main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    People always confuse tolerance with acceptance. I've said it before and I don't get it. No one owes anyone else an acceptance of their views. You can tolerate it but completely reject it/not accept it.

I think J-Rod seeks validation of his views and/or acceptance.

While people are completely disagreeing and not accepting his views, they are still tolerating them.

You are still posting here J-Rod.

2. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    All I know is that I've seen time after time where someone voices a personal opinion and is practically beat up over it. I'm not one of those people, but it has happened quite a bit. That's all I'm saying.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nobody is getting beat up. People are blunt around here but if there is any "beating up" against the TOS, we handle it.

Strong or harsh disagreement does not constitute "getting beat up."

4. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh please. Do not accuse people's complete disagreement over a view shared by a minority here as equal to physical violence. That is absurd.

5. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Republicans cheating to win? Preposterous! Everyone knows they are the saviors of the country and every win is a gift from God!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-supreme-court-tosses-republican-drawn-districts-north-141528298.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday ruled that Republicans in North Carolina unlawfully took race into consideration when drawing congressional district boundaries, concentrating black voters in an improper bid to diminish their overall political clout.

6. MrMojoRisin

Jun 20, 2005
    Point made.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My former congressional district is shaped like a snake. I'm not making this up.

My district is mostly African American.

Yeah, we're gloating here on that victory, given the horror show that the statewide GOP has run.

MrMojoRisin : ShaneP 's comment about not comparing disagreement to physical violence is in no way comparable to his actually initiating physical violence against you.

8. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

So will that result in fewer black lawmakers being elected? There are two sides to having majority black districts. One is what SCOTUS ruled on, the other is you might have fewer black lawmakers elected if the districting is redrawn. Personally, I think the ruling was correct but it might have the consequence, at least short term, of fewer black lawmakers elected.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    "practically beat up" = challenged on their stances, or asked to explain their posts

this isn't a blog

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    ShaneP I'm not concerned about that, as the black lawmakers from here are well supported by liberal-leaning white people as well.

11. MrMojoRisin

Jun 20, 2005

In my defense, I didn't go back and read the history of his posts. I saw the one where he mentioned that anyone who posts an opinion that differs from the majority of people on here gets yelled at by a lot of people. Sorry, but he's right. If he meant anything other than that by that statement than I suppose I misread it.

J-Rod likes this.
  12. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Yeah I mean some of the fallout to the 60s was this desire from black folks to be represented in Congress and that meant, in many cases, electing African American congresspersons. So hopefully this ruling doesn't have an unintended consequence of dispersing the black vote across white majority districts resulting in white congresspersons elected at the expense of black lawmakers.

MrMojoRisin, you said people vehemently disagreeing here resulted in people "practically beaten up for it". I said that statement of yours comparing disagreement with physical violence was absurd. And it is absurd.

Disagreement is just that. That's literally all it is. Toleration doesn't mean people need to accept your views and not disagree with them.

13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    a fun analysis of the impeachment odds for Trump. Nate Silver looks at the following factors:

1. The seriousness of the alleged offenses.
    -obstruction of justice alone is a plausible grounds for impeachment

2. The partisanship of pivotal votes in Congress.
    -very partisan, offers a high level of protection for Trump

3. The president’s popularity.
    -has declined rapidly over the past 2 weeks, but is volatile.
    -Nixon had an approval rating in the 20s when he resigned. Trump is at 39%.
    -Trump has an approval rating above 50% in some key red states

4. The president’s relationship with Congress.
    -within the GOP, complicated and volatile, but he has the support of Ryan and McConnell for now.

5. Party control of Congress.
    -Republican
    -A Democratic takeover of the house at midterm elections would increase impeachment odds.

6. The line of succession.
    -mostly, conservatives like Pence
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/chance-donald-trump-impeached/

V-2 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  14. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Trump likely wont be impeached even with a Democratic House. His base is deep. Not that wide but deep. If the House goes to the dems and Trump falls into 20 percentages, then I will change my mind.

15. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    [face_laugh]

If that was the actually speaking fee, President Clinton would have been a fool to turn it down.

16. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    This is certainly a very good and interesting show. It really shows that reality isn't as black and white as most people would believe:

For the missing part which has frozen around 19:00 to 21:00 with Eric Johnson, you can watch the other video below:

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I really do wonder what people see in Trump. He's not handsome, charming, or intelligent. Here he is apparently verifying that Israel was the source of the classified information he divulged to the Russians, while seeking to provide assurance to the Israelis....
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...05/22/trump-said-what/?utm_term=.f58efc37c324

Trump says, “I never mentioned the word or the name Israel in that conversation.” But it was never alleged that Trump told the Russians that Israel was the source of the intelligence, just that he shared the information with the Russians.

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    he was the loudest guy in the room and he was very vocal in his hatred of president obama.

seriously, that's it. why else would conservatives support a man who spent 68 of his 70 years as a democrat, is grossly/hilariously unqualified and totally uninterested in learning any sort of policy, and an admitted sexual assaulter.

the humiliation of living under 8 years of president obama was the reason they showed up. there's nothing else there.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Populism and a dislike of "the status quo." At least those are reasons I understand even if I don't agree.

The fact that some people like the whole "alpha male" and "anti-PC" (whatever the hell that means) demeanor is really scary though.

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    1 million imprisoned adults, and you think I'm trolling?

21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    People were largely sick of politicians who look and sound like they were constructed by committee in a factory. And let's be honest, Hillary Clinton (and Mitt Romney before her) do not look and sound like human beings. Now, not everyone who thought this voted for Trump, but a lot did.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's one reason I liked Bernie. :p

Rew likes this.
  23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    . . .

So how did Spicer "say it best" if you don't agree that Comey politicized the investigation and you don't think firing him helped? Your position is literally the exact opposite of what he said. And if there is evidence that Comey was acting improperly, why doesn't Donald Trump, as President of the United States, just release that information to the public, as he as already noted on Twitter that he is legally capable of doing at any time? And why didn't he do that instead of knowingly ask multiple people to lie for over 24 hours about why he fired Comey in the first place?

What is the point? What is he even talking about, and what are you trying to defend?

24. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
  25. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Speaking of "mildly nauseous", anyone else see Benjamin Netanyahu stick his head most of the way up Trump's butt today?

And Texas passed a law this afternoon allowing publicly-funded adoption agencies the right to refuse to deal with those who are single, gay, or non-Christian. Yep.

New slogan--"Everything's dumber in Texas".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.