main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    < This is my shocked avatar.

[​IMG]

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Folks, you can just right click the image, save it, and upload to imgur.

3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

Libertarian Communism is an oxymoron

Yeah, I know. Shouldn't take this quiz too seriously...

heels1785 and Rew like this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Communism isn't necessarily communism as practiced by the USSR and PRC. Theoretically it means an absence of a state at the "final stage," hence "libertarian." Generally speaking anarcho-communists/etc.-ists want to skip the middle "stages."

I hope I'm explaining this right. Don't want to fail my next purity test.

Ghost and Ramza like this.
  5. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014

Libertarian Capitalism is an oxymoron, Libertarian Communism is a redundancy.

The authoritarian "Dictatorship of the Proletariat" was supposed to be a transitional stage, based on theory that I and many others reject, and ultimately created / was subverted by a military/bureaucratic elite who then embraced imperialism and state capitalism.

6. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

Yeah, I know.

7. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Between the 1940s and 1980s, the proliferation movement had a lot of traction. Some have argued that if world powers possess nuclear weapons, that prevents war by virtue of the states' owning such terrible weapons at all. No nation has utilized them since 1945 (us against Japan, something that I think was fueled by mutual desperation and, in the USA government's case, implicit or subconscious racism). There has been a lot of fear that Trump or Kim will use weapons. I can understand the MAD argument: That if no nation possessed nukes, then warfare would again become more common for the Western world. But war is common on other continents, and that's the tragedy, especially for civilians. I'm not just talking about what's going on in Asia and Africa. But many parents in the US and other Western countries now fear for their children's well-being as along as we have dangerous leaders like Trump, Putin, Kim, and others. Typically, conservative leaders are more cause for alarm than liberal ones, though I'm sure a few so-called liberals like Tony Blair frightened people when they joined with Bush.

In the end, I can see why relative pacifism and absolute pacifism are loved by opponents of racism, sexism, the hetero-patriarchy's hate, and the T.E.R.F.s' hate. History has made me hopeful in that pacifism is now the most popular form of protest in the US and other countries. During the late 19th century and early 20th century, more people preferred to protest with violence than now.

Rew likes this.
  8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'll just go ahead and explain it cause i'm already behind now on 4 JCCers in terms of Red purity. No sense in you losing points.

Communism is the final stage, and it's a stateless classless society. The idea of people having rights, which is what the libertarian aspect is for in this 8venues quiz, is absolutely compatible with Communism.

9. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Communism is the adolescent stage.

10. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    On another note, it appears that the NRA will now push for a federal law requiring concealed-carry permits from one state to be honored in any other state. Yay.

Anyone still think McConnell won't gut the legislative filibuster sometime in the next four years?

11. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I giggled. So true. We all may feel a little authoritarian after a while if we want to do right when others do wrong. Gotta love these threads for their freedom of expression and thought-provoking stuff.

Btw, does net neutrality fall under "U.S. Politics?" I'm concerned about the government making rules for the Internet and corporations now. Websites like this have reasonable censorship, and certainly, a place like this is safer than FB, Instagram, or Twitter. (Those websites can be like the Wild West for some people. Glad I've never run into any trouble on FB or Insta, but Twitter, yes. Could never deal with it. I deleted mine in 2013.) But it seems best when people make rules for themselves. The Trump administration is certainly authoritarian and, well, corporatist, evidently.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  13. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I hear this lot from Americans, but from a Briton..

Please hand in your passport to the nearest Ender Station.

14. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    My thread... you see, my thread had the most replies, most pages in history. You could say that. I'd say that. See, I'm good at what I do.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  16. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Well friends, after 100 days how do you feel about Mango Mussolini?

I feel the same as in day 1: scared for humanity

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  18. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Yo, this isn't scary at all...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/28/trump-proclaims-may-1-as-loyalty-day.html

19. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I'm just waiting for the equivalent of Tarkin to say, "I have just received word that the Emperor...I mean, President has dissolved..."

20. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

It's actually been an official holiday since 1958.

ShaneP and Jester J Binks like this.
  21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't find it the least bit scary. Trump can declare Evil Day, and we can ignore him.

I don't think Trump can enforce obedience, or make anyone do anything they don't want to do, by declaring Loyalty Day.

It's not so simple as declaring a day a certain thing and that thing coming into being. Declaring something does not make it so.

Trump can call May 2 Laundry Day, that doesn't mean anyone has to do their laundry that day.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'll respect our men and women of the military the same way I do any other day, by doing what I can to fight against their being sent into pre-emptive wars for money.

Trump thinks that declaring something makes it so, which is hilarious. And sad, given that he has no idea how the structure of our government or the system of checks and balances work.

23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, it's part of this country's longstanding tradition of trying to trivialize May Day post-Haymarket. For reference, here's Obama's order from last year.

Now you could certainly argue that it's pretty ****ed up that our government would try to make "Loyalty Day" a thing in the first place, but in the grand tapestry of uncomfortable nationalism this is just a stitch.

24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

It'll never happen, but nonetheless I wish the whole 100 days benchmark would disappear from the political landscape... it's just too much arbitrary nonsense in a system full of it.

Opinion on Trump? The same disbelief as felt on Election Night last year. Surreality is the new reality. :p This administration feels like/will go along like dog years; these 4+ months feels like it's been well over a year already.

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    To quote Marty McFly in BTFF 3, "He's an *******!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.