main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA The Upcoming Remakes and Reboots Thread

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Harlock415, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Love 'em or hate 'em. Remakes are not going away from the movie screens any time soon. This thread exists to log the many remakes and reboots coming our way. Sometimes remakes and reboots work. The reboot of the Batman franchise definitely worked for example. Martin Scorsese's Departed was pretty good for a remake of Infernal Affairs. Then there are others that just make you shake you head. Recently we saw remakes of Friday the 13th, Halloween, and Last House on the Left.

Some movies to uh...look forward to.

The Neverending Story
    Drop Dead Fred
    Land of the Lost
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3
    Clash of the Titans
    Cliffhanger
    The Karate Kid produced by Will Smith and Starring Jackie Chan and Jada Smith [face_worried]
    Fright Night
    Escape From New York
    Grayskull a reboot of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
    Inglorius Basterds new Tarantino

There are bound to be others, including the rumored Monster Squad, Top Gun, and even Red Sonja. 47 Ronin is constantly being remade in Japan, but supposedly this time with Keanu Reeves. There is a rumor that Sam Raimi will do an American remake of House of Flying Daggers too.

So what are people looking forward to? :D Post your opinions along with any other remake and reboot news you may have.

2. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000

They're remaking Cliffhanger? Why? It's not even that old school, actually... It didn't even have a school. Grayskull maybe cool if they do it right... Karate Kid just maybe epic fail since Jackie Chan does not specialize in karate! The Never Ending story maybe cool but it can also be an epic fail too.

3. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    But wait, there's more!

RED DAWN is coming!

4. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    FOOTLOOSE
    Plot Summary: Based on the original 1984 "Footloose." The new version will feature new songs that will complement some of the memorable original tunes from the film that made Kevin Bacon a star.
    http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=50058

There seems to e a pattern here of remaking 80's movies. Almost everything on the list is from that era.

Robert Rodriguez's Predators
    http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=54800
    Release Date: July 7, 2010
    Studio: 20th Century Fox
    Director: Robert Rodriguez
    Screenwriter: Robert Rodriguez
    Plot Summary: Robert Rodriguez and 20th Century Fox are giving Predator a facelift in a new film entitled "Robert Rodriguez's Predators." (no plot details available at this time)

Not a movie remake, but look for a television revival of V starring Alan Tudyk and Morena Baccarin

5. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Because we deserve it I guess:

The Last Dragon Directed by The RZA and starring Chris Brown and Samuel L. Jackson :rolleyes:

The Wariors by Tony Scott who has brought us remakes of The Taking of Pelham 123 and The Andromeda Strain. He will also be bringing us a reboot of the Alien Franchise with a new Prequel.

And then there's Girls Just Want to Have Fun which dfies any sort of reason.

6. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    LOL! The Last Dragon?! hahaha.... Let's eat our pop corn with chopsticks! :p Sho nuff! hahaha...

7. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Now there's talk of redoing Saturday Night Fever?! C'mon! :mad:

8. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Hollywood has officially run out of ideas... lol

9. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Here is the trailer for FAME
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=56325

And the Bride of Frankenstein is being remade http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=56344

10. Ms_Skywalker

Ms_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    I wonder who would play He-Man! If his sister She-Ra is in it I"m goin fa'sho!

11. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    You know what they should remake? Top Gun!

But instead of F-16s or F-22s they should Incom T-65 X-wing! Oh and instead of Migs they should use Siennar Fleet's Twin Ion Engine fighters! OH! and instead of Top Gun they should called it Rogue Squadron. :D

12. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    I thought the remake of Footloose is based on the stage musical not the movie?
    And speaking of "V", can't wait to see the pilot at Comic-Con! :D

13. Nebelwerfer

Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2008
    I hope GL does special editions for the prequels

14. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    GL probably won't but maybe Adywan will. ;) It'd be nice if they did actually CG Yoda for Episode I, at least. I didn't like that new puppet they used. ILM did do a test of a CG head on the puppet body on one of the AOTC or ROTS DVD featurettes, I think. It looked waaay better!

15. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

16. _Master-Skywalker_

_Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2005
    Just thought I'd drop in on you guys again :D

OMG, I had no idea they were remaking some of those movies !!

17. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

18. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    OK, this is just uncalled for:

http://bit.ly/AQrV4

I actually think Rain is cool, even if he's not a genuinely trained martial artist(as can be seen by the trailer for Ninja Assassin), but YOU DO NOT REMAKE Enter the Dragon!

Excerpt from article:
    In development for two years, AWAKEN THE DRAGON is a noir-style remake of Bruce Lee?s 1973 film. Back in 2007, Sutter stated that it will be a contemporized drama about a lone FBI agent who pursues a rogue Shaolin monk into the bloody world of underground martial arts fight clubs.

To fill the role of the Shaolin monk, Sutter had been looking to discover a fight star while an established American actor would play the FBI agent.

So the Asian guy is supposed to be the villain and the White guy is supposed to be the lead? Whereas Enter the Dragon had Bruce Lee as an agent infiltrating an Asian crime boss's operation. Enter the Dragon was supposed to be Bruce Lee's big debut to Western audiences and show that an Asian could be a lead hero. Unfortunately by the above description, it's an insult to what Lee stood for.

19. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I thought the V remake looked potentially interesting. You can only judge so much by a pilot episode, but at least it wasn't terrible. Some of the core concepts are the same as the original, but there's also a lot of new stuff and some twists on a couple of the original concepts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.