ROTJ where Luke and co. and the Resistance fleet even including Poe Dameron go up against Thrawn's fleet and Nuso Esva's fleet as well as the First Order Fleet in the UR.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Ha it been established what the Unknown Regions are or have we just had the name mentioned in the new canon?

12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Mostly just name-dropped in Tarkin. Ilum from TCW is located in the UR but I don't know if that was mentioned in the episode or established later.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So, for all we know right now is something called the 'unknown region' exist but have no idea what it is?

What do people think it will be in the new canon? Personally like the idea of it being the name of farther away wild space, the part of the galactic map that have HC SVNT DRACONES written over it .

14. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    There are no Unknown Regions. Remember AotC? "If it isn't in our charts, it doesn't exist (until it has been erased)."

Force Smuggler and Vialco like this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    We have to remember that even if they have been able to create a perfect map of the galaxy with all its stars and systems so dose that not mean that they all have been identified or mapped for travel. It is also possible that Master Nu was referring to known systems.

spicer and Gorefiend like this.
  16. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Though it could now also just be some name tag left over from older days, hard to say. ESB after all also points out that they might have charted a lot, but hardly have a clue what is actually there or what has moved in in recent times.

Gamiel likes this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Also, Jocasta Nu is a nitwit. She is to her job as Mace is to his.

BigAl6ft6, jasonfry and DurararaFTW like this.
  18. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    No. She may be arrogant (as Yoda stated the Jedi had become), but there's absolutely nothing to indicate that she's wrong.

If I may include some points from another thread: There was nothing in the movies implying that vast expanses of the galaxy, much less almost half of it, were unexplored. (If such large areas were unexplored, the Alliance could've hidden away where the Empire could never have found them, but still both their main bases in the movies were located in chartered systems known to the Empire. Why? Simply because the galaxy is chartered.)

The PT made this even more clear: In addition to Madame Jocasta, Grievous doesn't take off hiding in some "Unknown region". In fact, that is never even raised! Master Mundi reports to the Council:
    To this, Yoda replies:

"Hiding in the Outer Rim", "outlying systems". The Outer Rim is of course the "Outer Rim" with the outlying systems of the galaxy, not of the Republic. The possibility that Grievous might have found a better place to hide in the "Unknown regions" doesn't occur to Yoda etc. because there are no "Unknown regions". (The real-world explanation to this is of course that it didn't exist to George Lucas and was a pure EU-invention that was allowed to grow too much.)

19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    If your point is "George Lucas didn't think there were Unknown Regions", I can't really argue, but that's irrelevant, because they're canon now. [face_dunno]

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But we don't know what it is, it could just be the SW version of somebody today calling Africa 'the Dark Continent' thereby showing Tarkin,or whoever said it, being colonial/racists.

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Point. Ultimately I think it's just Unknown in the sense that it's not mapped and named like the Republic proper is. When Jocasta says "if Kamino isn't in my archive, it doesn't exist" she's saying "no known planet has ever been given this name"; that has no bearing on whether some undiscovered planet--in the UR or anywhere else--might go by that.

Darth Sophis and Gamiel like this.
  22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Ultimate Star Wars.

Since that isn't true in either Legends or NEU, you really don't have anything left to be wrong about.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    As much as I like the Thrawn-trilogy, it was a poor literary device introduced in the EU to make it possible to branch out. It should've stayed Legacy because it has no basis whatsoever in what's been established by the movies.

24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Thanks Luceno

25. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    I hope we see the UR in the Aftermath trilogy. They're ripe for stories there. It would be awesome since the Empire becomes the First Order maybe they go to the UR to perhaps find new ships, new shipyards to build more Star Destoryers to strengthen their fleet and new technologies from civilizations there as well as acquire new allies like Thrawn or Nuso Esva and his fleet of ships to help them fight the New Republic and the Chiss could either help the weakened Empire or become allies with the New Republic a lot earlier now the canon is rebooted.

I wonder if maybe the New Republic and the new heroes of the Aftermath trilogy and even the Empire will go to the UR and go on a treasure like hunt and find a mysterious long lost fleet of ships and whoever gets it will strengthen their fleet similar to Tim Zahn's Dark Force Rising.

Since Berch Teller in the novel Tarkin mentions the Empire will spread to the UR will we see future classic era novels or intertrilogy novels between ROTS and ANH set in the UR. Maybe young Luke,Han and Leia will have an adventure or two in the UR in a future book set between ANH and TESB or perhaps Lando and Chewie accidently end up in the UR and have an adventure there too while looking for Han Solo and Luke and Leia come to the UR to help in a future book set between TESB and ROTJ. That would be exciting. I hope we see such future books from Del Rey in 2016 and beyond outside the bridge novels between ROTJ and TFA and novels between TFA and Episode VIII and novels between Episodes VIII and IX. But of course I hope those bridge novels or many of them will be set in the UR too and I hope there is a new trilogy by Tim Zahn there with Thrawn in new adventures as he teams up with the Empire becoming the FIrst Order perhaps teaming up with Captain Phasma or General Hux or Kylo Ren against the New Republic becoming the Resistance.