main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    He announced yesterday he's not running for re - election in 2018.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Were you one of those who, when Abu Grahib abuses came to light, said "but what Saddam did was worse!" ?

3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    this is a good book that explains why Trump really won and the culture of middle America and small town USA,
    Ron Howard is directing the movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

4. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
  5. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    If you hate my pic posts so much, I am sure this site has an "ignore" or some such similar feature, which you can go ahead and use.

Calling me out on open board like this only makes me like you less, and thus less inclined to take advice from you, if we can refer to the above as that.

FWIW, I already extensively use the "spoiler" in my posts. I nust happen to hate posting long, unillustrated walls of text. It's ugly and boring and unpleasant, to me. I like to dec9rate my postings. Sorry if that offends your delicate soul...

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Are these pointless multiple exclamation points because you are completely terrified that Opie is directing this or because you know he will turn it into sanctimonious dreck?

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's more just thinking about other people and not yourself.

If they're using 4G and have mobile data caps, maybe downloading roughly 1,200 photos of Russians standing around being Russian is something they would consider a "less than ideal" use of their downloads.

It's also having to scroll for half an hour to get to the next post, which affects all users.

Basically it's a question of do you care about the two way street of posting in a community forum, or is it more important to obnoxiously satisfy your own decorative urges?

So sure, delicate souls etc.

8. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    Ok, ok, I gotcha. No problem.

Just, I'm still getting used to this place, honestly, still learning the ropes and the rules here.

Thanks for patience. :)

9. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Basically When people put "!!!" or more exclamation marks it means you are excited or happy I really am not the only person that does it. the more exclamation marks you put the more excited you are! instead of getting off topic why not comment to my post about why Trump won and Hillbilly Elegy? what are your feelings on the book, have you read It or heard about It?
    but as we know Trump is all about distraction and doing nothing to further the country in any way. I would think the Hillbilly's the book talks about aren't even smart enough to read the book hope no offense taken there my friends I am not talking about anyone on here we can all read just fine or we wouldn't be on a message board;)

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Chaffetz is apparently now saying, the day after announcing he won't run for re-election to spend more time with his family (and registering a 2028 website), that he might even Resign from Congress first and is open to television gigs...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rep-chaffetz-floats-idea-may-resign-term-ends-161229616.html

He makes no sense...

Oh, and our great Attorney General says he can't believe that Hawaii is just as much a part of the United States as the other 49 states, marveling that some judge from an "island in the Pacific" can have the power to stop the travel ban.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...582e4b00fa7de1292d1?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

11. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    What? Is the guy immortal? I thought Tom Cruise was the only one.... guess they'll have to fight now.

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    When things like this happen, I think of a particular scene from L.A. Confidential. In this case, I wonder how close to reality it is. It seems very apt as a potential comparison or explanation.

unicorn and Scapro Tyler like this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  14. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Surprising no one, Georgia is trying to suppress voters in the 6th district runoff.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Well let's see what the new attempt at healthcare will be

It allows states to seek a waiver to get rid of the Affordable Care Act’s prohibition on charging higher premiums to people with preexisting conditions, on the condition that states set up or participate in high-risk pools that would help cover any of those people who lose insurance. It would also restore to the GOP bill the ACA’s requirement that insurers cover Essential Health Benefits (EHBs) — such as doctor’s and emergency room visits and maternity care — but allow states to seek waivers from them.

Oh isn't that great. I wonder if we'll get another round of town hall meetings.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Given insurance is all about ensuring risk, I'm not sure why charging people more for PECs is controversial?

17. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Because 1) The sick people are the ones less able to work as much. Therefore the sicker they are, the harder it is to pay for their healthcare and 2) This opens the door to denying people coverage again based on said pre-existing conditions.
    And frankly 3) Some people can't help that they got sick. It's either genetics or bad luck. You are essentially charging them a penalty because of it. And in the case of some, that's as good as condemning them to die.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    OK, but that's not what I asked. We've never as a country excluded coverage based on PECs, unless the PEC is not disclosed upfront (and may have resulted in revised terms). But, you are ensuring risk. A PEC means higher risk of claim, so higher premiums are justified. At no point does what you said actually make sense or logically follow, that it opens the door to denying coverage. Well, in a sensible country anyway...

19. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    And that is your error. The United States healthcare system is a business. There's far more interest in making money over the wellbeing of our citizens. And therefore, those who drain the most money while contributing the least (aka the sickest) are the first ones to suffer because of pre-existing conditions that most of them cannot help. It's essentially discrimination based on health. The ACA eliminated that and leveled the playing field by allowing affordable care for all. What Republicans are saying is they are still providing access to healthcare, just not affordable healthcare. Essentially that condemns the sickest to death. Now, if this "access" was followed up by robust bills to lower the cost of prescriptions and procedures, then this might make some sense. But, logically if you ask someone who is too sick to work to pay more for their treatment, what do you think happens? They can't afford it eventually, get sicker and die. Or, the burden for paying for treatment shifts to family, they get financially ruined and if they get sick, now they are in the same boat.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "There's far more Interest in making money than the well-being of our citizens" covers pretty much everything the United States does now.

21. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    How is that we are talking about the PEC portion and not that states could seek to waive emergency and maternity care. How does that work?

"Sorry your insurance no longer covers ER visits because the state of X has determined that we don't need to. ENJOY THE BILL"

22. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Silly Ender, you know the United States is not a sensible country. [face_shame_on_you]

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Apparently Sanders is getting a lot of criticism from the left (and DNC) for campaigning for a progressive Democrat in Nebraska who's pro-life
    http://www.npr.org/2017/04/20/52496...campaigning-for-anti-abortion-rights-democrat

If you want to win in Nebraska, getting someone elected who's progressive on economic issues, who's progressive on criminal justice issues, who's progressive on environmentalist issues, whose only "conservative" stance is being anti-abortion (and he's not running with it on his platform as mayor, https://heathmello.com/issues/)... that's a pretty good deal, to me.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I read somewhere today that Mello said he wouldn't try to impose his pro-life views as mayor, and if that's true, I don't particularly care. I would guess that Nebraska has only a handful of abortion providers anyway, and that's not because of the mayor of Omaha.

Ghost likes this.
  25. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Any Democrat who criticizes Sanders for campaigning for Mello but applauded Hillary's selection of Kaine really needs to look at their self in a mirror.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.