main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The (Unofficial) Celebration Europe 2 thread: The Fandom Strikes Back

Discussion in 'Archive: FanForce Conventions Europe' started by ForceGhostOfCozmic, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    My bets are on for somewhere outside of the UK for the next one. UK has had it's chance (and there are things why I feel it won't get a second go so soon) - the only problem I can forsee outside is finding a common language (and not English) used by all attendees to the country. Anyone speak Bocce? :p

2. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    That's the only problem I can see, finding a common language. But I hate to think that because of a few problems this year would put off LF from coming to the UK again.

3. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I think the biggest problem was lack of space and the organisation of it. It's not a big problem to overcome, they could use more of the south side or open the north side and use that as well.

As for common language, I'd suggest French or German. I learnt French up until GCSE, and I did German for a year while I was at school. I'd imagine that French people would learn either English or German and that Germans would learn English or French. At very least it wouldn't be too hard to find someone who does speak either.

4. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    I suck at other languages, and saying that I suck at English at the best of times lol. I'm going to need a protocol droid :p

5. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    Have CE2 in Glasgow here:

http://www.secc.co.uk/planning/exhibitions/ but what's best about the SECC is that attached to it is the Clyde Auditorium http://www.secc.co.uk/images/gallery/clyde/clyde_stage_left.jpg and no one is going to miss a Mark Hamill or Rick Macallum talk in this baby!

And we speak English (well kind of! [face_laugh] )

6. PhantomJediUK

PhantomJediUK Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    I'm all for it back in the UK. If it was held abroad I'd have a tough time convincing my
    wife to travel abroad twice for Star Wars, as we'd definitely be at CV.

I think as someone else has said though that it's going to be Excel for the next one anyway, so I guess it'd be whatever celebrations happen beyond that.

But I agree the North hall could be opened up a lot more and some of the South Hall could be used too. But, you know, it's the first show - bound to have teething problems, hopefully they will be aware of these for next time.

Obi

7. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Just as long as we don't have it in Wales... I love the place, but can you imagine the 'tourists' trying to find their way to Clkajjyyyywlkaind?

[face_laugh]

8. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch? :p

9. Grand_Admiral_Grant

Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 30, 2004
    They should pick Amsterdam. The nightlife there beats any other place. [face_mischief]

10. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    I'm sure the Welsh made that up to get back at us Brits :p

Oh if you want somewhere else to hold it, I know Liverpool has room for it here :p (though I know it'll never happen lol)

11. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Amsterdam would be a nice place. I'd like to go back.

According to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.co.uk it means:

Saint Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio of the red cave.

12. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    If anyone could teach it. :p

Nah... Why do you think another common language is needed? IIRC the jedi-con in 2004 was held mostly in English. Not sure why exactly, but for sure one reason was the celebrities, who just speak English. ;)

So my guess will be that CE2 will be place somewhere else in Europe and the common language will be English once more. :)

13. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Don't. Mention. "Hostel". In front. Of me. :mad: :mad: :mad: There's been a great deal of outrage back home because of how "Slovakia" is portrayed (never mind that it's filmed in Czech Republic; after all, stupid Americans can't make a difference between the two, can they? :rolleyes: ).

Anyway, there's no problem getting around with English in Prague - most of the people speak it (especially where you need it - staff at banks and hotels, waiters in restaurants and bars, shop assistants...). And in summer, you can get some really cheap accomodation - all university dormitories are used as cheap hotels, so you can get accomodation for cca 7 - 10 GBP per night. Heck, everything is much cheaper than in the UK - unless you want to dine in 5* restaurants in the city centre... :p

14. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    In which case it'll set you back around the price of a cheap McDonalds in England? :p

15. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    wow, that's still a bit of mouth full :p

16. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Don't anyone get me wrong, I'd love to see it in the UK again, but I also feel that we have had our go, we can't keep hold of it and be selfish, so it should be someone else's turn next time, it's Celebration Europe afterall, not Celebration UK - and I think it's time we all appreciated Europe more - and visited it. I spent a lot of the last so many years visiting the US, and I am chuffed I'll be able to attend more European based events now such as Jedi Con next year, and hopefully Paris this year.

With that goes my concern over language - I am pleased that people who have English as a second language are happy to use it, it's great, but I also feel bad that it's often "forced" (bad word, but only one I can think of atm) on people when various nationalities mix up, maybe it's just my reaction to the whole rule britannia of the past, I don't think it should dominate anywhere, we are equals, etc. If that makes any sense. I also feel dumb because I am limited to one language (tho I am correcting that with the help of a friend) whereas a lot of people attending CE from outside the UK know at least two languages and more - extremely impressive.

17. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Just kidding, girl, forgot to put a :p or ;) at the end of my remark. Both countries are quite beautiful and I can understand why tourism is booming there.

But as far as CE2 goes, Amsterdam's the place to be :D.

18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    [face_laugh]

Not really, in fact McDonalds is only slightly cheaper than in England, AFAIK (not that I ever go there - I think I did once or twice in my first year at the uni, but that's all). The best are the cheap Chinese restaurants - they usually cook quite well, and they're ridiculously cheap - about £1.50-£2.00 for a meal, and the portions are HUGE. And other restaurants are pretty cheap, too, once you move a bit further from the centre, where (because of all the foreign rich tourists ;)) everything is extremely expensive. And sandwiches that you can buy in grocery stores and kiosks cost around £0.80 - you don't get that in London... :p

And don't get me started on alcohol... :p

I know, but I'm really touchy when it comes to the "Hostel" movies, because they really represent the (average) ignorant American view on Eastern Europe. When I was an exchange student in the States (8 years ago), people would ask me (quite seriously) what kind of clothes we wore in Slovakia, or whether we had computers or colour TVs, or whether we knew Pepsi. At first, I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, be outraged or shocked - it took me a good deal of training in patience to get above it... :p

19. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Another reason to go there... 80p for a sandwich... wow. And cheap Chinese food = [face_love]

How much would decent halusky cost in a restaurant then? :p

20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Decent halusky in Prague is an oxymoron by itself... :p ;) Wait, you said "decent", not "good"... :p 'Cause if you want them really good, you have to go to Slovakia, after all, it's our national food, not Czech - although you can get bryndza in all supermarkets.

So, um, I don't know, I never had them in Prague, but some restaurants might have them... In Slovakia they cost around £2 - £3, depending on the quality of the restaurant (in cheaper restaurants the bryndza is usually "watered down" with cream or other, cheaper cheese).

21. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Hmm, that's an idea. CE2 in Bratislava :p

22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh, please, no, Blava sucks... :p Prague = teh [face_love] :cool: [face_dancing]

23. Grand_Admiral_Grant

Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 30, 2004
    Most important question: what is the price of beer there Maria.

24. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Who cares? It's Czech beer! :p

25. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I think the cheapest is around 20-25 crowns, which equals about 50-70p (and that's a "large" beer, half a litre). Again, price varies a lot with the location of the bar/restaurant and of course the type and quality of beer...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.